“Dated room, but convenient location, and a good price.”
Review of Chequers Hotel

Chequers Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in Newbury after a wedding, and The Chequers Hotel was an affordable option.

The room was dated but served its purpose, the main benefit of the Hotel was its central location.

I didn't get a chance to try the food or use the bar.

• Stayed: September 2013
There are newer reviews for Chequers Hotel

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stayed at this charming hotel in Newbury to attend a friend's wedding. Set on the main road, the hotel offered good basic accommodation and also has a bistro called JP's where guests can order a good meal. We were made welcome by all members of staff, although I did have to ask all of them for their names as none were wearing name badges. I did comment on this and was told that they used to wear them but have not done so recently. After attending our friend's wedding we came back here for the reception and had a good photo op in the charming little garden at the back of the room where the meal was served. Overall, the standard is reasonable, but I did notice that all the communicating doors throughout the building looked a bit scruffy and would have benefitted from a coat of paint: they were scuffed and had black marks on them. This doesn't create a good impression on you as you make your way to your room, although once in room all clean and a reasonable standard. There are no lifts in the hotel and it was a bit of a slog for me up to the top floor with various stair cases on the way. The food throughout our stay was of a reasonable standard and a fair range of choices including locally sourced gammon that my partner ordered and thoroughly enjoyed. We both agreed that as it's in such a convenient location that we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front of the building suffer from traffic noise if the windows are open - hotel on a fa...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed 5 nights in Chequers. Also stayed in 4 different rooms for personal reasons. Overall a good English type hotel. Stayed two nights in a Family room - very spacious ,2 bedrooms ,massive King size bed and good bedding.One of the rooms on the 1st floor had terrible creaky floors and this may pose a problem if you are prone to getting up at night. Did not eat at hotel so cannot comment on food. Good service at reception.

Room Tip: ask for family room in hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for few days as my regular hotel was double booked, as I entered I wasn't greeted very nice by a very miserable looking receptionist, given room key and pointed upstairs lol. Although it looked nice and inviting at first I soon realised the place needs a bit of tlc. Room was a little dirty but nothing major, had everything I needed in the room and was actually quite spacious.didnt eat in the hotel but seemed to have a large dining area which looked quite nice.
On checking out I handed my card key over and thanked the receptionist and was on my way out until she screamed me back to say I hadn't paid??? In front of other guests which was very embarrassing as my company I work for had paid in advance, after trying to explain this to her she was arguing and adamant I hadn't paid, after a short period of what seemed like ages a manager approached looked at the paperwork and said yes that's fine it's paid?? No apology no sorry it was a mistake, nothing. So although I found the rooms value for money I wouldn't stay here again as I think the staff need customer service training.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed at the chequers for the third time at the beginning of the month and will return again in the future. We specifically ask for a courtyard room, bottom floor (so the missus can pop out easily for a crafty fag....) this time we had a corner room that backed onto the garden and it was perfect.

Maybe other visitors are pickier than us but we found nothing wrong with the room or decor throughout. The breakfast over the two days we stayed was a buffet served in the garden room and, again against what I heard another couple say, it was absolutely fine with no limitations or restrictions on what you wanted to eat. (Not that I overindulged!!)

The best feature though was the staff, who couldn't have been more helpful or welcoming, regardless of the time of day or however much was going on.

The price isn't outrageous and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and look forward to a return visit. I'd heartily recommend the chequers to anyone staying in Newbury or the immediate area.

Room Tip: I don't know what the rooms in the main hotel are like but the ground floor courtyard rooms are...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marcusred
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Great central location in Newbury, with lots of parking, and easy access from/to the road network. Friendly, efficient, well-informed Receptionists, and I was delighted to be upgraded to a suite, which was a real pleasure, and a pretty nice place to stay, once I eventually found it along a maze of corridors and stairs. Good sleep quality, great WiFi, excellent room-service breakfast, and a good dinner served from a wide choice and at very fair prices...however...the corridors and stairways really do need a refurb...very scruffy in parts; the windows were pretty ropy in the bedroom, and the bathroom was tired, to say the least. I guess (although not a problem for me) that the traffic noise on the front may be bad, as it's a noisy street. Anyway I cannot complain - it did everything I needed of it, and more, at very fair rates. I would stay again, and it knocked my two previous hotels in Newbury into a cocked hat!

Room Tip: Beware road noise.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Beautiful old coaching inn by the looks of it. Full of character, a little tired in places but you couldnt fault the price or the staff. The staff couldnt be more polite or helpful if they tried. We upgraded to have the breakfast the next morning and I highly recommend it - what a lovely breakfast!! Certainly would stay again in the future

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are a little quieter and cooler
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple