“Not Impressed”

Dining options: Reservations
Gosport, United Kingdom
“Not Impressed”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This did not live up to previous reviews. I booked a table for 7 for sunday lunch. The service was very slow. We waited so long for our main course our guests could not stay for dessert. We did stay and waited about 30 mins for two ice-creams and a sticky toffee pudding (microwaved). The food was passable but nothing exceptional. We will not be giving it a second try

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Linda C

Newbury, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable lunch”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Very nice lunch nice and drinks. pleasant and individual with a little character to its general ambience would recommend for a pit stop

• Visited October 2012
Carlton in Lindrick, United Kingdom
“Under impressive new management”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Some family members and I visited the Lord Lyon at lunchtime on a Saturday in April. The staff were unfailingly helpful and friendly. Even my usually morose mother-in-law was impressed.

The food was good and there was plenty of it. The food is home-grown or produced locally whenever possible.

My mother-in-law found out about the previously unknown doggie bag to take her leftovers away in. She was very impressed at this novel feature.

The chickens in the garden are nice to watch before you leave:-)

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Shame about the Service”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Booked table for group of 12 for Sunday lunch and the main meal was very good. We were then handed the bill before being asked if we wanted any puddings. When this was queried (at 13:15) we were told the table was needed at 14:00 and the lady in charge didn't think there would be enough time to prepare(due to how busy they were), serve puddings and then tidy up. Despite explaining that this wasn't our problem and we would be as quick as we could. We were simply asked to pay up and leave.
This is a shame as we have eaten here often and already had a booking for 10 people in two weeks time - when service is this bad, we won't be going there again.

2 Thank mpsmahs
mark g, Owner at Lord Lyon, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
I am sorry that you felt that you were rushed; although when you made your booking on the telephone you were told that we were fully booked, but if you felt that you could arrive at 12 promptly and vacate the table prior to 1.30 when we had another prior booking, we could accommodate you. This was again stressed on your arrival, as the later booking would be arriving at 1.30, and we would need the table before that time, you said again that it would be plenty of time for you.
I understand from the staff that you then decided that you wanted to stay at your table, whilst every effort was made to explain again that we had fitted you in on the understanding that the table was booked for another group at 1.30, you were offered coffees in the snug bar, and as the other, prior booking was starting to arrive, the very busy staff were at pains to explain the need for you to vacate the table.
I am sorry if you felt that there was any missunderstanding.
Crewe, United Kingdom
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

The staff were friendly and welcoming as soon as you walked through the door. We all had a main meal and the only problem was my fish which had not had the bones removed, but when it was pointed out they took it away and gave me the menu to pick something else. Unfortunately it had to be something quick as the rest of the table were half way through their main meal but that was my choice not theirs. I thought that out or courtesy they would of given me my meal foc but they didn't. If I was in the area again looking for a place to eat I would go back again.

I would reserve a table before you go as it does get busy.