“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Hotel”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Stay here on a last minute booked, not the best looking from the outside but once you get through the doors its just gorgeous. Our room was huge even with a sofa, which was totally unexpected. Nice deco or very friendly staff. Nice clean and tidy and nice warm roos in the winter months. Will be sure to stay here again very soon and regulaly.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Aaron P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Brighton
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I really can't fault this hotel, and staff were pleasant and helpful, provided a fine level of service for a mid-price hotel, very much 'does what it says on the tin.'
My room was more than adequate and felt more comfortable/cosy than a typical travel lodge style room and I was not disturbed by any noise.
I was there for a function and evening meal during which I found the three course meal to be very well done, more than satisfactory.
Breakfast was not as good as the dinner being a smattering of traditional English breakfast items kept warm until required, continental was also an option.
Overall I enjoyed my stay of one night and would certainly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
S.Wales
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Stayed here on business for about 2 months upto Christmas. Very clean, pleasant rooms and a great location in town. The breakfast was very good with a nice full english. I didnt eat in the hotel in the evening but the Bistro was very nice and the menu looked great. Value for money as well. The rooms were typically coach house styled with some very nice suites in the main building. The large rooms in the court yard were also very good but a bit noisey with very creaky floor boards. I would highly recommend this hotel to both business and pleasure travellers as its value for money and centrally located. I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the suites
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I stayed here in August while traveling for work which was a 5 minute walk away. The room was cheap so I expected it to be small, which It was and also clean. I had enough space for myself but would need a different room if staying with more than 1 person.

Breakfast was alright, nothing special.

The ladies at the front desk were not very helpful and slightly rude and the hotel itself is in serious need of an update. That being said, it was an ok experience however my future travels I will be staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: There are no elevators so if you have problems walking up stairs go elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Weymouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We booked in this hotel on the Hennessey Gold Cup weekend for 3 nights as 3 couples, we were given outside rooms all next door to each other which seemed a rather nice gesture at that point.
On entering our room it seemed nice but as we unpacked and walked round the room we noticed stains on the carpet and the kettle still full of water which really are silly basic housekeeping jobs that have been overlooked .
Never the less we were happy with the room until the morning after our first night where we were woken by constant walking around above us people arguing and swearing in the early hours, we reported this to reception, the morning met with much difficulty for my husband and myself as the shower would not turn on after trying everyway to, we reported this to reception too. The second night played out exactly the same as the first night in every aspect and hubby had to use our friends shower despite ours being so called fixed and it wasn't .
We complained and all of our party was moved into the decent rooms inside which was the least they could do so we could salvage the rest of our weekend.
On check out the hotel tried to charge 2 bar bills to us that were not ours also which was also a minor annoyance.
Hardly any staff are British or speak very good English either.
Next year we are booking elsewhere.
Sadly not a lot at The Chequers to rave about .

Room Tip: Don't accept an outside rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Katrina T

Travelers are raving about these Newbury hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I stayed at the Chequers for one night whilst I was working at Newbury race course as it is only around 3 miles away.

The room I had was in a block away from the hotel and was huge! It wasn't the most luxurious but it was clean and comfortable and I had no complaints. I ate in the restaurant and was served by the manager I believe. He was excellent and couldn't do enough for me. The food was lovely and pretty good value.

I forgot my phone charger and the hotel reception managed to find one to lend me which was excellent. All in all I would recommend this hotel for a cheap stay in Newbury, and I would definitely recommend the restaurant!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Adam L
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed here with a group of friends including my mother and her friend. The staff were very accommodating they couldn't do more for us. Location was superb my mum and her friend went and did some shopping. Breakfast was lovely as we had a gluten free member of the group. I broke down when returning home as I didn't know my location well I called the hotel who helped figure out my exact location to tell the rac where I was. Room was clean and shower was amazing.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends