“great food and location”
Review of The Halfway Inn

The Halfway Inn
Ranked #21 of 192 Restaurants in Newbury
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 17, 2014

The restaurant is lovely furnished, every room looks different and special.
Food was great and the staff very polite and caring.
Definitely a great experience.

Reviewed August 16, 2014

Beautifully decorated place - I love the wallpaper in the ladies! However the seating is actually not very comfortable. The food is absolutely delicious and beautifully presented, however the size of the portions were excessive even for all of us who normally have big portion. A few of us had the gammon and chips where they were given two very large steak with only a small coleslaw. I had the Caesar salad but again it was huge. There is no children menu as such but my two children shared the beautifully cooked omelette however it arrived at least 15 minutes after the first plate came to our table - we actually attempted to cancel it as there was so much food already at the table. It would of been better to literally half the portion with reduced prices.

Reviewed August 13, 2014

Absolutely fantastic evening meal, wonderful service and ambience. I can safely say I have not enjoyed a meal out so much in a long time. The staff strike a perfect balance between being attentive and leaving you to enjoy your meal. The pianist was superb and I can't wait to come back again ⭐️

Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

Amazing restaurant. Beautiful inside. Food was best I had in years! I enjoyed every mouthful. Amazing guy playing piano as you eat. Highly recommend

nora-chud, Owner at The Halfway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

many thanks for your time to send us feed back, we look forward to welcoming you back.

all the team

Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

I'll start with the good - ambience, polite and attentive staff, clean and tidy.

The bad: "Award winning ales" - as long as it's bottled. Drinks expensive, £4.50 for a pint of Guinness, £4 for a martini and lemonade!

No kids menu, basically paid £8.85 for two polish sausages, some chips lettuce and gravy.

OH had the chicken burger, which was ok, by far the best meal.

I went for the ten oz beef burger. Hmmm, massive, cooked ok but a bit rare really, however it was laced with thyme which was so strong that's all I could taste and I'm still tasting it now several hours later. There wasn't enough fat content to have any taste and left the burger dry.

Salad (iceberg lettuce) was wet when put on bun, so that left a soggy mess.

The chips had potential to be good, but were far too salty, especially on my daughter's meal.

Take a punt if you want to, but personally I'd ignore the good reviews and avoid.

The food is terrible really for the price

2  Thank Brokentechie
nora-chud, Manager at The Halfway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Thank you for your comments, I am sorry you did not enjoy your time with us. In regards to a children’s menu you are correct in the fact we do not have a set menu, having three children of our own we know how varied their tastes can be, so we will try our best to accommodate the needs of our younger dinners upon request.
As for the drink prices we are, without sounding rude, here to make a profit as I am sure you do in your business, but they are about average for the area.
I am very proud of our burger, and yes we do us fresh herbs and 100% pure beef.
I have asked the staff and you only brought your comments to the attention of our staff at the end of your meal and so giving them no chance to correct any errors or dislikes you may of had.
I am sorry you did not enjoy your meal.