“How it gets good reviews I'll never know.”
Review of The Halfway Inn

The Halfway Inn
Ranked #18 of 187 Restaurants in Newbury
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
“How it gets good reviews I'll never know.”
Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

I'll start with the good - ambience, polite and attentive staff, clean and tidy.

The bad: "Award winning ales" - as long as it's bottled. Drinks expensive, £4.50 for a pint of Guinness, £4 for a martini and lemonade!

No kids menu, basically paid £8.85 for two polish sausages, some chips lettuce and gravy.

OH had the chicken burger, which was ok, by far the best meal.

I went for the ten oz beef burger. Hmmm, massive, cooked ok but a bit rare really, however it was laced with thyme which was so strong that's all I could taste and I'm still tasting it now several hours later. There wasn't enough fat content to have any taste and left the burger dry.

Salad (iceberg lettuce) was wet when put on bun, so that left a soggy mess.

The chips had potential to be good, but were far too salty, especially on my daughter's meal.

Take a punt if you want to, but personally I'd ignore the good reviews and avoid.

The food is terrible really for the price

2 Thank Brokentechie
nora-chud, Manager at The Halfway Inn, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you for your comments, I am sorry you did not enjoy your time with us. In regards to a children’s menu you are correct in the fact we do not have a set menu, having three children of our own we know how varied their tastes can be, so we will try our best to accommodate the needs of our younger dinners upon request.
As for the drink prices we are, without sounding rude, here to make a profit as I am sure you do in your business, but they are about average for the area.
I am very proud of our burger, and yes we do us fresh herbs and 100% pure beef.
I have asked the staff and you only brought your comments to the attention of our staff at the end of your meal and so giving them no chance to correct any errors or dislikes you may of had.
I am sorry you did not enjoy your meal.

London, United Kingdom
“Loved this place, amazing food and ambience. Portions are too big though...”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

The service was amazing, made us feel very welcome. The decor is lovely and very cosy.
Cannot fault the food apart from the fact that the portions were far too big, much food wasted...

• Visited August 2014
“Be hungry when you stop here.”
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

Came here with friends on a Sunday and expected the menu online, looked great but could only have a roast or a roast in a baguette- that said was very tasty and good value, large portions.
Came back few days later for dinner, enjoyed the grand, regal feel of the deco! And ordered ribs and burger from main menu, huge portions: man vs food! That explained the price- well worth it though! Friendly staff, good service, nice atmosphere and great location- very surprised at how busy it was on a Thursday evening given in the middle of nowhere... Speaks volumes I think! Will come back, but only when starving!

1 Thank CMFCC
Lambourn, United Kingdom
“ok”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Good food but didn't expect it to be as expensive as it is. Staff and service ok and it is conveniently located on the main road. It was just a about ok without a need to complain. May be going back

Visited August 2014
Marlborough, United Kingdom
“Superb Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We have visited The Halfway several times in the past and have never been disappointed. This time we booked for Sunday Lunch and were celebrating our Wedding Anniversary. The welcome from the staff as warm and friendly and we were offered a choice of a table outside (it was a lovely warm day) or inside. We decided on sitting inside because the piano was being played in the background .. a lovely ambience. The food was up to the restaurants very high standard and we were delighted with the service provided. Will definitely be returning in the future.

• Visited August 2014