“Wonderful!”

$113.04*
Downton Abbey and Village Tour from London
$190.76*
and up
Private Tour: 'Downton Abbey' Experience by Black Cab Including Downton...
Ranked #1 of 36 things to do in Newbury
More attraction details
Owner description: Designed by Sir Charles Barry, architect of the Houses of Parliament, this is considered to be one of the finest Victorian homes still in existence, which houses fine furniture and works of art.
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I went to Highclere Castle last December and had an amazing time! The Castle is truly wonderful with so many beautiful pieces or art and wonderful furniture. If you are a Dowton fan then it is so good to see the rooms and be part of what you have watched. The Tutankhamun exhibition is also something you should not miss! Absolutely fascinating! So well worth the visit, I felt very honoured to have been there and been part of the house for the time I was there.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,464)

Reviewed November 16, 2013

As an avid fan of the show Downton Abbey it has always been a wish of mine to visit Highclere Castle on my next trip to London , England. I purchased tickets online as soon as the summer tickets became available in February . The tickets purchased (£18) each included an opportunity to view the beautiful gardens and the outside grounds ,the designated path through the castle and the Egyptian exhibition in the basement. You might wonder about this anomaly but there is a good reason as Lord Carnarvon ( ancestor of the present) was a major backer in the excavation of Egyptian antiquities among these being King Tut's tomb.
In order to get to Highclere one could drive from London but we chose the train leaving from Paddington Station. The journey to the quaint village of Newbury ( worth a stroll)took less than
1.5 hours. The only way to get to the castle from the village was unfortunately by taxi . We arrived on a Sunday and as we came out of the station there were a few cabs waiting . The first we asked estimated it would be £28 - on the meter with a rate that was extra because it was Sunday. A bit disgusted we sauntered into town finding a cab ride into Highclere for £20 .
Our tickets allowed us entrance to the house after 1.30 pm but gave us free reign exploring the grounds up until then. Upon entering we were shepherded through a designated path where one could recognize rooms from the TV show. In most rooms there were attendants who were only too happy to answer questions.
The Egyptian exhibition was well presented and worth the little extra.
There is a gift shop for souvenirs as well as a small tea room for refreshments if required.
It is interesting to note the present Lord resides in a modest house behind the castle and moves back in when the tourist season has ended.
After our visit we had no problems getting a cab as there were several parked outside waiting on potential fares. We simply asked if the driver would take us back to the station for £20 and it was a done deal.
Visiting Downton ... Oops I mean Highclere was a highlight for me which I will not soon forget and definitely lived up to and exceeded expectations.

7  Thank jamrockgirl427
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This castle is a 15 minute taxi ride from the town of Newbury (which is a nice town to visit for shopping). We did not have preordered tickets but we got there early, and were able to purchase admission tickets at the entrance. The castle exterior and surrounding countryside are impressive from all angles and I took lots of pictures. The garden walking self- tour is very nice. There are so many lovely flowers and plants in a large pastoral setting. Don't miss the "Secret Garden." The rooms of the house are smaller than they look on TV, but are well decorated with many portraits of ancestors and beautiful accents. Viewers of Downton Abbey will instantly recognize the settings for some of their favorite scenes. I wish I could have taken many pictures inside but it is not allowed. There are many pictures on their website of the interior to help you keep the memories alive. The docents are polite and helpful. It was a hot day so we went early and beat the buses and groups. For a while we almost had the place to ourselves.
Just as an aside, for those quirky fans, like me, of the old British Hammer Horror movies, the taxi driver pointed out a building on the way that was used in the beginning of the films as the Hammer movie symbol. I instantly recognized it and took pictures. It is now a school for girls.
We did not have time to take advantage of the Egyptian exhibit, much to my regret.

5  Thank Martha E
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We visited Highclere on August Bank holiday Monday so its taken me a while to write this but it was a wonderful day out. The day was booked back in February as my birthday present from my daughter and was the only day available then that I didn't need to take a day off work. the weather was beautiful but the wasps a bit troublesome when we had our cream tea - ( you just have to do it )
The house tour was all I wanted it to be and I especially liked all the personal photographs around - you really felt that you were in their home. But equally you felt that you were in Downton Abbey. The Egyptian exhibition was really interesting and my other half liked this the most. I especially loved the gardens although by the end of August they were going over a bit - I bet in June they were glorious.
We had a special day out at Highclere - a bit expensive by the time you add in lunch and afternoon tea - but it was an occasion and not something you do every day. Well done Highclere for informative staff and pitching the Downton link about right.

2  Thank HertfordshireWalker
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Highclere castle has been saved by Downton Abbey. We took our grandchildren aged 6 and 9 there before Downton was on TV and they loved it.