“Just lovely!”
Review of The Halfway Inn

The Halfway Inn
Ranked #19 of 187 Restaurants in Newbury
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Just lovely!”
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

We went to the Halfway for Lunch on Valentines day and it was lovely. The decor is definitely eclectic but this creates a really great atmosphere. We found the staff attentive and intelligent, anticipating without us having to ask. I felt that they actually gave a damn that we were there, which is so rare nowadays.

The "starters" on the bar menu were little buckets of fun but where HUGE.. we didn't even try and finish them even though they tasted great. The main was not stingy either. If I was being very picky I could say that the plaice was ever so slightly overdone but that would be being mean to what was a great dish. My husband had the minute steak and polished off the lot!

All in all we had the most fantastic lunch. One thing I would say is book in advance. When we were there they had to turn away at least 20 people (but then I would question who would try and eat in a place as popular as this on Valentines without a reservation!).

Will be returning very soon.

Visited February 2014

Kintbury, United Kingdom
“Great way to celebrate a birthday ending in zero”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Booked 2 tables for 20 people to celebrate my birthday on 8th February and I can't tell you how good it was. The food was excellent, the service was great, nothing was too much trouble and the atmosphere was top rate. All of my guests have been emailing me to say how much they enjoyed themselves and I would thoroughly recommend anyone to hold their birthday celebrations at The Halfway.

Newbury, United Kingdom
“Let down”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Booked a table for 7 people following recommendations. Arrived at a quaint nicely lit bar. We were not greeted by anybody so made our way to the bar, but the area is so small you find yourself navigating around diners, drinkers and the piano. We finally got served and were directed (not taken) to our table. Our table was nicely laid out but so so small we couldn't sit comfortably, the worst part was the location which was right next to the entrance/exit door, we certainly didnt feel like we were having a nice quiet private meal. The table is away from the main dining area which along with slow service leads you to feel that you are forgotten about. Its also very close to the piano which means it becomes more of an irritant than an enjoyment. some meals are served on wooden blocks, they look lovely but are larger than plates, so in an already cramped table some diners had to manipulate surroundings to eat. Menu is varied, lamb shanks were lovely but steak was ok and whilst the burgers are large it feels that this does compromise the flavour. Cheese board was lovely. Bill for 7 was £252 plus we paid taxi fees of £30 maybe our expectations were too high, but not a venue I would consider returning to.

Newbury, United Kingdom
“Could not recommend”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Booked to go for our granddaughters 18th birthday, what a disappointment our table was squeezed in next to the exit/entry door which was not good and the seating was too close together could hardly move.
staff were nice and quite helpful food was served quickly,my husband ordered a 12oz steak which cost £20 and it was the smallest I have ever seen, burgers were big but had no taste and did not look good at a cost of £15/16 chips were dark brown, I could go on but in general I thought the food was poor and will not be visiting again.

1 Thank 318linda
Southampton, United Kingdom
“very welcoming gastro pub and staff”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Although we had booked lunch for 5 people on Saturday, due to adverse weather conditions,3 friends arrived very late. The staff said we should not worry, and promptly took us to our table, and put more logs on the nearby fire!The decor and ambience is old world charm, and it was very cosy. A pianist played throughout the lunchtime, it was not intrusive.
The menu was simple, but a good cross section of food,also a few daily specials ( and we were told the prices of these).Excellent ,friendly service, a true find. Mains ran from £9 to £16, averaging about £12.
The meal for 5 including 5 soft drinks, 2 glasses of wine and 5 coffees came to just under £100.
Very good value for the experience.