New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hare and Hounds Hotel

Hare and Hounds Hotel
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Newbury
Newbury
“Lovely food, excellent value, friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

This is a restaurant review. We went to The Hare for Sunday lunch on 22nd January and, as usual, the welcome was warm, the staff friendly and the food excellent. My husband and I chose the market roast of the day, which was pork, tender and melting. My stepdaughter and her boyfriend opted for the Good Old Boy steak pie and the famous fish pie respectively. Both were delicious, so much so that they happily swapped meals half way through so that they could sample both! In spite of a party of ten due in at any moment, the staff remained unflappable and attentive without being overly obtrusive, which is just the way it should be. The Hare is consistently good, supplying excellent food at a reasonable price - we really enjoyed our lunch and can unreservedly recommend the restaurant.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Freemans Bay, Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We stayed at the Hare & Hounds Hotel over Christmas 2011 whilst visiting my partner's family who live locally.
From start to finish, the staff and management treated us like royalty. Nothing was too much trouble and the atmosphere is warm and fun with the staff full of smiles and banter (exactly what you expect from an old English inn but don't always get!). The pub itself has an excellent range of beverages and a fantastic menu which did not disappoint. Our room was spacious, clean and very relaxing to be in. Comfy bed, great bathroom and excellent tea/coffee/biscuit supplies which were regularly topped up! The room is nicely furnished and there was plenty of space for our copious luggage. Heaps of free parking and the Hare of Hounds is a pleasant 15 minute walk from Newbury township and only a 10 minute walk to the local supermarket.
We will definitely be staying here again and have been passing on our positive feedback to local friends. Thank you so much to Jonathan, Mel and the team!

Room Tip: We stayed in a room in the building at the back of the pub but feel that all rooms would be of equal...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Lovely old pub - great atmosphere and comfortable. Staff were very welcoming and even did us some chips despite the kitchen being closed - we'd got stuck in traffic on the way. Rooms a good size and I slept very well. Bathrooms snug and water pressure isn't good but then the pub is 250 years old!! It's excellent value for money and breakfast was fresh and lots of it. Would definitely stay again - much nicer than the other places we've stayed at in Newbury. Is perfectly placed for the racecourse as well - recommended.

Room Tip: The rooms outside are like having your private place - great.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
riojaman1, Owner at Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Hi
Sincere thanks for taking the time to leave your lovely comments. Glad the chips went down well and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Jonathan, Jean and all at The Hare & Hounds
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

I did a review on here based on the first stay myself and my family did in December 2006. I grew in Cardiff but live in Los Angeles now. My brother and mother still live in Cardiff and so I come over every year or so. I stay at the H&H because I can't do the drive from Heathrow to Cardiff after a transatlantic trip without falling asleep.

My last stay at H&H was at the end of September, 2011. Must have been my fifth stay and I am sure the owner has no idea who I am or how much I love his B&B.

In short, this place was great once more. Comfy bed, quiet, an apology for sticking me in a small room (the stable) because they were busy. But how much room does one need ? Dinner was great. I had the curry. Then the owner came and gave me the desert menu. he had a weird look on his face when I said no desert, "..... but I'll have another of what I just ate because it was so good.".

Breakfast was also fantastic. Tasty, not slathered in grease, lots of tea.

I'll make every effort to stay in this place. Next time, I'm bringing my wife and daughter and we'll explore the local area for a night or two.

Room Tip: Book well ahead of time because they fill up fast.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank gimills
the wirral
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

our weekend in newbury got off to a good start first impresion of the inn was a lovely cozy place with freindly staff , unfortunatly old inn old water system , no water to our shower . Problem solved with in half an hour moved to another room , lovely. These things happen. We can only give claire and her staff ten out of ten for the way they looked after us , people should always take into acount the age of some of these hotels , b n bs , inns and just how much they are paying for a nights bed and breakfast, Hare and hound newbury . Good place , good staff , good food , happy days

• Stayed October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars
hareandhounds, Owner at Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Many thanks, Our dear Olde Inn is over 250 years old, but in the main copes well in competition with the big chains, and particularly so on the service and food side.
Most of her little wobbles are quickly solved and I personally am very proud of how Our Inn and Our hard working Staff keep the heritage of the Hare and Hounds with pride
Jonathan
Swansea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

Please excuse my rather late review as my stay was the weekend of sept 10th 2011.I booked a room for myself and my daughter as we were attending a friends wedding nearby. A lot of the wedding party were also staying here and a table had been booked and meals ordered well in advance to make the hotels life easier on the evening of our stay. When I checked in I was dissapointed by the shabby small room in the main building we had been allocated (room 6 I belive), but after a 9 hour coach journey was pleased to arrive and looking forward to dinner as both myself and my daughter were famished. We were told we would be eating at 8-8.15pm. It was 10pm before any food arrived! My 9 year old daughter was very tired hungry and upset by this point but all the staff could say was it was really busy and they were trying! When the food did arrive it was very average (we both had steak) and it was so late my daughter barely touched it. When we went upstairs to bed it became clear we were in totally the wrong room as it overlooked the garden, which was full of people drinking and enjoying themselves (you have to question why they would put a child in this room) so we got very little sleep and woke up feeling terrible. It was not a good experince and we would not return or recomend it too anyone with children.

Room Tip: Ask not to be put in the main building if you have children
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
It is a shame when things get distorted, I have twice left messages in order to discuss this complaint but had no reply!
Unfortunately "the devil" here is in the lack of detail;
I have erred in replying out of respect to the Brides mother, and The Bride and Groom, who were fully understanding when the second sitting booked for 8pm went from 12 to 28 people on a night when we were fully booked already.
I would like to again thank the family and particularly the Bridegroom who was incredibly helpful in accepting my suggestion that the best course and fairest to other booked diners, was to delay the group till 9.15. All the party were duly served by 9.30 and I really felt we had done our utmost in dealing with a difficult situation.
The noisy garden was the very wedding guests our reviewer was with, who despite the delay were indeed enjoying themselves and left at 11pm, The room is on the first floor and I do not understand the comment reference children. We have many families to stay who enjoy our service and the care we instil in our staff to take care of them. I also feel that to describe the room as shabby is in the least unfair.
I am sincerely upset and sorry whenever we fail to please any guest, but do feel that we as a hotel and I as a caring owner, we have been denied the understanding here that the family showed on the evening.
Dorset, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Stayed for a weekend and would thoroughly recommend it. The room was clean and tidy, it had a great big comfy bed and spare pillows which is unusual in budget hotels... TV was new, and decor was obviously fairly recently updated so all in all a bit of a bargain!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple