“Had our Wedding there”

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reading, United Kingdom
“Had our Wedding there”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Had our wedding there at the end of September. The facilities provided were really good and the staff were very helpful. The Wedding Breakfast was good; plenty of food provided. Guests who stayed in the hotel were pleased with their rooms. Whilst some rooms are in need of attention this does not detract from the feel of the hotel and the quality of the nights sleep.

We would recommend to anyone to have their wedding reception here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Molly H, General Manager at Chequers Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear Lucy F

I want to thank you for taking the time to fill out the guest comment card after your recent stay with us. We value all guest feedback, both positive and negative, as it is only with input from our guests that we are able to improve the service offered and move the business forward.

I am pleased to see that you were happy with your stay and I hope it was very much enjoyed, thank you for your comments which I shall endeavour to pass these along to the staff.

We very much hope to be able to welcome you back again soon however if in the mean time I can be of further assistance please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.

Molly Hunt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed at the Chequers for a shopping weekend and found it had everything we needed. Our twin room was spacious and well equipped. Breakfast was freshly cooked and the £10 menu on the Friday evening was great value for very nice food. Staff very friendly. Issue with shower very quickly resolved. Ample car parking even though there was a wedding on the Saturday. Excellent location for Newbury town centre. On the second night we ate at a fab Nepalese restaurant a few doors away which I would also highly recommend. The Chequers is being refurbished and they have done a lovely job of the downstairs areas and restaurant. Yes, there is painting to be done still and our room was a little old fashioned but they are getting there and in the meantime offer great value for money. We will be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Julesprice73

justpassingok
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

This is the 2nd year we have visited this hotel. Last year we had to complain that our room was frankly awful. The lock did not work so anybody could walk in our room. The heating would not turn off, the carpet was so stained it looked dreadfull. But last year we was assued they were having a major refurbishment.

So we stayed again last weekend. Okay before I leave review on the room, I have to say the Christmas Party we attended at the hotel both last year and this year was perfect. The food, the entertainment, the waiting staff, the table setting, everything was just brilliant. So I have no doubt that I will attend another party here!

However, The room was AWFUL! I have attached pics as I do not want to be seen as leaving negative reviews without evidence.

The room had a real damp fusty smell, stained ceiling, black nets, paint splashes everywhere, dirty bathroom. We asked to move but was told they were full due to the Christmas Party they were holding that night. I asked to see the duty manager, who eventually (after she complained about the situation back to me!) offered us another room in the carpark.

At first glance we accepted it as it seemed better than the 1st, but once she had left, we found the heating would not turn off (the radiator was on full, in a small room, and the tap had been removed) The wardrobe was so damp the walls had started to crumble. The ceiling was peeling as were the walls (please see photos). My husband kindly fixed their heating issue (why couldnt they have done this?)

I will not stay at this hotel again and neither would I reccomend staying unless the hotel had been refurbished. Sorry, but we did give it a 2nd chance!

Room Tip: Some rooms have been refurbished. ASK FOR ONE!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank justpassingok

Travelers are raving about these Newbury hotels

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

My initial impression of the hotel was disappointing. The Lobby and stairs smelt very strongly of damp, which I guess is due to the age of the hotel. My room was right up on the top floor and at the end of a very long and narrow corridoor, not particularly safe for a single female in my opinion. The car park is also badly lit and I could only get a space quite a way from the back door of the hotel. No offer from reception of help with my bags to the room. On the positive side, the staff were friendly and efficient, the food was excellent and very reasonably priced, as were the drinks. The hotel needs a decent refurb - my room was "tired" to say the least and frankly needed a good clean.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MrsSilverF0x
Dear Mrssilverfox

hertshealth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

I first stayed here 32 years ago and dined here 45 years ago when it was THE hotel in Newbury. Since then we have both shown signs of the passing years with the difference being that the update for the hotel has started to cover up the ageing process.
The staff here are now really welcoming and very friendly and make up for any creaking shown by the rooms. The chef for the evening meal really delivered with a quality selection which surpassed the three star rating currently awarded.

Our room was adequate and comfortable but would disappoint those wanting a modern five star experience. But this hotel at the moment is not seeking those heady heights, it is what it is, which is a very welcoming middle of the road hotel with a brilliant position in the centre of Newbury.

Visit here and enjoy the ambience of a hotel which is starting to show why it was once the premier place to stay in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are recommended
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ChequersNewbury, Front Office Manager at Chequers Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Cricket22,

I want to thank you for taking the time to leave a review after your recent stay with us. We value all guest feedback, both positive and negative, as it is only with input from our guests that we are able to improve the service offered and move the business forward.

Thank you for your lovely comments which I shall endeavour to pass along to the staff. We pride ourselves on customer service and I am glad you found the staff friendly and welcoming, I am sure they will be really pleased to hear this. We are also very proud of our Bistro and I am glad you got a chance to try the fare on offer which really is a treat!

We very much hope to be able to welcome you back again soon however if in the mean time I can be of further assistance please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Newbury
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed overnight for a family occasion. Lovely dining room and super breakfast. Our room was spacious and had all the usual amenities. Appreciate that this hotel is very old which shows slightly in the rooms and the upstairs vicinity (ie creaky floors) - but our beds were very comfortable. All in all a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

ChequersNewbury, Front Office Manager at Chequers Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Hilary O,

I am pleased to see that you were happy with your stay and I hope it was very much enjoyed, thank you for your comments which I shall endeavour to pass along to the staff.

Oxfordshire UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

I had stayed here a couple of years ago and had a noisy room in the court yard and received average service. I returned at the weekend (as it is convienient for Newbury town centre) and was pleasantly surprised. I requested a room in the main building this time. My request was handled well and the room and the bed were comfortable and the service at breakfast so much improved. Although in the room and the corridors there is some damage to wall paper in places other parts of the hotel had been redecorated. Much improved.

Room Tip: Request a room in the main building.
Dear AngelaOxfordshireUK,

I am pleased to read you have noticed the improvements that we have been making, as you may have seen from the ground floor we are refurbishing the hotel and currently the bedrooms are now being redecorated and kited out with new furnishings but as we are a 24/7 operation this must be done in stages and around the business needs but it is an on going project so all of the hotel will get the same treatment.