“one of the greatest for families and kids”
Review of Regency Park Hotel

Regency Park Hotel
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed September 10, 2005

Wow! — was this some fantastic hotel or wasn't it just — one of the best ever family hotels (of course kids run around screaming outside sometimes, and maybe the the shower curtain's flimsy, and dogs sometimes bark as humans can whinge at times too, but what the heck!) we've stayed at — anywhere. Tremendous grounds and absolutely inspiring exterior — brilliant! Rabbit warren no, but corridors extensive, yes, to maximise layout economies and charge us the very least for what you get for the monies.

Restaurant's well up with the best for quality and value (see AA hotel restaurant guide for a very fair assessment), eclectic and exciting, crab and prawn parcel/white fish-tuna tartlets unusual and just right, lamb shank and fillet steaks very well sauced, pork bellies prepared with greatest care, all perfect (of course sometimes a £1-4 supplement; at their all-in prices family room £130 for two parents + 2 kids d/bb, children charged just evening food as taken) then work that one out for something over and above most other places, and for some pretty original mediterranean-styled cooking too.

Mine was a 70th b/day party (me) + Mrs + 2 daughters + 2 grandkids (4 and 8 yrs, eating well past bedtimes but loving it all), all fussy and peculiar but were wowed overboard, but then we're not stuffed shirts. Wine's a bit expensive though, but excellent, so maybe be prepared to bring your own gin and smuggle in a bit of the vino sometimes).

Fantastic gym + large clean pool all inclusive, interesting beauty treats not sampled but charged as taken. Bedrooms huge and clean (ours a generous upgrade I guess, but free as were with a group?) absolutely fabulous — most guests I'd rate as from the Chav sectors but all eminently well-behaved and interesting for the 3 generations we represented), our kids well looked after and noisy a bit sometimes, but why not, the place is for families and wedding guests, not pomposities, and all having a great time.

Daughter number two with a First from Surrey's hotel and management degree, a world leader in the subject, has trained and is experienced in some of the best Swiss, German, British and Austrian hotels. Was equally impressed and enjoyed the lot for what we'd paid).

Breakfast fantastic as hot dishes continuously replaced on counter (dream on, Hilton Hotels in America and UK with your crusted eggs and bacon by 9 am when we ate) to be fresh by hard-working staff, with smiles (of course coffee not delivered until asked for, beats those wretched Hiltons again where they insist on serving coffees too early. Here you wave a finger and up it comes just when wanted — and quick (who's dim enough to wait half an hour before they suss that one out?!)

And please don't blame hotels for charging for Broadband, kick BT and ISPs up the backside for that one!

So thanks boys and girls at Thatcham, we loved you, your service, your smiles, your speed of work. And making sure continuously we were satisfied and happy (that's never easy when you're worked so hard over the typical long hours of the hotel and restaurant trades)

— and all this is from a normally-grumpy 70-yr old whose second name's Victor.

• Stayed: September 2005
8  Thank thickastwo

Reviewed September 7, 2005

Visted the Regency Park with a friend for a relaxing night away from the kids it was fantastic. A lovely modern hotel, we went DB&B and that was great value for such a well kept hotel. The food was lovely and the surroundings were totally calming! Ajoined Spa and Leisure Club is beautiful and we had the most amazing massages ever! Will definately return with my husband soon!

• Stayed: August 2005
4  Thank Lou_Meister
A TripAdvisor Member
Cambridgeshire
Reviewed August 9, 2005

After reading the excellent reports on Tripadvisor.com we thought we would try out this hotel for our wedding anniversary (not a special one, fortunately).

First impressions of the hotel, from the exterior, are uninspiring. We were aware of the bland appearance from the photos but a dog barking loudly and a small child running around screaming, near the entrance, made it seem even less inviting.

The reception area was pleasant enough and the staff friendly but the place is a rabbit warren. Our room, an executive double, when we finally reached it, was fine, if lacking in character (we have stayed in other, equally modern but far more interesting hotels - admittedly abroad).

I must say the bed was very comfortable and the shower powerful but the flimsy shower curtain was drawn towards you as you washed.

We had booked a dinner, bed and breakfast deal and had no difficulty in getting a table at the time we wanted, in the Watermark restaurant. There was a reasonable choice of dishes on the menu but the only starter I really fancied was sold out (at 8.30 pm in a far from full restaurant!). My second choice carried a small supplementary charge, which they agreed to waive under the circumstances, although I couldn’t quite understand the extra charge anyway – the dish did not appear to contain particularly expensive ingredients.
Neither of us considered our starter to be anything special.

