“A great place let down!”

Teashop by the Canal
Ranked #2 of 10 Coffee & Tea in Newbury
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
“A great place let down!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This tea shop is in a lovely location with the possibility to be a perfect little stop off for anyone. The only issue with it is the owner, she has never had a smile on her face on any of the visits I have made, EVERYTHING is too much trouble and I'm a little lost to believe that she works in hospitality. Having worked in the industry throughout the world myself I dont make these comments lightly: manners cost nothing and being rude is just unacceptable. It is such a shame as other staff all work so hard and the food is lovely, I have never known one person bring an establishment down so far!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Mikeycopping

Yeovil
“thanks to trip advisor reviewers”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Met up with family for lunch here at the start of a special weekend. Despite being hot and sunny with lots of customers, the staff were very well organised. Our group were delighted with the selection of light lunches and everyone happy with their choices eaten in the shade at the side of the canal.

• Visited July 2013
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“High prices!!”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I am no cheapskate but I turned up to what is a pleasant waterside location on a hot sunny afternoon, thinking I would sit in the sun and have tea and cake. The cakes looked lovely and I ordered a piece of chocolate sponge and tea for one. The piece of cake (a slither!) was put on a plate and the price I was told was 5.35!!! I asked the young man exactly what I had ordered in case he had mistakenly assumed I was of two people......no......but I could have just a mug of tea if I preferred. That brought the price down to 5.10!!! "How much is the piece of cake?" I asked. 3.50!!!! I said, "Im sorry, but that is too expensive" and I cancelled my order.

If the cake had been twice the size that I was offered then I could have understood it, but Im sorry, that is just taking advantage of the location and undoubtedly tourists.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Gail T
Newbury, United Kingdom
“An Almost lost gem”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Now able to serve alcohol, this has to be one of the bet places to go with the kids for a summers luch. Kids get a nice mix of healthy sandwiches & salad coupled with things that they'll like, but it never looks bought in and on a hot day the locale is one of the best in tow.

Visited August 2012
Wantage, United Kingdom
“cleanliness”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Visited this place several times and it has been good. But visited today the 25th. April and it was terrible. Ordered food and drinks and sat outside in the sunshine. 15 minutes later the pot of tea arrived with dirty cups and saucers. my husband took them back and they bought us out supposedly clean cups. what a joke. I could tell they had been wiped with a wet cloth because the cups had bits in them. My brother had ordered a orange drink of which they had forgot. Food came over half an hour later. My brothers egg sandwich was on half frozen bread which made the egg cold. the salad was a lettuce leaf with half of a cherry tomato. how tight can you get. has it been taken over by someone else. strange that before things were o.k. really has put us off going again. so everybody, beware.

• Visited April 2013