“Well worth a visit- perhaps a little overpriced?”
Review of Highclere Castle

Highclere Castle
Ranked #3 of 25 things to do in Newbury
More attraction details
Owner description: Designed by Sir Charles Barry, architect of the Houses of Parliament, this is considered to be one of the finest Victorian homes still in existence, which houses fine furniture and works of art.
Reviewed December 8, 2014

We had been waiting a while to visit this stately home, not really a castle despite its name. Car parking is efficient [public transport non-existent ]. You have to book for a time slot and date as it is only open from time to time. I quite like the series, but am not an avid fan, unlike some of the visitors on a cold December Sunday. The castle is still owned by the family so only about 25 to 30 per cent is open. There is a lot to see and some parts such as the Hall and Staircase and some bedrooms can be recognised, but the best part is the family history from the 19th century.

Some parts are grand, others are quite worn as befits a huge home. The café was quite good for snacks and coffee and very reasonably priced. The Egyptian Museum was a bonus and an amazing story of discovery in the early 20th century. Compared with some National Trust places it was a little overpriced, but the staff were very knowledgeable and helpful in explaining details not covered by the room descriptions. I am glad I visited with my wife and friends, but would hesitate to return. The grounds and gardens must be very beautiful on a summers day.

3  Thank DAVIDMS20050
Write a ReviewReviews (2,746)
All reviews
in 26 reviews
"grounds are beautiful"
in 51 reviews

Reviewed December 7, 2014

From arriving to living we had smiles all over our faces.
As you arrive you are greeted & directed to a parking area very close to the castle. The tea rooms were quite busy but that wasn't a problem , staff very friendly & polite. A lovely pot of tea, panini & fresh scones all very reasonably priced. Went into the house & could relate to The Programme ....rooms were fab, not overcrowded, we were able to walk around with ease & not felt rushed.
The carol singers around the fireplace were excellent along with the trumpet player who brought me to tears. The tree looked amazing.
I did feel however the table in the dining room could of been laid up to add more impact.
The staff were so helpful & knowledgable a real treat. The shop was also lovely to buy gifts & not overpriced . So pleased we had a great time & made to feel so welcome Thank you

4  Thank creamegg62
Reviewed December 6, 2014

Had a fab today with our visit 2 the castle. An added bonus as we are also Downton Abbey fans. The Castle is so worth a visit - it is a home and has the feel of a home. Many family pics in each room, ( plenty of royal family including Diana (if you are a fan!) - a great insight into a family that live here at Highclere.. For those of you that are Downton fans - many things to see, which relate to the series. The choir today singing carols in the lobby around the Xmas tree was brilliant! The gift shop is small and expensive, but overall the experience of Highclere is well worth a visit

3  Thank Jackie M
Reviewed December 6, 2014 via mobile

A grand sweeping drive ended our day at the simply divine gated entrance. Once parked and a breath taking walk to the grand front door, we were greeted with the door being opened for us and receiving a lovely welcome.. The Christmas fair was here this day and I have to say it was lovely being able to buy or see something different ... That aside the actual castle was smaller than I thought but did not disappoint in any manner... The walk/rope guided tour was lovely seeing some of the bedrooms / Rooms that Downton is filmed in... for me I was highly impressed because this is my thing history and architecture... Simply divine ! A must visit .... Down side ( which are minor to me even though I do have 4 children ) it's not a place for children even though we only had the baby with us who is 3 weeks old ... Could not take the pram round with us ... I would certainly return time and time again ! The gardens are simple and glorious left feeling that I had been a lady to the manor for the day ! Tea rooms and restrooms are gorgeous to all outside obviously due to the era ... Have a fabulous day if you visit !

4  Thank Nicola R