For my main course, I ordered the fillet steak (again, an additional charge but fair enough this time) and asked for it “rare”. It came as “medium” and I sent it back. There was no offer to take my husband’s food back too, so that we could eat at the same time. Recompense? -the supplementary charge was waived again – no real apology. The dish, when cooked as requested was delicious but could have done with a few vegetables (it was possible to order these separately but I object strongly to paying an exorbitant amount to add them to a meal).

Dessert was fine.

Breakfast next morning – the restaurant was very busy and we had a short wait – no problem. Fortunately there was a buffet (not at all bad) because, after being shown to the table, no-one came along to take our order. After about half an hour, being most of the way through our meal, we went looking for a waiter to bring us tea, coffee and toast. We got those quite quickly but had to search out someone again for cups and saucers!

All in all not actually a bad experience but not a good one. We wouldn’t go there again.

And why is it that even relatively inexpensive American hotels, even motels, can provide free internet access, when British ones seem to find it necessary to charge 30p a minute?

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 12, 2005

My partner and I stayed for the weeked for his birthday on 8th April.

We booked on the Internet and as such could only book a standard room, which was very nice, but the decor was rather drab and old-fashioned. I had read so many reviews of hotels that I couldnt remember whether this was one of the hotels that was being refurbished, which might have explained why the room was not how it looked on the website. After discussion with reception they promptly upgraded us free of charge to an executive room, which you cant book via the website, and you should book through them to get the best rates. This room was lovely, well decorated, bright, comfy, larger and with a balcony.

We also booked dinner for two nights in our reservation, which was an excellent decision. Firstly, it worked out at £10 each for a three-course dinner, which was superb, and secondly, the set prices would cost at least twice that for the same meal. The Watermark restaurant was fabulous though; the food was delicious and completely fresh. We are vegetarian and found that there wasn't a great deal of choice for what we had paid for, but nevertheless the food we had was wonderful and we were completely satisfied both nights.

Breakfast was also lovely, with lots to choose from.

Parking plentiful and free of charge.

The leisure facilities were excellent; the pool great, and there is also a jacuzzi, spa and steam room. I booked my partner a massage for a present in the Revive centre and he really enjoyed that.

We had a wonderful stay at the Regency Park. We managed to leave a pillow behind, and when we rang the hotel they offered to send it back to us, free of charge, which was very good of them and excellent service. We would definitely go back there for another relaxing weekend.

NB - the hotel is no longer called Best Western; it is now the Regency Park Hotel, Newbury.

• Stayed: April 2005
8  Thank sweetgems
Reviewed August 31, 2004

We stayed at this hotel for 5 days in August 2004, The hotel is in a good central location for exploring Berkshire and the surrounding area.

Our room was an Execuctive room which was very clean. It had a sofa and a balcony with great views.

The meals were fantastic, we opted for the evening meal inclusive in our rates, we ate in the Watermark restaurant, which was fantastic, a real must for anyone staying at the hotel.

The leisure facilities are all included with a wonderful pool which was very clean.

All the staff were very nice and friendly, the bar areas were very plush , the hotel even had a library area.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who likes a great hotel with great food and great service , check out the hotel for special rates, don't bother trying to beat the prices on the internet.

• Stayed: August 2004
5  Thank Trentender1960
Reviewed March 30, 2004

A couple of miles from the centre of Newbury: a large, sprawling modern hotel. It's a strange mix ? the public areas are very modern and very stylish, there's an excellent leisure club with huge pool, the restaurant and room service really are absolutely first-class.Bedrooms are large and comfortable, but the designer styling of the entrance areas doesn't really extend upstairs, despite a recently-completed renovation. Executive Rooms are well-decorated, but standard rooms very dull. Bathrooms are dated.And service is variable ? some staff are great, but I was initially booked into a lower grade of room than I had been offered when I made my reservation. I asked them to collect my laundry one morning, which they forgot to do (although they recovered the situation and took 50 per cent off the bill).The good points do outweigh the minor irritations; I felt frustrated, though, because this is so nearly an excellent hotel.

1  Thank JCW
Reviewed February 10, 2004

My husband booked this hotel to stay the week before Valentines weekend. The deal was through Superbreaks and we paid ?79.20 per room (standard room) inc. Full English Breakfast. Upon arriving at the hotel I enquired whether there were any upgrades available. The very helpful receptionist didn't hesitate to upgrade us to an Executive Room in the new wing of the hotel.We had full use of the Spa/Gym facilities all afternoon and we dined in the Watermark Restaurant on the evening. A little pricey but well worth every penny!!I would recommend this hotel to anyone without hesitation as it was absolutely PERFECT.

3  Thank SuzyMP72