Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
  • Restaurant
The Lodge(Newbury)
  • Pool
1,580 results
All reviewsaroma roommarket menuexecutive roomsteam roomcream teapro shopafternoon teadvd playerevening mealsecret escapeslovely hotelgreat weekendset menuchanging roomsrelaxing breakbar arearestaurant staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Having never been to this hotel before very surprised at the quality of the rooms and the facilities.
We had a bedroom on the ground floor, Good size,very clean and a comfortable bed. The bathroom had bath with seperate shower.
The men played golf on the ajoining course whilst the women spent most of the time in spa.
Good wine list but a little disapointed with sirloin steak on the small side, chese board.good.
Staff were all very helpful
We will all certainly be back again

Room Tip: Had a room on the ground floor facing the golf course. You actually cant see the course from the gound floor but very quite. Sliding doors from room lead onto patio
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Dear Treborsille,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a nice review and I am pleased to hear that rooms, spa and golf facilities were enjoyed and that you will be back!

Please do feel free to contact me directly when you are next looking at planning a visit.

Best wishes,

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Rooms were lovely and spacious; great wine list and truly deserves the award it's won. Stay at this hotel once or twice a year and always recommend to friends... Not disappointed! That well known phrase says it all...I'll be back.

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Bequila,

Once again, thank you very much for your lovely review. I am a very big fan of our wine list and completely agree that it truly does deserve all of its praise.

I do hope we are able to welcome you back soon,

Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Booked a spa day through Lastminute.com- very reasonable deal, including one treatment and a light lunch.

The pool area was clean and quiet, although there were a few random ants! The staff were quick to try to deal with them.

We ordered poolside drinks - these were very nice, although did take an age to arrive!

The spa was lovely! I could spend all day in the relaxation room! I had a facial, which I'd certainly have again. Pure heaven!

Lunch was basic, but fine. We had sandwiches served with crisps and a drink.

The sauna and steam room were lovely and quiet.
All in all a very relaxing, enjoyable break!

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Rastamouse,

Thank you for your kind feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your day with us and had the chance to experience our wonderful spa, relaxed is exactly the way you are supposed to leave!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at Donnington last night. Reputedly a 4 star establishment, obviously down to its facilities (spa and golf course) but I can tell you NOT its food! I dont expect a cold buffet breakfast to be offered to me when staying in a hotel of this standard! The restaurant staff are very pleasant, in particular one member of the waitressing staff with a Liverpool accent (all the other staff who are not front of house are foreign) who was interested in my opinion of the breakfast and said she would report my disappointment back to the chef. The sausage was so damn hard it flew off my plate. The bacon ... well it was like trying to cut through a piece of cardboard. The tomatoes were mush. And the fried egg (I prefer poached and why can't I have poached in a 4 star hotel) was freezing and undercooked. I managed to spot one that had been basted with oil slightly on the top so as to not eat raw egg white. Or I could of course had the grey looking scrambled egg that looked like it had been made 3 hours earlier.

Poor perfomance Donnington. Smarten up your act in the kitchen! And get some local preserves in for breakfast.

To my disgust, when I mentioned the very poor breakfast experience to the hotel reception staff, nobody offered to knock the cost off my bill and considering Im a Gold Member of the spa I'm pretty disappointed. I wont be staying with you again!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lisa S
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear Lisa S,

This is very disappointing feedback indeed especially from a Gold Member of our spa. I would very much welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly regarding the issues you have had with breakfast and so will be in touch shortly.

Just to clarify for other readers the hotel not only offers a breakfast buffet but also a breakfast menu which does contain poached eggs as well as boiled eggs, omlettes, eggs benedict, eggs florentine, waffles and a host of other items so I am very suprised to hear that poached eggs were not available.

Kind regards

Hotel Manager

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We went the DVH for a relaxing girlie overnight spa package.
It was £175 each but we had 3 in a room- for B&B, 1 treatment and 3 course set menu.
But we had one person on a sofa bed, so not ideal for that kind of money- we were expecting 3 single proper beds.
The spa was nice but Aroma Room not working and they did not tell us.
People seemed to put towels down on loungers and not return so we asked staff to move them- which they did.
Staff I spa did not issue us with a locker to key- but a lady in changing room gave us one each!
Staff in spa not particularly efficient.
Check In at 3pm and treatments at 6pm
The espa facial was great, my friend got a Jessica manicure and got to keep the colour - great idea.
The rooms was very small as the sofa was made in to a bed, TV, tea, coffee, fresh milk, water, nice products, great size bathroom, robes, washed slippers- I had 2 right feet!
Diner was nice- set menu 4 starters, 4 mains and 4 puddings
Wine choice great..
Bar area very nice
Breakfast was a buffet style but staff served hot option and drought tea,coffee, toast etc
Overall very good- just expensive compared to other spa overnights I have had recently.
Golf course and grounds looked nice
We went to Harry's across the road for lunch and was good..

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Libbylocket,

I would like to thank you for your feedback following your spa break with us, I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to give a review on our venue. I apologise that the room was not to your satisfaction but just to clarify for other readers that rooms for three guests will involve a sofa bed and my apologies to you ladies if this was not made clear to you upon booking. I will address the spa issues with my spa director however I am pleased that on the whole it was a very good stay.

Hotel Manager