“Tapas Puds...the way forward :)”
Review of El Sabio Tapas Bar & Restaurant - CLOSED

El Sabio Tapas Bar & Restaurant
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Tapas Puds...the way forward :)”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Went here for lunch with a couple of friends, we decided to take advantage of their 3 Tapas dishes for £8.99 lunchtime offer. It was a lovely relaxed atmosphere, and the waiters were friendly enough, although perhaps a little too relaxed when it came to service. Firstly it was very hard to decide between the tapas dishes as they all sounded delicious...always a good start. When they arrived one was missing, but when it arrived it was clear a bit extra had been added as an apology. The dishes themselves were small, but well presented, and delicious - I particularly recommend the calamari. Then came dessert, offering 3 shot glass desserts for £5.50, if possible it was even harder to decide between these! The banoffee shot was a unanimous choice, and one well made, they arrived, once again beautifully presented and delicious. Once we had finished and the plates were cleared, it did unfortunately take us nearly half an hour to get a waiter's attention to pay the bill, but all in all, would love to go back for a Flamenco night and full meal.

• Visited January 2013

“Delicious, cosy, plenty of choice and friendly staff”
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

I've enjoyed a number of meals at El Sabio, ranging from quiet dinners with my wife to reasonably large group lunches. Each has been excellent.

The menu really is delicious; I'm not a fan of vegetarian dishes generally, but those which I have tried I have enjoyed, much to my surprise. There is a wonderful selection, and the three dish lunch menu is a great way of exploring.

Having been very disappointed previously with tapas from a chain restaurant (which has now opened in Newbury), I was nervous to try El Sabio at first, but it is quickly becoming a favourite for special occasions. Highly recommended.

Newbury
“Great service”
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

This was my first visit to taste the new menus and we were not disappointed, my twin grand children aged 4 polished off the selection of 3 chosen by mum with relish as well as some of my squid.the new menu is a good selection and the service very attentive.Staff smart and professional can wait to take them back after Christmas.

“Food amazing service poor”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Great food but 20 min wait for a drink on arrival. After we had a starter and main which was fantastic. We waited 45 mins without anyone asking if we needed a drink or wanted to see a desert menu. Had to go up to the bar to get the bill. Massive potential for a great restaurant but you need to retrain servers or replace.

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great tasting Tapas!”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We didn't book a table here as eating out one Thursday evening was a bit of a last minute thing. The restaurant was full but they opened the upstairs part just for us, which we thought was great....until we realised the waiter had to sit in the room waiting for us. Awkward!!!!

I was starving and ordered about 5 dishes, which is too much as unlike 'La Tasca' the tapas were a good size. My favourite were the beer battered king prawns, they were huge and juicy. The paella tapas was delicious too, not too overcooked so you could taste all the flavours of the meats and mussels.

The garlic mayonnaise was probably a little too OTT as it featured on every plate. I'd rather a salsa or a hot chilli sauce! The only let down was the chicken goujons, found these needed a little more seasoning.

A little more expensive than eating at a chain restaurant but it's definitely worth a visit.

• Visited October 2012