“Disappointed”

Ranked #37 of 219 Restaurants in Newbury
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Bunk Inn, a traditional village pub full of charm and character situated just moments from Newbury Racecourse, minutes from Highclere Castle and just over an hour from London. Set in the beautiful village of Curridge, the 9 warm and stylish rooms are each equipped with flat-screen TVs, tea/coffee facilities, free Wi-Fi and en-suite bathrooms. Head Chef Lewis Spreadbury is earning rave reviews for his carefully crafted seasonal lunch and dinner menus offering traditional pub classics and more refined dining. A full breakfast menu is also available daily. A superb selection of real ales from nearby Upham Brewery are on offer alongside a fine choice of wines and champagnes. The pub itself is easily accessible from the M4 and is ever-popular with locals, holidaying couples and families, business travellers and, of course, race goers. Both Reading and Oxford are a short drive and the pub offers ample free on-site parking.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Our expectation was of a super lovely roast in our fairly local village and long time pub. I dont live in the area anymore but had come to visit my Mum. We managed to order a roast albeit late in the day so roast beef was all gone. We had a choice of half a chicken or pork. We were seated straight away but the service overall was terrible. Two young girls who were not that busy but restaurant a quarter full perhaps. It took them a long while to deliver the bottle of wine we had ordered after the water. The table was really sticky and we requested it wiped but the young girl kept spraying the table but without elbow grease and it still seemed sticky although the previous sticky drink marks had disappeared. The owner came and asked if we'd like to move tables but we opted to stay put for convenience as all other tables were large and we were two people, and just lean on the menus as the table was just too sticky to lean on. Apparantely the table had been varnished recently.
When the roast arrrived, we requested a serviing spoon for our veg but that didnt materialise so I went and got it myself. We also asked for condiments also arrived without spoon so we used our knives. I think after a couple of our complaints they paid us a little more attention. Food was pretty tasty but the chicken was possibly a bit large, I could only eat a quarter & I do enjoy a decent portion. No vegan roast on the menu.
Its not all bad and staff are polite but considering not that busy at 5pm on a Sunday, was a little disappointed.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (320)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Our two nights staying at The Bunk Inn gave us some of the best food we'd had in our three week visit. We were traveling with our three-year old daughter and all of us enjoyed fresh, healthy and interesting meals. With a menu with daily changing specials the fare is always fresh and seasonal. My gosh the sausages, the duck breast, the triple cooked chips, the asparagus and duck egg, the Eton Mess - all brilliant. The kitchen staff were so accommodating to our daughter and we finally found a restaurant that served a side of steamed and raw vegetables - that had been really tough to find! The Bunk Inn also has a fun pub with board games and a cosy atmosphere which we really enjoyed on our final day where we were just too tired to venture far. I'd thoroughly recommend The Bunk Inn to stay and definitely to eat. Thanks so much!

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Living locally but not having been here for several years I was interested to see what the Bunk was like these days. Two of us decided to have a late lunch and were able to eat outside as it was pleasantly warm weather. The choice of beers on hand pumps is very good, as is the food. The staff and the very pleasant interior also make it a worthwhile place to visit. We will definitely not leave it so long before visiting again and trying the dinner menu as well.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We went for dinner and stayed over for a friends Birthday. We went up to our room to find the shower cubicle actually in the room!! So there was the bed about an 8 inch gap to the shower - the oddest thing. There was a separate toilet and sink which was fine but to have a shower in your room is bizarre. The glass wasnt even frosted!!
Dinner was a bit of a disappointment I had the pork which was very dry my starter of Chorizo croquettes were very bland and were mainly just potato. We spent quite a lot of money on drinks and dinner with wine but were told that just after a eleven o'clock the bar was closing and we all had to leave. My friend who's birthday it was and who had arranged the stay was very disappointed and we assumed as we were staying guests we may have been able to order liqueurs or perhaps one for the road!!!
In the morning I experienced the shower in the room and had to get out of the shower as the water didnt drain and I feared the water would spill into the room.

Not the greatest of all stays - will not be returning.

1  Thank 287Lou
Reviewed September 14, 2019

Me and my friends and family had an amazing time last week.
It was my friends Birthday Party....
staff were friend and so accommodating!!!
Ricardo made this day even more fun and special by being so friendly and helpful and Fun!
He defiantly should run this place!!!!

1  Thank Olga L