“Great room & good food”

Regency Park Hotel
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
“Great room & good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a night as a birthday surprise from the wife. We found the stay, the room and the facilities very good. The food was of a high standard (for myself) but they could with more choice for vegetarians.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
GaryOckwell, General Manager at Regency Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
I was delighted to read your comments after your recent stay with us and thank you for taking the time to write a review. Feedback such as yours makes all our hard work feel worthwhile.
Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Be sure to reserve a larger room. The small rooms are about the size of a linen closet with no room between the desk and the bed for a chair.

But if you do get a larger room, great place. Staff is excellent, friendly, and helpful. I would recommend this place to a friend and I would stay here again if I come back to the area.

Hotel has wired internet in the rooms and wired throughout the hotel. None of that registration crap is needed so I can have my laptop, iPad, and iPhone all connected. Internet speed isn't anything to brag about, but it is adequate to get real work done. No complaints about internet speed, and that's usually the first thing I complain about.

Room Tip: Get the big one if you need to work on a computer at a desk.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GaryOckwell, General Manager at Regency Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
I was delighted to see how highly you rated us and that you would happily recommend us to friends. We do have a number of very spacious rooms, so I am sure we would be able to accomodate your needs should business bring to this area in the future Kind Regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

This Hotel has great facilities Swimming Pool,Spa,Bars and the Restaurant food is absolutely stunning perfectly arranged and cooked to perfection mouth watering dishes.
The Hotel is very clean modern and well kept along with its grounds.
The Staff are all very nice Happy to Help People who made our stay very relaxed and very welcome.
I loved our stay here and would recommend if you stay try the evening meal perfect food .

Room Tip: The room we stayed in was perfect an executive room on the second floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brianadark
Dear Guest,
Wow reviews such as yours make the business of hospitality so much more rewarding. Thank you for your positive feedback, it will give me great pleasure to relay your comments back to the team Kind Regards
Oxfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Not a bad hotel, we stayed between Christmas and new year, outside it looks old, inside was fine. The food both nights was ok to pretty good, The room was ok for a couple of night with a comfy bed, the Spa was nice and the facilities clean and very reasonably priced, My wife had the St Tropez tan spray which she enjoyed but washed off within a couple of days.
Parking was good and the reception staff were nice and vey freindly. all inall I would use again as the location is great for Newbury.

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future
Best regards
Stroud, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Spent 27th December at this hotel for family 'get together' just as a day visitors so can't comment on the bedrooms. We were the only people in the restaurant for lunch, the service was slow and, whilst the staff were very accommodating, the food was not worth the price. Starters were £7, even for a bowl of soup (although we negotiated that down to £5.50 since the same soup was on the bar menu for £1.50 less even though the bar menu was available in the restaurant!) Desserts were all £7 except for ice cream which was £1.95 for a very small scoop - I had 3 extremely small scoops for £5.85 and the ice cream was half melted by the time it arrived. Main course were mostly £15 each and not worth it.
The Leisure suite is excellent but we paid £10 for adult and £5 for child (although there was some debate as to whether it should have been £6 per child) for day passes - and we had to provide our own towels as day visitors. It was a very expensive swim!
The lounge/bar facilities were good but bar prices were London price - £4.20 for a pint and over £5 for a small glass of wine.
Nice modern hotel with excellent facilities but well overpriced and not worth the money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GaryOckwell, General Manager at Regency Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting a review and providing some feedback on your experience. First and foremost I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and you felt we did not provide value for money. A 3 star review is not what my team and I strive to achieve here. Please be assured that your constructive feedback will be taken on board and discussed with my management team
I do hope you will give us another chance when you next visit Newbury.
Best Regards
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

I recently stayed at the Regency on pleasure, but often book rooms and meeting rooms on business. The hotel is of a consistently high standard. The food is always very good, the staff are friendly and the rooms are comfortable. My only area for improvement is that the hairdryers in the rooms aren't very good, not very powerful and take ages to dry your hair. The spa here is also very good - I would recommend Janine the spa manager for treatments.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting such a lovely review. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that the team here made such a positive impact, particularly in such a short space of time! We’ll take a look at the hairdryer.
We all look forward to your return
Best Regards
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

We had one of the deals with an executive room, breakfast and 3 course meal so it was good value for my husband and I as we spent the weekend at Newbury races! One arrival way before check in before the races started we were allowed to check in early but were warned the room available could potentially be noisy as there were two parties going on below that night. We're in our 30s so we didn't really mind a bit of noise so we said that was fine. Our room ended up being one of the new ones with a balcony at the front - it was above the function rooms but we didn't hear anything all night! It was lovely and spacious - had a desk, chairs, sofa, nice bathroom, comfy bed, little balcony - perfect. The spa and pool look great (we forgot our swimming costumes and they only sold one tiny one and one massive one and nothing for men). The bar man was nice and the communal areas all clean and modern. Our 3 course dinner that was included was really good quality too - we got there first and chose the table by the waterfall outside and the service was quick and polite. Only thing I'd say is that there weren't many pregnancy friendly dishes on the set menu, but my soup and dessert made up for that - my others halves terrine looked amazing - as did his duck main and cheese selection! Only gripe was that we left a designated tip on top of our drinks that we'd paid for as they weren't included in the 3 course meal deal (but still expected our £5 change back) we waited ten mins then spoke to someone on the way out and he everything ok? And we were like, uh no we need our change still. But we got it and then retired back upstairs. The only the other gripe was when we went to check out they trued to charge us again for our drinks from dinner! Luckily the guy who'd finally given us our change the night before was there and verified we had paid already. Breakfast is buffet style and all very nice and plentiful so no complaints there either. All in all a good find and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room was one of the new ones with a balcony at the front - it was above the function rooms but w...
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and highlighting how conveniently we are situated for a visit to the races. We are particularly proud to have such a great racecourse on our doorstep offering concerts periodically as well as racing throughout the year
I hope we get the opportunity to welcome back to the Hotel again soon.
Kind Regards