“Poor Service and Over Priced!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Newbury

The Newbury
Reserve with OpenTable
The Newbury is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 187 Restaurants in Newbury
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Newbury is a stylish and unique Gastropub in the heart of Newbury town centre. The food is made fresh on site from locally sourced artisan produce. The drinks offering features a carefully selected wine list through to local real ales, lagers and high end spirits. Open seven days a week for lunch and dinner as well as a great brunch menu at the weekend, The Newbury caters for those looking for a real dining experience as well as for customers who just fancy a light bite - with the open kitchen as the focal point of the establishment. The pub has a warm welcoming feel with a spacious bar area, relaxing lounge area, separate dining area, private dinning rooms, state of the art multimedia meeting rooms, upstairs cocktail bar and also a spacious roof terrace where we can cater for parties of all sizes. Have a walk round, absorb the vibrant atmosphere. Discover our chef's table and our deli dresser with homemade piccalilli, sauces and bread baked fresh daily.
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Poor Service and Over Priced!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

My friends and I decided to go out for a meal at The Newbury. There were 11 of us and we go out often so we try and make it as easy for the restaurant by pre ordering but they said, "No that won't be necessary. We can handle it.” We paid a £5 per person deposit and again we expected that with a large group.
On the night we agreed to meet at the bar at 19:15 to sit down for 20:00. We always have a straggler but that night we all arrived in good time and while we could see our table was set and ready for us we weren’t allowed to sit down until 19:50. It was 20:10 by the time a bored young woman took our orders for starters and nearly an hour before they arrived. We saw many people coming in after us being seated and served before we had a look in. The staff seemed oblivious to the customers and when we tried to get their attention they would turn away. I think they need some training on how to look after the customers. It wasn’t just us as I noticed other customers trying to get their attention and being ignored.
When the food did arrive it was pretty good but over priced. One of our group had ordered lamb but when it came it was more fat then meat. The rest of us cleaned our plates so that was probably a one off mistake of the chef. The drinks were over priced and that wasn’t helpful.
When the bill arrived our prepaid deposit hadn’t been deducted from the bill and nor had the lamb that they had agreed to take off the bill. I really begrudged paying a service charge for appallingly slow service. From the other patrons I would assume they are aiming for the young trendy crowd who seem to think it’s cool to pay over the odds for mediocrity. On the plus side they are giving some local artists a chance to sell their works but even those were overpriced.
All in all I will not be going back. There are better places with better prices and much, much better service.

• Visited March 2013
TheNewbury, General Manager at The Newbury, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor I wish to apologise if you feel you had a bad experience on the evening you visited. We really appreciate genuine feedback from our customers (good and bad) as it helps us to improve our business. However I do feel I must respond to clear up a few of the issues mentioned in your write up.
- We book people in at certain times for a reason, this particularly applies to big tables in order to stagger the orders going in to the kitchen to try and reduce any prolonged waiting for food to reach our guests. Our kitchen is quite small and although your table for 11 people was ready at 7.15, we couldn't have taken your order at this time as it would have clashed with the tables booked in before you. Thus we hold off on seating people until the time they are booked in.
- We have times on all of our orders that go in to the kitchen and I monitor these times regularly to make sure our customers are not waiting too long for their food. If I feel there has been a wait, and unfortunately this can happen in busy restaurants from time to time, I will approach the table to explain the situation. We aim to get starters out within 20mins and I can honestly say that I don't feel any table has had to wait an hour for their first course.
- I'm sorry you felt like our menu is over priced, we try and offer a wide range of prices on our dishes to suit every budget. It is really important to us to try and source all of our ingredients as locally as possible and we make everything from scratch in our kitchen. This in turn is more time consuming but we believe this is worth paying a little bit more for as the end result is tastier and of much better quality than something we could buy in ready made or frozen.
- All of our fish is sustainably caught and from British seas which causes it to be slightly more expensive, but we are really passionate about supporting sustainabilty within the fishing industry as so many common species of fish are now being over caught in our seas and declining at an alarming rate.
- Our meat we source from local farms and is organically reared; giving the animal the best possible life but again this comes at a cost.
- Unfortunately the costs of beer and wine continue to rise, with beer duty going up 42% in the last 3 years which has had a big impact on the pub industry currently seeing 39 pub closures a week. I believe our prices on drinks are quite competitive with beer from £2.80 and wines from as little as £2.75 a glass.
- We only add service charge on to tables of 6 or more and this is clearly stated on our menus as a "discretionary" service charge. We would never expect our customers to pay service charge unless they were totally happy with the service they had received so would have been more than happy to remove it if you had said at the time.
- I agree regular staff training is key to running a successful business of this nature. We are currently forming a new team of staff here at The Newbury and once established we will be doing regular service, wine, coffee and menu training sessions to maintain consistency, build a strong team and give the best experience we can to our customers.
- We have only been open as The Newbury for 7 months so as we are still evolving, we are definitely not aiming for any particular clientele. We have a very passionate and hard working team and want everyone of all ages trendy or not to be able to enjoy the food and service we offer here.
Thank you again for your time and if there is anything you would like to discuss further please don't hesitate to get in touch.
Kind regards.

Newbury, England, United Kingdom
“Nice local pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Since the Newbury has undergone its renovation we have visited on a variety of occasions and always really enjoyed the experience. Its the the most amazing food in the world but its consistently good and theres a nice variety on the menu. The staff are brilliant and really friendly and the decor and general ambiance is great. I struggle to find good places to go out and eat in the town centre and this place is definitely worth a visit.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Lucia S
“Lovely Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have visited The Newbury several times since it first opened and it consistently delivers.

A good varied menu in choice and price and all of the food is fresh, high quality and great flavors.

A nice buzzy atmosphere without being to loud.

There are a lot of staff and service is good although sometimes you have to attract their attention.

I am pleased that having established itself in the past 6 months, it is now busy, well deserved and the best place to eat in Newbury town centre.

1 Thank Chris M
Cardiff
“Lovely night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I visited with 2 other couples on Friday 8th February 2013 whilst visiting Newbury, I found it through Trip Advisor and glad we went, the atmosphere was excellent loud and happy. We were then shown a nice large table which was ours for the night, excellent service and food was fab, had an extremely enjoyable evening with great friends
Would defo recommend

1 Thank mariapCardiff
reading, berkshire, UK
“The evening ended better than it started”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I had reserved a table for 4 people on the restaurant's webiste, but when we arrived there was apparently no record of the booking - bearing in mind that the restaurant was full and it was a Saturday night I was already thinking of Plan B and where to take our guests. Fortunately the girl on reception pulled out all the stops and offered us a round of drinks free gratis while she was sorting things out. After about 10 minutes we were seated at our table and from then on in it was all good - we ate the crab tortellini and the devilled livers - we really enjoyed both although the 2 in our party who ordered the livers said they could be more devilled not enough spice for their taste. The crab was divine. For mains we ordered the lamb, turbot and the burgers, we all enjoyed the mains very much. For pudding we opted for the chocolate tart and apple tartain, which was lovely. We also indulged in some cocktails which were delicious. With wine and a few other drinks through the evening it worked out @ £50 per head. We will definitely be back.

2 Thank blueandwhitehoops