“Really Good Local” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lord Lyon - CLOSED

Lord Lyon
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Really Good Local”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

My wife and I went for dinner on the Saturday of the August Bank Holiday weekend and were impressed by the quality experience. The Pub has an attractive exterior and welcoming aspect which was continued as we entered by a friendly greeting from a member of staff. We were seated in a corner which gave us a view of the dining room. There is a separate Vegetarian menu which you need to ask for, if you want it. There was a good choice of wines staring at around £15 ( $10 ), I ordered a Pinot Grigio which I tasted and was not quite cold enough for me and our waitress immediately said she would get another from the cellar, which was just right.
I had mixed vegetables coated with Brie on an aubergine ( eggplant ) base with new potatoes and salad which was beautifully cooked and showed the chef's skill in blending flavours. My wife finished of with strawberry Eton mess which she totally approved of and I had apple crumble with ice cream. Well worth a visit if you are staying near Newbury or live within reach.

Chandler's Ford
“A very pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We travelling home from a visit Cheltenham and looking for somewhere to have dinner. It looked inviting for the road but, as we parked in the small car park the entrance looked run down. So, I feared the worst. However, inside we were greeted by the very friendly and helpful staff. The food and beer were of very high standard; especially as most of it was locally grown or sourced.

We all had very good meals and will certainly pop in again next time we're passing.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
“excellent local restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Why Oh why have we not been here before? My Wifes birthday came around again and we decided to visit the Lord Lyon for the first time but definitely not the last. From walking in to leaving the 2 members of staff were friendly and polite as if they knew us, which shows their customer skills. We ordered our food, whitebait for me, can be difficult to get a taste to this but they had so well done chef my wife chose the pate both plenty but not too much as it is a starter!
For main I had chicken with puff pastry and that alone excellent but the chips are thrice cooked and not in cheap oil proper fat!! Dover sole for her and she said excellent too. For dessert yes there was room! I had the coconut cheesecake mmmmmmmmm! Apple crumble and ice cream for the better half, lots of chunks of apple not mush!! Very nice ambiance and relaxing not rushed or pestered by the staff. All in all a very nice evening for a birthday and I am sure we will return again and again, also already told our family and will be talking about our visit to friends too. So thank you the Lord Lyon brownie points are now mine! :-)

“Excellent Vegetarian menu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stopped for lunch, had a lovely Roast Vegetable Salad with Goats cheese from the Starter menu, whilst my husband had the Pulled pork Sandwich.
Both were very good, they do a full Vegetarian menu on top of their normal menu hopefully I will get a chance to try some more dishes soon.
Service very good and would highly recommend.

Newbury, United Kingdom
“wonderful way to spend a sunny aftnoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

We drive past here on a regular basis and decided a few weeks ago to stop for lunch.
Firstly we were greeted by the friendliest staff we have come across in a long time. Even though we sat right at the back of the garden and they were rather busy they still managed to do table service with a smile. We had a gammon, a pie and a couple of sandwiches, none of which I can fault. Deciding on a meal took a while due to the varied choice and we will have to return to try the rest.
The vegetable garden and chickens make a welcomed change and helps to create a relaxing country pub feel.
From start to finish we were all very impressed and will definitely recommend the Lord Lyon.

• Visited July 2013