“Didn't ask how I wanted steak done”
Review of Hoggit & Hoof - CLOSED

Hoggit & Hoof
Cuisines: British, Mexican, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: We are a Independent Mexican Steak House that has been established in Newbury Town Centre for Four Years. We are consistently developing our menus and drinks to provide a good quality experience for our customers.
Nyon District, Switzerland
“Didn't ask how I wanted steak done”
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

I ordered steak and was incredibly surprised when I was not asked how well done I would like it cooked. First time I can ever remember this happening... Never mind in a steak house! However, I'm not particularly fussy with my steak so let it slide... But later regretted this massively. The steak was extremely dry, was cooked to the point of tasting more like roast beef than steak. Wasn't impressed at all, won't be going back again.

As a side note, a pint of coke cost me £3.50 - almost twice what it costs in other restaurants in Newbury!

“Steaks fab; service lacking”
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Steaks cooked to perfection. Ordered a lime & soda drink which arrived with no lime. By the time lime added soda flat. Waited a long time for desserts and decided to leave instead. When paying the bill found out the order for desserts had not been sent. Served by several waiting staff, one great & bubbly, one bordering on outright rude. Would recommend if you enjoy well cooked, well seasoned food; however be warned the rest of the experience is very off putting and we won't be back.

hoggitandhoof, Owner at Hoggit & Hoof, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
I was sorry to read your review today. First off all apologies the whole experience was not as it should have been. I am glad you enjoyed the food.
We are trying very hard on our customer service but evidently not that well on your occasion.
I will be taking it up with the staff and more training will be provided.

Newbury, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very disappointing..”
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Apart from hearing the couple behind us complain about an incorrect bill, our meal was poor. Though the meat was well prepared the ribs were caked in peppercorns which took a long time to scrape off and out. The Caesar salad had 2 pieces of chicken in that were smaller than the croutons, and when asked if the 'extra chicken' at £1.50 was indeed extra (as stated), they confirmed it was in addition to what was in the salad.. If you order the salad, you WILL need to order the extra.
The manager was not customer focussed, his responses were defensive and kept referring to 'everyone else is always extremely happy with it' (what people - the place was empty), they advised we should have requested it without and they'd have been happy to accommodate us.. Err, that requires knowing about the peppercorns, which we pointed out was not stated on the menu or when we placed our order.. Not going back in a hurry and very disappointed.
The only reason we have given a star was because the manager did revise the bill and reduced it.
As customers if we have a complaint about food it is the manager's job to hear those words as how to improve on business or service and assure the possible future customer, not distance them.

Just read your review and apologies.

Firstly Chicken Caesar whether its a starter or a main should certainly have more chicken in it that you have stated. The correct response would have been to take straight back to the kitchen and ask if this portion was correct, the size of two croutons is not correct and very unusual for you to have had it this way. We are well known for over feeding people, certainly not the other way round. It really wouldn't have hurt for kitchen to add a little more.

The ribs are cooked with whole peppercorns along with Cajun spices and lots of other ingredients. How ever before it gets to you the whole peppercorns should have been removed, so again my apologies.
For the customer complaining when you arrived about their bill, well not a lot I can read into that as that could have been for a whole number of reasons, it could have been us or even the customer not understanding how the bill was presented. Although I would agree not assuring for yourself as you sit down to dinner.

I would be more than happy to discuss this further and see how we can make your experience a truly better one. Please feel free to call me and discuss further.

enricio
“Always a pleasure!”
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

We often visit the hoggit and hoof as a group. Normally around ten of us. We have always found the service to be top class warm and friendly. They are always accommodating and willing to do anything. The food had always been perfect and we will definitely be returning. A big thanks to Jamie for a job well done.

Many thanks for your kind review.
We do try hard at making all experiences a great one, although sometimes we may slip up a little we do our hardest to bounce back at a much higher level.

Once again, many thanks

Newbury, United Kingdom
“Unhappy family sunday lunch”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

It was our first time at the Hoggit & Hoof and we went as a family to celebrate a birthday. Felt it was very school canteen like no atmosphere. Food very disappointing our grandson had a childs steak which was very small not the weight specified another person had slow roasted pork which was quite tough and with soft crackling. The steaks came with just chips and a small salad you are expected to pay extra for a tomato or mushroom. We ordered puddings but as was now 3pm the kitchen had closed and we have cold chocolate fudge cake that was hard and not googy and cold crème brullee very disappointed overall.

• Visited October 2013
Hmm naturally disappointed to have read your review.

We have worked hard this year on the design of the restaurant and although can be noisy when busy which to be fair is most evenings there is usually a pretty good atmosphere. Obviously not on your visit and I am sorry to hear that.

More often than not child's steaks are requested to be cooked well done, which for a 5oz rump can make it look quite small. I would like to think if you brought this to the attention of the person in charge and you were not happy with the size they could have put a little more on for you. If you asked and the the person didn't then that to makes me very disappointed.

All steaks come with a small amount of garnish on the plate and that is what it is supposed to be. There are salads to order from the menu, although a sliced tomato and a few onions would have not hurt anyone.

The belly pork is not sold as crispy belly pork and has never been since we opened and we have sold a huge amount of them. We do how ever have customers ask for us the crisp it up and we do so on request. Something perhaps we could have communicated better with you.

Lastly for the kitchen to close on a Sunday before the last person has finished is a complete nonsense and should never happen. If we make all our puddings in house and we don't give you the chance to try them properly then bigger fool us. How ever we don't sell chocolate fudge cake so I think you must be referring to the Brownie. This is warmed very slightly so as to take the edge off but not heated as its shape will be lost and brownie ruined. Our home made crème brulet are known to be fab, so again we let ourselves down if you were disappointed with yours.

I would be happy to discuss further and give me an opportunity to change your experience. If you would like to get in touch I would be more than happy.