“excellent”

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Newport, United Kingdom
“excellent”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

My Wife & I stayed here overnight prior to our wedding reception at this venue.
I can only praise the staff, the food & accommodation it was all 5star quality. It was also good value for money. Well done Newbury Manor.

Room Tip: Have your Wedding reception here.... You won't regret it
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Wiltshire
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

I like it here: great setting, quiet, big rooms. Clean with home made biscuits in the room. Bit tatty round the edges and the beds could do with an upgrade really but it has a certain charm.
I ate breakfast and evening meals over two days and they were exceptionally good. Service exemplary. Recommended!

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I went for afternoon tea on a Saturday afternoon with some friends. Having been there before and enjoyed it i thought it would be a good idea to go back, what a mistake, the presentation was awful, sandwiches were ok, the scones were dry, and not convinced the cake was home made, if it was not freshly made. The service was nt good either I think its called attitude by the supervisor, would nt go back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank B B
Ringwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed here just one night . There were beautiful views of a stream/river in the grounds. In the summer it must be perfect to be able to stroll around the lawns. Breakfast was served in a glass surrounded building on an island with water lapping at the edges.

Room Tip: Bentley room has good views. Penthouse although large has sloping ceilings with no views
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2014

The Newbury Manor has the potential to be a lovely hotel, it is set in lovely surroundings and has lots of character. Unfortunately it does however need a lot of TLC and updating generally.
We arrived and our TV needed replacing as the remote wouldn't work, we then found out that the ironing board didn't work either, our patio doors that led out onto a small patio area were not locked and we only found this out by luck, the security risk being on the ground floor is big with the door key hanging on a chain by the lock??!! The bed was very uncomfortable and the mattress had definitely seen better days.
We paid £80 for the night as part of a New Year deal, I believe the published rate is £120 per night, I would never pay this price to stay here.
Most of the staff were very friendly and helpful and breakfast was good.
If I was to stay here again, it would have to be at an updated Newbury Manor.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Bridgend
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I had a good deal on Booking.com and stayed for one night. The journey had been difficult due to very stormy weather but the receptionist allowed me to check in early. The room was big and had a jacuzzi as well as the shower room. The window was draughty and you could see outside through the gap. I wedged lots of tissue paper in it which solved the problem. The hotel doesn't have a lift but when I asked for assistance in carrying my case this was done straight away. My bags were put into my car for me the following morning also. The restaurant must be very pleasant at certain times of year but unfortunately on the night I stayed there was torrential rain and high winds which made walking across the bridge in poor lighting not the best experience. The weather had improved by the morning so breakfast was much more pleasant and perfectly cooked. The hotel is in beautiful surroundings and is in a great position for visiting the surrounding area.

Room Tip: Take a big umbrella if the weather is bad.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Newbury
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Lovely Christmas at the Manor with family. The meal on Christmas Eve was exceptional, the staff
were very attentive, and we all had a superb evening. My partner and I joined them for lunch on Christmas Day and we all had a very enjoyable time, yet again a great meal, and we would certainly recommend this venue as a superb place to spend Christmas.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family