“wonderful experience, what eating out should be like”
Review of The Halfway Inn

The Halfway Inn
Ranked #19 of 191 Restaurants in Newbury
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Dinner for 2, Friday 2nd November
First thing that strikes you is the wonderful ambience, cosy, low lighting with candles everywhere. And a young pianist, playing a mixture of old jazz, classical, west end theatre classics.
The service is friendly, smiling, and efficient, the genuine desire to please was very evident.
Nothing was too much trouble, nothing forgotten - request for more bread, there in 30 seconds - request for the brioche for the the pate to be toasted - 2 mins later, a whole basket of toasted brioche.

And the food was sublime. My wife's monkfish with crab-rich linguine was lovely, and my medium rare rib-eye steak cooked to perfection, presented on a board, with a mushrooms, salad, and a veritable mountain of chips, too many for me given the starters and bread with balsamic vinegar I'd already devoured.

Two glasses of sauvignon and 2 soft drinks, the bill was £73, £81 with a 10% tip. So for us, not an every week occurrence, but a woinderful treat, and guarantees many returns. Can't wait to take family and friends.

But this is as it should be. We get so used to rubbish service and mediocre fare, especially from somne of the chains, that our expectations are set accordingly.

The atmosphere and the pianist truly make this a memorable experience, i just hope they don't change anything!

Reviewed October 30, 2012

It's a must try. Everything about our meal was great service food atmosphere. It was romantic too. Lets put it this way I have justbearned a he'll of Alito of browny points.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I have visited this restaurant on a number of occasions and have never been disappointed. The food is delicious,the service wonderful and there is a warm and cosy ambience. On my most recent visit we had two small children in our party. They were greeted with delight and as a result we felt comfortable and able to relax and enjoy a very good Sunday lucnch. Don't be put off by the unprepossessing exterior it really is worht a visit.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I chose the Halfway Inn for "date night" last night. The restaurant was empty at 7pm but it was warm, the staff were lovely and the ambiance was wonderful. We had a table looking out the window. Our starters were amazing, the added touch of passionfruit to the Parma Ham and Melon was lovely. We were a little worried about the service when a very large party arrived about 7.45pm but it did not change one little bit. My husband chose the Calfs liver and although it was not to his liking it was nevertheless lovely but the manager did not charge us for it which was unexpected. Im not a dessert person but the Dark Chocolate and Orange Torte was "to die for". Coffee and chocolate finished off the wonderful evening. A the bill was such a surprise - we appreciate good value for money and you more than get that at the Halfway Inn.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is a great place to eat and I cant understand why it wasnt busy except that it was a Monday night which is never brilliant. I had the chicken liver parfait with orange and peppercorn marmalade and brioche, a great blend of flavours. My dining partner had garlic mushrooms on toast which he said were wonderful. He then had a thai green curry which looked magnificent and he really enjoyed it. I had rib eye which had the most amazing maillard browning and a wonderful flavour. It came with chips coleslaw tomatoes and mushrooms and I was full very quickly so took the steak home! And not for the dog! The staff were very attentive and the only niggle was that the place was so empty but apparently this is rare.