“Tea by the canal.”

Teashop by the Canal
Ranked #2 of 13 Coffee & Tea in Newbury
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Tea by the canal.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Coffee and Walnut cake as good as my grans yummy. Choice of seating, out, in, sun or shade. Services efficient.

• Visited July 2013

“A great place let down!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

This tea shop is in a lovely location with the possibility to be a perfect little stop off for anyone. The only issue with it is the owner, she has never had a smile on her face on any of the visits I have made, EVERYTHING is too much trouble and I'm a little lost to believe that she works in hospitality. Having worked in the industry throughout the world myself I dont make these comments lightly: manners cost nothing and being rude is just unacceptable. It is such a shame as other staff all work so hard and the food is lovely, I have never known one person bring an establishment down so far!

1 Thank Mikeycopping
Yeovil
“thanks to trip advisor reviewers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Met up with family for lunch here at the start of a special weekend. Despite being hot and sunny with lots of customers, the staff were very well organised. Our group were delighted with the selection of light lunches and everyone happy with their choices eaten in the shade at the side of the canal.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“High prices!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

I am no cheapskate but I turned up to what is a pleasant waterside location on a hot sunny afternoon, thinking I would sit in the sun and have tea and cake. The cakes looked lovely and I ordered a piece of chocolate sponge and tea for one. The piece of cake (a slither!) was put on a plate and the price I was told was 5.35!!! I asked the young man exactly what I had ordered in case he had mistakenly assumed I was of two people......no......but I could have just a mug of tea if I preferred. That brought the price down to 5.10!!! "How much is the piece of cake?" I asked. 3.50!!!! I said, "Im sorry, but that is too expensive" and I cancelled my order.

If the cake had been twice the size that I was offered then I could have understood it, but Im sorry, that is just taking advantage of the location and undoubtedly tourists.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Gail T
Newbury, United Kingdom
“An Almost lost gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

Now able to serve alcohol, this has to be one of the bet places to go with the kids for a summers luch. Kids get a nice mix of healthy sandwiches & salad coupled with things that they'll like, but it never looks bought in and on a hot day the locale is one of the best in tow.

Visited August 2012