“Mixed experiences which on balance could have been bettered”

and 1 more site!
Newbury Manor Hotel
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stay at the Newbury Manor for business. It's certainly leagues better than the Mercure Elcot Park which is a country house hotel which fails to deliver on many levels and which comes across as very poorly managed.

So the good things about The Newbury Manor:

• Setting: next to a river with a weir and some lovely gardens - very picturesque
• Food: evening meals and breakfast are of good quality and plenty of choice. Food is cooked to order, none of the hideous heat-lamp buffets and pathetic toasting machines which so many hotels think is acceptable.
• Large sittings for group dinners (20+ people) really well organised with name-cards which have the 3 courses written underneath so that the staff can see what you pre-ordered and don't have to constantly interrupt your conversations to check.
• Flexibility: one of my colleagues has specific dietary requirements, they managed to accommodate her needs really well.

The things which could be improved:

• Rooms: these are now looking very tired and things don't work. For example on my first stay the shower screen was useless and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't avoid flooding the bathroom floor. The 2nd time I stayed the remote for the TV didn't function at all, there was a constant noise of water tanks re-filling throughout the night (it was an attic room). The complimentary cookie jar with home-made cookies (nice homely touch) fastener was broken so all the cookies were soft and inedible. My colleagues room the distance from the toilet to the loo roll holder was so far she has to stand to get it!! All these things would/should be noted by housekeeping and flagged for maintenance to repair. I wonder why this hasn't happened? Why are the team not "thinking customer" as they perform their duties, they must know these rooms intimately?
• Decor: is really old-fashioned and not in a good way. My 2nd stay was in a room which I nicknamed the Kon-Tiki Suite, as it contained 70/80"s bamboo bed and furniture which was so wrong for the country house setting. Wall decorations are generally confused throughout the property. It's a country house hotel, decorate it as one or do as many have - blend the decoration with uber-nodern contemporary designs which offer an interesting relief.
• Bathroom layout: in my recent stay the mirror is positioned over the toilet, some 4 feet from the sink. I'm assuming this room wasn't designed by a man who has to shave! A barber's circular hinged mirror would solve the problem here and would be a minor investment. The sink which is narrow has a glass shelf positioned just at the right height to hit your forehead as you wash!
• Service in the restaurant was painfully slow on the evening we ate there and dishes were served luke warm which means food is plated up and then left sitting in the kitchen. It look us nearly 2 hours to have 3 courses and we're not slow eaters.
• Staff: some greet you, some don't. The best example of this is when you pass reception first thing in the morning on your way to the restaurant. I have had a very energetic "good morning sir!" from one member of staff and been watched and verbally ignored by others on different stays.

So, in conclusion this is an OK hotel which with a few tweaks and some investment (not just financial) could be so much better and be raved about by every single guest; guests who feel they've enjoyed a beautiful setting and a product/service to match the setting.

I hope they take the challenge as it has so much potential to be better.

Room Tip: I can't recommend the Kingsclear room - with a bamboo bed as used by Thor Heyerdah to sail the...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Jamie M, General Manager at Newbury Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Dear Corporatedrama

Thank you for your review. It is great to read your positive comments and I thank you for these.

I have sat down with the team to discuss your various comments so that we can rectify these problems going forward. We are in the process of refurbishing all our bedrooms at the hotel, which I am sure will show us in a lot brighter light.

I apologise for our shortcomings and I do hope this will not put you off returning in the near future.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Newbury Manor was a lovely venue for the family and friends (total 14 people) 'get together' in the evening, after an entertaining day at the races (15 minutes easy walk from hotel). The pre ordered evening meal was excellent,chosen from a menu offering good variety.
Breakfast was equally as good. Service throughout the stay was very good, with staff helpful and friendly.
5 of the 6 rooms occupied were of good quality, however, avoid room 7 -it is in need of renovation and heating would not adjust, which made comfortable sleep difficult.
Otherwise hotel recommended.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear sarah H

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. it is very pleasing to read your kind words and have passed these onto the the team.

You will be please to know that we have just completed the renovation of room 7 so that it brings it up to the high standards of our other recently refurbished bedrooms.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed in September in a hot hub room, room was nice and big, clean and the hot tub (outside) was just fab!! Resterant not a huge choice but food was great, but best of all the area it was just so pretty! Would highly recommend and would defiantly stay again!

• Stayed: September 2012
Jamie M, General Manager at Newbury Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear Anne-17-08-88

Thank you for your kind review. I do hope that I can personnally welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

When i rang to book the hot tub room i asked if it was 'private' yes came the reply. it was enclosed by a fence with a tacky gazebo over the top, but all three rooms above overlooked it (in daylight we could also see the film of grit on the bottom). the hot tub room picture which is posted on their actually webpage turn out to be the bridal suite (nothing like false advertising). we ordered room service and was told there isnt a charge, when it arrived not only was a room charge added but the food was cold. The sign in the the bathroom regarding you had to wait a few minutes for hot water was good, unfortunatly no hot water actually came through even after waiting for 15 minutes.
I have to say the grounds are lovely and they have made the most of the resturant overlooking the water, however money needs to be spent brininging it up to standard.
Overall i was really disappointed as my husband and i dont get away alone much and this hotel just didnt come up to my expectations :(

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dawn w

Dear dawn w

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry to read your comments and will act upon these with the team. I do hope that you will be able to return in the near future and see a much improved hot tub area.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Last weekend my wife and I stayed at Newbury Manor for two nights; we had planned to stay for just one but decided to book in for another night as the service was so good. We are looking to move into the area and will use this as a base again. Jamie, the General Manager, and his staff were attentive to our needs. Jamie spent time with us pointing out local areas on we should go and visit. Food was excellent was, bedrooms clean and comfortable and the whole experience was very reasonable. Look forward to visiting again very soon.

Room Tip: Book early as often busy
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear RobertAngell101

Think you for your kind words. I have passed on your comments to the team and hope that when you relocate to the area we can welcome you to the hotel on a more regular occurance.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We got married here on 1st September. We had some teething problems to start: change of staff; saying one thing in one email, then another in a follow up email; changing the prices we were charged compared to the wedding contract that they had insisted we had; losing some room bookings; trying to charge guests more than the price we agreed.

However, they were responsive to emails. On the day, they pulled it out of the bag (barring a minor hiccup where they forgot we had paid for chair sashes but quickly resolved). The ceremony room and ballroom looked gorgeous, the tables were laid as agreed, including extra gifts, they stored the homemade chocolate cake with no cover and minimal grumbling, went above and beyond the call of duty when our DJ system let us down with support and suggestions, kept the day running smoothly, food was fabulous (and I am not easy to please - in fact NMH called me 'particular'. It's true) and we were impressed by the service and manner of all staff involved.

Our room was the Kingsclere with the Jacuzzi bath - downside is that we believe that as a result of the Jacuzzi the room became very hot but it was great fun to use. The homemade biscuits in the room were lovely and so was breakfast, although it does always sadden me when there are no baked beans in a cooked breakfast! However, it was well cooked.

Room Tip: Get a hot tub room if you can!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank r1x

Dear r1x

Thank you for your kind review. I am glad to read that everything went well for you on the day. I do wish you all the luck in the future in your married life and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

My second visit to this hotel and I have been impressed over both stays. On this visit I received a free upgrade on my room which was a nice touch. A beautiful setting and an adorable restaurant on the rivers edge. I will return

• Stayed: September 2012
Jamie M, General Manager at Newbury Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear Flopsywopsy

Thank you for you review. I am glad to read your comments and look forward to your return.