“Very Pleasant”

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Very Pleasant”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Very convenient. Well away from the main road so no traffic noise. Rooms were clean, fresh, very comfortable and overlooking woodland. Staff were friendly and helpful. Little Chef next door for good value food.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2014

This travel lodge is easy to find and has a very good location. Food is available very nearby. Our greeting was very friendly and helpful. We were a little bit early, but our rooms were ready, so were able to go in early. The travel lodge has recently been refurbished, and is very clean and comfortable, especially the beds and pillows. The manager was so friendly, a very nice lady. Dogs are also accepted at this travel lodge, which we have taken advantage of on a previous visit. Over all I would recommend this travel lodge for comfort, friendliness and exceptional value for money

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 9, 2014

This hotel is in the middle of nowhere. Do not come here if you plan to take train or bus, as there is nothing around it or walking distance. I came to Newbury for work. I guess the price makes up for this. Be wary that wifi is not included in the price and you will need to pay an extra for it. The room was big and roomy. As is common with most travelodge, there was nothing special, no fridge, no couch. Simply a tv, a desk and a bed. The hotel staff were on the other hand very good and trusthworthy. My colleague forgot a cellphone in the room and they were happy to contact us to tell us we had forgotten an item.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Excellent value for money, very high standards of cleanliness and comfort. Friendly and helpful Reception Staff. Room was spacious, bright and spotlessly clean. Good strong jet from shower - always a plus. Well done, thank you.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Swansea
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed here as our stopover to Paultons Park, Romsey. We arrived later than expected and the lady on reception was very welcoming. She gave me the key explained how to get in and out of the hotel with the security fob and mentioned what time Little Chef and McDonald's opened.

We stayed in room 115 which was at the back of the hotel facing a woodland. The room was made up of 2 single beds on either side of a double bed, so plenty of space for 2 adults and 2 children.

For the price I paid, I can't really complain, the only thing I will say is that the room was quite warm and there was no fan so it was a bit stuffy even with the window open (birds woke me up at 5:30am) and the shower wasn't very powerful.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to get their head down for a night or two.

The reception staff in the morning on departure were also very friendly.

I annoyingly left my baby's blanket at the hotel but did not realise until I got home, so I rang the hotel to see if they found it and they did. It was explained to me that in order for me to get the blanket back I would have to send a pre-paid envelope for them to post it back to me. I decided not to bother doing this as the blanket was not that expensive and had no real sentimental value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back so you don't risk being woken up with cars parking outside and slammi...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Rhia2000
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I've stayed at this Travelodge on many occasions now as I have a customer in nearby Newbury. I first stayed in August 2013 and always make it my first choice of hotel when I’m in this area as the company I work for have a special deal with Travelodge and we always use them when field staff travel. In the past I’ve always found the Tot Hill Services Travelodge to be a particularly good one as I stay in many Travelodge’s across the UK. If I'd have written this review last year, I'd have given either 4 or 5 stars without question.

I've never had an issue with this hotel in the past - very quiet location, adjoining Little Chef etc. However my most recent visit (27/05/2014) has prompted me to write this negative review due to how angry it made me.

After checking in and getting up to my room, I found that after un-packing my laptop and booting it up that there was no 3G coverage in my room for my new mobile phone which acts as my Wi-Fi access when I travel away with work. This was the first time I'd used the phone at this hotel. I noticed that there was however 3G coverage in the car park and recalled being asked by the receptionist when I arrived if I wanted a room close to the nearby Little Chef's free Wi-Fi, which I initially declined, preferring a quieter rear-facing room.

I therefore packed up my laptop and grabbed my case and not having touched anything in the room headed back to the reception to request a change of room to the front. Upon doing so, I was told “I’m sorry sir, you’ve already taken possession of the room, there’s nothing I can do as there are no cleaners now on site and we’re fully booked tonight.”

I advised the receptionist that I had not even touched the bed or used any of the facilities, towels etc. and couldn’t see an issue with a simple room exchange. Bizarrely, the receptionist started to question my usage of the room “You’ve not used the bed?” to which I replied, “No”. To my utter disbelief she then asked “Have you used the toilet?” (which I hadn't) so I again replied “No!”

Then, unbelievably she asked “Well what have you been doing then?”. In hindsight I should have told her to mind her own business(!), however I simply replied that I had entered the room, put down my case, logged on to my laptop and attempted several times to connect to my 3G connection (which I couldn’t), hence the change of room request to a front facing room with better mobile coverage or the possibility of picking up the neighbouring Little Chef’s free Wi-Fi (as I had been asked when I arrived).

I was utterly disgusted at her next questions which implied to me that she perceived me to be a liar “So you’ve not used the toilet then?” to which I again firmly confirmed “No!”. Unbelievably this was immediately followed up with the question (in a very patronising manner) “Are you sure?” gazing at me as if I’d lied previously!

I was on the verge of exploding into a fit of rage at this point, almost wishing to march her up to the room to show her that I was not lying, but I retained my anger (as other guests had arrived to check in) and stated that I had not used the toilet nor any facilities in the room and now demanded a change of room. My request was then dealt with immediately and I was able to change rooms straight away without any more of my activities in the hotel being scrutinised.

I got the impression that the receptionist judged me based on my appearance. I am a 31 year old professional, yet I look much younger than my age. I had also travelled for 4 hours in the car from Leeds and had travelled in a t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms for my own comfort. Whether my appearance resulted in the receptionist perceiving me to be a liar or a trouble causer is questionable, but I doubt a more senior person would have been cross examined to the extent I was this evening!

The only reason I have not given this hotel a 1 star is because of the refurbishment which makes the hotel a much better venue than before. I will however think twice about staying here again based on the receptionist’s behaviour this afternoon / evening.

I appreciate that if a hotel is fully booked and a room change is requested by a guest that this isn’t always possible, as I fully understand that all rooms must be pristine for the arrival of guests. However this shouldn’t be an issue when nothing has been used in the room other than a power socket and I believe that the receptionist could have handled the situation in a much more professional manner. I would have been more than happy if her first question was “Yes, we can do that but only if I can check the condition of the room you’ve been given if that’s okay? (As we’ve no cleaners now on site)”. I wouldn't have had any issue with this.

Common sense was all that was needed here, not rudeness.

Room Tip: The rear facing rooms are much quieter as they face a tranquil tree setting, but the mobile phone co...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Jonathan V
Padstow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Have stayed here at least four times a year for the last 6 years and it just get better each time. Love the refurb and comfy beds are excellent even to the choice of singles if required is great. The staff are always pleasant and very helpful as one of us is disabled and they go the extra mile to make sure our needs are catered for. Little Chef across the entrance is excellent value and you can even go in your slippers as you don't have to leave the building.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple