“wonderful restaurant”

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Buxton, United Kingdom
“wonderful restaurant”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

we had our wedding celebration meal in the riverbar restaurant on Saturday 23rd March and it could not have been better! Our requests were all fulfilled about table layout and chilled champagne served to us on arrival by the lovely staff. Food here is wonderful and the setting is stunning by the river! We all had choices from the set menu which is such a bargain for the quality of the food served. Thank you so much to all concerned for making it a lovely afternoon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Dunboyne, Ireland
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Hi, I arrived last Saturday and I found the staff to be courteous and polite. They went out of their way to help you and went beyond the call of duty. The hotel itself was very clean as were the rooms. The food was excellent and service in the restaurant was great.

The only downside to the hotel was that it is about 25 minutes walk from the Town Centre, but don't let that worry you, because Newbury has a great bus and taxi service. The typical taxi fare from the station is about £6.50 although Sunday is time and a half.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Newbury manor for a relaxing night away from the kids and was not disappointed. All the staff are friendly and more than willing to help with anything. The restaurant was good,can't wait to come back in summer and sit out on the decking watching the river go by.

• Stayed March 2013
Newbury, Berkshire
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We chose the Newbury Manor Hotel for our Daughters wedding because of the location and the beautiful layout of the property. Thanks to Jamie McDonald General Manager the event was amazing no request was to trivial. The waiting staff and reception staff could not have been more polite or helpful. I would definitely recommend the Newbury Manor Hotel to anyone wanting to hold a wedding there. We also booked over half the rooms at the hotel for friends and family to stay over and the rooms were very nice and well looked after. We had some people with specific dietry requirements which were met superbly all the dishes at the event were explained to all guests so as they knew what they were being served.. Many of our guests have been in touch with us since the wedding to compliment the venue choice and how fantastic the welcome from all the team had been. Over all a fantastic weekend that went without a hitch but i must stress that this was mainky due to Jamie and his amazing team. We will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tony C
Newbury Berkshire
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Chose the Newbury Manor Hotel as they had a lovely room and could provide food for children and adults at the party. I could have gone for a cheaper option of Village Hall but wanted to be able to watch the kids at the party and chat to the adults and not have to be serving the food. However, the service was very poor. The food for the children was not ready at the specified time and was just left on a table outside so that we had to serve the children their food, although theirs was not a buffet. The parents ended up having to clear the main course plates from the table so that the children could have their desert and had to go behind the bar to give the children water as the squash we paid for only appeared after the meal was over, I was so embarrassed. I am writing this review so that it will prompt the Manager to contact me. We made a complaint at the time Saturday 9th March and the Wedding Co-ordinator wrote down all our points, she did deduct £50 from our bill, our total bill was in excess of £400. She advised that 2 people had phoned in sick that morning, we appeared to have one person assigned to us who disappeared for 10 minutes at a time. We continually had to ask him for water for the children which arrived over 45 minutes after we first asked for it. There was no ketchup on the table and it took over 10 minutes to arrive. The Wedding Co-ordinator said that she would discuss with the Sales Co-ordinator the following week and come back to me, she was well aware that we expected a further reduction in our bill. Over a week has gone bye and I have heard nothing. The Manager does appear to take reviews on Trip Advisor as important, so hopefully he will read this and get back to me. On a positive note, the function room was lovely and the food for the children and adults was very good, however, the hotel was let down by the service.

• Stayed March 2013
Crowthorne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2013

i booked this hotel on the 28th of feb as it was my bf 25th birthday... we booked a hot tub room they only have two hot tub rooms and one of them is nude and the other is decorated like a jungle but the decor was AWFUL, i was promised the nude room but when we arrived i was given the jungle room i was really disappointed we stayed and tried to make the most of it... that night we went for a meal elsewhere and my card declined and i've never been so humiliated in my life, when i called my bank i was told Newbury manor took 2 payments of £170 so ruined our hole evening then the next morning when i rang the MANAGER he said he takes 1000's of payments everyday and basically tried to tell me i have incifiant funds which i thought was very rude so he said he would ring his bank and give me a CALL BACK but he didn't bother calling me back so i called and spoke to one of his staff that night who told me they did take it twice and he's refunded me but HE DIDNT EVEN HAVE THE DECENCY TO CALL AND APOLOGISE... Im discussed in the way i've been treated !! will never go back or recommend it to anyone!! DO NOT STAY IN ROOM 32

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank april1216
Jamie M, General Manager at Newbury Manor Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear april1216

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Tripadvisor does allow guests to write their own view on the events that have taken place, whether or not it is factual. It also allows the hotel the chance to reply to reviews giving its own take on it.

I am sorry to read that you did not like the decor of room 32. We get lots of positive feedback from this room and it seems that it was not to your taste, that is personal choice.

In your review you write that we took 2 payments of £170.00 and on the evening of your stay you went for a meal elsewhere. On your arrival at the hotel we took a pre authorisation of payment as is exceptionally common in all hotels as I explained to you on the phone. The completion of the transaction was performed on the Friday morning after you left the hotel claiming to the receptionist that you had already paid. I strongly disagree that we took 2 payments from you and this has been confirmed by both card services and our bank. Therefore I cannot explain why your card was declined on the Thursday evening, and am sorry that the police were called to the restaurant you were in as you explained to me on the phone. I would suggest you take this up with your bank. At no point did we discuss insufficient funds in your account and only the processes of a pre authorisation and completion. During my conversation with card services they confirmed to me only a pre authorisation was taken followed by a completion with the same details and authorisation code.

I agree that I did say that I would call you back and I actually took your details with me and rang you later on that day, twice from my mobile as I was actually off duty and on leave, but unfortunately you did not answer my call.
I have spoken to the receptionist you called and she tells me that at no point did she say that you were charged twice and we refunded you. This will be clearly be shown on your statement.

We do appreciate all feedback at the Newbury Manor Hotel, positive or negative and again I thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Kind regards

Jamie McDonald

Travelers are raving about these Newbury hotels

Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Lovely hotel stayed loads of time for work. The setting is peaceful and the rooms are well appointed. If the restaurant isnt to your liking there is plenty of choice in Newbury.

Got boucned once due to over booking but they get me a room elsewhere.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear scubaian

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am glad to read your kind words. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards