“Lovely place, good food and great staff”
Review of Lord Lyon - CLOSED

Lord Lyon
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
London
“Lovely place, good food and great staff”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Spent a very nice early evening meal on bank holiday Monday at The Lord Lyon. Coming back from Wales we wanted a decent meal close to the m4 so a quick online search led us to the lord lyon in the village of Stock Cross. Was a great meal, service was genuine and spot on. Our kids enjoyed their food, fresh and fast as well. Their salad dishes were all grown from the small veg garden next to the chicken coop and was delicious. The Welsh lamb curry was very good and all of this delivered by a great bar staff who were cheerful, helpful and nice. Very reasonable prices and a proper pub experience - highly recommended and super close m4 for those wanting a change from service station food. Will make sure we go back again soon!

Newbury, United Kingdom
“Good Bank Holiday meal”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The menu at The Lord Lyon changes daily and has a good choice of meals including a variety of vegetarian meals and many different types of sandwiches. The staff were friendly and even though we ate outside as weather was lovely and had our dog with us we felt we were well looked after.

London, United Kingdom
“Really Good Local”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My wife and I went for dinner on the Saturday of the August Bank Holiday weekend and were impressed by the quality experience. The Pub has an attractive exterior and welcoming aspect which was continued as we entered by a friendly greeting from a member of staff. We were seated in a corner which gave us a view of the dining room. There is a separate Vegetarian menu which you need to ask for, if you want it. There was a good choice of wines staring at around £15 ( $10 ), I ordered a Pinot Grigio which I tasted and was not quite cold enough for me and our waitress immediately said she would get another from the cellar, which was just right.
I had mixed vegetables coated with Brie on an aubergine ( eggplant ) base with new potatoes and salad which was beautifully cooked and showed the chef's skill in blending flavours. My wife finished of with strawberry Eton mess which she totally approved of and I had apple crumble with ice cream. Well worth a visit if you are staying near Newbury or live within reach.

Chandler's Ford
“A very pleasant surprise”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We travelling home from a visit Cheltenham and looking for somewhere to have dinner. It looked inviting for the road but, as we parked in the small car park the entrance looked run down. So, I feared the worst. However, inside we were greeted by the very friendly and helpful staff. The food and beer were of very high standard; especially as most of it was locally grown or sourced.

We all had very good meals and will certainly pop in again next time we're passing.

Newbury, United Kingdom
“excellent local restaurant”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Why Oh why have we not been here before? My Wifes birthday came around again and we decided to visit the Lord Lyon for the first time but definitely not the last. From walking in to leaving the 2 members of staff were friendly and polite as if they knew us, which shows their customer skills. We ordered our food, whitebait for me, can be difficult to get a taste to this but they had so well done chef my wife chose the pate both plenty but not too much as it is a starter!
For main I had chicken with puff pastry and that alone excellent but the chips are thrice cooked and not in cheap oil proper fat!! Dover sole for her and she said excellent too. For dessert yes there was room! I had the coconut cheesecake mmmmmmmmm! Apple crumble and ice cream for the better half, lots of chunks of apple not mush!! Very nice ambiance and relaxing not rushed or pestered by the staff. All in all a very nice evening for a birthday and I am sure we will return again and again, also already told our family and will be talking about our visit to friends too. So thank you the Lord Lyon brownie points are now mine! :-)