Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel
Orbitz.com
$91
$80
Priceline
Travelodge Newbury Tot Hill(Newbury)(Great Value!)
$41
$72
PremierInn.com
$41
Travelodge
All reviewsprivilege roomcountry housefriends weddinglovely settingbreakfast was buffet stylelovely hotelevening meallounge arealovely roomstayed for two nightsone night stayrelaxing breakfood was lovelyenjoyable stayold buildinghighclere castleorangery
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed here on Bank Holiday Sunday, one night. Great deal on price...but. Perhaps it was once a beautiful house but years of it being a corporate hotel have turned it into a not-very-pretty situation, at least from the rooms we were given and the entry. First room overlooked a roof to the works below; upon request for new room, staff very graciously assisted to the room across the hall. The view here, not much better, was of the kitchen door. For some reason, both were 'access' rooms which left my daughter and I baffled. I was reassured when I checked that 'they weren't needed' but we found the facilities a bit of a nuisance. The worst of this place was the lack of sound-proofing; we could hear every word from the room above and next to us and a guest banged his/her luggage up the stairs well-after midnight. Ah well; not recommended for US tourists thinking they're staying in a 4 * country house hotel. Though 4 stars, and thus I felt a 'safe' bet for a last night of holiday before a long flight, it's 3 at best. Maybe 2.5 from what we saw. Hope other Mercures prove to be better; we'll see.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with garden view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Angus M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear EShaw,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and raising the points you have which I will follow up personally. We do try and accomodate all guests in suitable rooms and we hope you enjoy the rest of your stays with Mercure,
Regards
Angus

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Very tired and in need of attention

Grounds and building look great but once inside you can quickly see it needs to be worked on

restaurant is just an empty big room with tables -- no soul -- nobody eating there -- so guess what -- we didn't either !!

Breakfast is a joke --- over priced and under the quality you expect for Mercure

Little to no fruit, little choice of cereals, poor quality and choice of cooked food and the toasting machine makes the whole place smell of burning toast -- what does it take to get hotels to realise that we don't go to breakfast to come out smelling of burnt bread -- make it for your customners in the kitchen and serve it.

Talking about service -- well here they really do let themselves down -- gormless and useless would be a fair description of their approach to customer service.

The bar is a "thing" in the corner of another empty room -- you would not want to sit here to while away the evening

On our vist there was a group of business people using the garden and the patio of the hotel for "team building" games -- really helped to give us a good impression whilst we tried to sit outside on a sunny day to enjoy our coffess !!

Finally - our room -- 39 -- small and with a dirty bathroom

Would not stay again when there is plenty of choice around Newbury but being a Mercure fan I did this time -- silly me -- by the way I have complained to the hotel and they have responded so at least they seem to care in some parts of the Management team -- I hope for their businesses sake that they do something about it -- or maybe get some of their excellent French colleagues over to show them how to do it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Angus M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear Ray
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay. The problems you encounted during your stay are of great concern as achieving and exceeding customer satisfaction is our aim, rest assured your comments have been taken very seriously and direct action will be taken where necessary. I do you hope will consider returning to the hotel to enable us to restore your faith in Elcot Park. Please contact me personally when I can ensure you are upgraded to one of our superior rooms.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed one night at the hotel while we went to a wedding in a nearby village. The building and grounds are lovely, but the service was disappointing.

We arrived early, our fault not theirs, and the room we had booked was not ready. Which we understood and asked if we could just use the loos to get changed in to go to the wedding. The receptionist was very helpful and looked for a room for us that was ready and switched our booking.

However, when we got to the room there were other peoples things in it, the beds were unmade and dirty towels on the floor.

As we were running late we just quickly changed our clothes and left them to sort it out.

When we got back the room was empty and clean and a basket of fruit and bottle of wine had been left to say sorry.

The room was small - hot and noisy. Not from people, but from some sort of fan or extractor outside. We turned the air con on and that just made the noise feel like I was hearing it stereo.

We paid £10 for a breakfast, when we got down there - no one asked us if we wanted tea and coffee - we had to go and search for someone to ask. There were no plates, then no bread for toast and then no milk... An overpriced, understaffed restaurant.

I felt we paid well over the odds for an average service, I've had better from a B & B at half the price.

Needless to say I couldn't recommend it to anyone but have given it 3 stars because of the buildings, grounds and the nice lady on reception.

Wendy

Room Tip: Avoid room 30
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wendy S

Dear Wendy

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay. I am sorry your experience was not upto your expectations, your comments are of great concern as achieving and exceeding the customer satisfaction is always our aim. I can assure you that all your comments will be discussed with the Departmental Managers to prevent a re-occurrance.

I do hope you will return to the hotel and we can restore your faith in Elcot Park Hotel.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for one night having pre-booked on lastminute.com.
The check in process was efficient, but on being asked for my credit card I refused saying I would pay cash for extras. (Thus avoiding the possibility of being charged twice for the room).
The room we were given appeared to have been recently refurbished. The room and en suite facilities were excellent. The only strange feature was the bedroom ceiling, which had been papered but something was obviously wrong with the paste - the edges of each roll of paper were stained and some pieces were coming away from the ceiling! How does this not get noticed by Housekeeping?
The evening meal could be selected from either table d hote or a la carte menus. A good range of options on both, and we were happy with our meals.
Before retiring to bed I checked with reception about the timing of breakfast & whether it was included in the room price. I wasn't surprised to find that breakfast is an additional charge.
What did surprise me was that the price of £13.95 per person was the same whether you had continental or full English. As we both have cereals & OJ for breakfast we didn't think much of the idea of paying £28 for this, so declined breakfast. How would French customers of Mercure feel about paying 16.50 Euros per person for their coffee & croissant?

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Hand10

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay, I have passed your comments onto the maintenance team about the bedroom ceiling.
Please accept my apologies regarding the breakfast cost, we are looking at implementing a seperate charge for a continental breakfast.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

My wife, son & I have visited three times over the last 2 years and on each occasion have found the hotel and our room to be well presented, clean and tidy. The grounds allow a relaxing stay and time to play with your children. Unfortunately this visit has to be marked lower than previous visits because, 1)the swimming pool is no longer available, although not highlighted by the hotel, caveat emptor, and 2) the hotel had been taken over by a coach part visiting from Yorkshire that essentially commandeered the restaurant at the time we would usually eat (for our young son). We were left to either accept the bar area as our restaurant or spend our money elsewhere. Sorry Elcot, as a frequent visitor this was not acceptable so we took the latter option. Previous visits had introduced us to Lubo the Maitre 'D who would have ensured we were catered for but unfortunately he was on annual leave and greatly missed by us.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GregMB

Dear Greg

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay. I am sorry your experience was not up to your expectations. I will follow up your comments concerning the coach party with our restaurant team and my apologies that our leisure club is now closed.
I do hope you will consider returning to the hotel in the future and please contact me personnally to if you do return.

kind regards