“Absolutely delicious, 100% authentic!”
Review of Old Thai House - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Old Thai House
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The website for it's parent restaurant in Camberley is here: http://www.oldthaihouse.co.uk/. The details for the Newbury restaurant are confirmed on the right hand side of the menu page, available here: http://www.oldthaihouse.co.uk/old-thai-house-menu.pdf
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Exceptional! I actually felt like I was in Thailand again for the couple of hours we were there. The decor was stunning, and the staff were adorable. Service was a bit awkward, as mentioned in a previous review, mostly because of poor english speaking skills on their end. Because of the language barrier, we were charged double for a 2 bailey's and coffee (2 'liquer coffees' plus the price of both shots of Bailey's) but could not explain the error in a way she could understand, so we paid it.
It didn't matter. The food, expensive as it was, was absolutely to die for, and I would gladly pay it again.
Sadly, the restaurant was completely empty the entire time we were there, save a group of 5 that put in an order for pickup. I fear they won't make it in Newbury, which is truly a shame.

1  Thank Megs808

Reviewed May 24, 2012

good atmosphere. Food pricey and also small portions, difficult parking.

Reviewed March 10, 2012

Excellent food. Top quality menu well prepared. Not cheap but worth the extra cost. A good chance to see what thai food can be.

Reviewed February 24, 2012

Ten times the price of the street food of Thailand but a fiver for lunchtime Pad Thai was brilliant! Very tasty, everybody was happy with their meals.

She also complimented me on my clearly spoken Thai :)

1  Thank backpackerfriendly
Reviewed December 17, 2011

I went with a friend to this restaurant on a rainy Monday evening and I found this restaurant very disappointing, I did not like the atmosphere of this restaurant, it lacked freshness. The staff tried hard to please but there was an awkwardness about them that didn’t go away it was there throughout the evening. So my friend I felt unsettled. I don’t think professional restaurant staff should be like that as first impressions and attitudes are very important. The menu looked tired and old. They managed to have a menu book with few choices available. After much thought I had a Lamb Massaman and it was ok, the lamb was grisly in places. I don’t think it should be. There were some rather large onions with it. The source was ok. My friend had a sea food green curry again he said it was alright but he had to order a second bowl of rice as the original bowl did not have enough in it.

Throughout the evening we had to keep getting the attention of the waiter as he was never around. It was very surprising as the restaurant was empty. The bill was also very expensive for the meal we got especially as the quantity was small. I am normally the last to complain about the quantity as in 99% of situations I don’t manage to finish my meals. On this occasion I still felt hungry leaving the restaurant

Generally I am very disappointed with my experience at this restaurant as the reviews to date have been very good.