“Good pub grub”
Review of The Halfway Inn

The Halfway Inn
Ranked #21 of 192 Restaurants in Newbury
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2013

A little bit out of town, so you will have to drive to get here, but don't be put off by the outside. Inside it is a delight, with an open fire to greet you and decent home cooked food on offer. Will be returning again for Sunday lunch soon.

1  Thank AndrewCNewbury

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We had dinner here a couple of months ago and had a lovely two course meal. The food is very tasty, fresh and the ingredients are locally sourced.

After our meal the chef asked us if we'd enjoyed our meal and told us a little bit about himself, which was nice.

The service was very good, and we will definitely return. It's worth getting in the car to come here, rather than going to our local.

2  Thank Queneth_Veneth
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I can’t recommend this place enough. We popped in last night looking for some nice food after a busy work day and a late meeting.

Immediately the atmosphere hit you, relaxed surroundings, a lovely open fire burning logs, warm comfy chairs and sofas with intimate tables for eating along with candles dotted all around.

The decor is very tasteful, newspapers, baby grand piano, lovely old gramophone etc. all illuminated by candles spaced throughout. the music was chilled and if you want a typical "pub" experience there were barstools as you would expect to find around the bar.

We chose an intimate candle lit table by the open fire. The menu was great and the specials even more appealing (well to me) I selected the barbeque ribs with coleslaw, chips and salad. Just wonderful, the ribs were the best I think I've ever experienced, the sauce to die for. The chips hand cut and crispy, very tasty homemade coleslaw all in all a great feast. My partner chose Comfit Duck with Potatoes and ratatouille. All just lip-smacking gorgeous!

I will certainly be returning to this wonderful little spot of foodie paradise. The prices were also great too !!!

If you’ve not tried it yet ..... why not?

1  Thank Jayn1e
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stopped off here after an evening meeting. It was around 8:30pm and the end of a long day for both of us.
A friend had recommended this establishment as offering good food.
She wasn't far wrong, the food was great.
This is not your average roadside pub offering mediocre roadside "grub"
As we entered there was a roaring logfire complementing the intimate burgundy decor.
The settee and round tables strategically placed in bay windows look "right" The plethora of celebrity chef cook books on the window ledges give a feeling of the food being important.

Our host, a young man of Eastern was extremely polite and attentive.

We ate the specials: Confit Duck Leg & Barbecue Ribs supported by a good house Chardonnay.

The food was good, portion sizes equally so. One minor criticism, the ribs were served in a dish swimming a lovely sauce. This made them difficult to separate. Better on a board supplied with steak knife. Other than that I can't complain.

They also have a pianist over on weekends playing show tunes a contemporary music. I will try to find some time visit here for some live music.

All in all, good food, great ambience, nice staff. What's not to like?

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I needed somewhere to meet In between swindon and maidenhead, now we've found this place we'll be using it all the time. Less than 10 mins from the motorway. warm welcome, log fires, cosy atmosphere. The burger we ordered was so large it was quite intimidating! But superb quality. Can't recommend this place enought. I took my well behaved 7 year old daughter with me and I would again but it was such a lovely atmosphere I probably wouldn't take my energetic 4 year old boy. I also forgot to ask for a child's portion which I would highly recommend doing.

1  Thank Homer815