All reviews thyme restaurant retail park opening windows quality towels walked past a short walking distance beds were extremely comfortable teething problems air con new build spacious family room plenty of parking lamb kofta a lovely evening meal business visit room card modern hotel

• Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with premierinn.com
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is the fourth time we have visited a Premier in in the last two to three years where staple items have been sold out from the menu at a very early stage in the evening on peak nights. This time there was no sirloin steak. So we ordered pizza. The waitress came back, sold out of pizza at 7.30 in the evening. Really? We cancelled our order and went elsewhere. This has happened to us before in York twice and in Sheffield. Check out how many times Magister Militum/Clewer stay with you per year and how many years we have been customers. Usually all very good but this time I was cross. The chefs were very appathetic about it. Something is not working re number of guests staying and the type and quantity of food ordered for the restaurants. Waitress Gracie was nice and she was apologetic. You do put your front line staff in the firing line on these occasions. Some members of the public might not be as understanding as we were. Thank you for hearing my complaint.

Review collected in partnership with premierinn.com
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Booked in here as my first choice hotel was fully booked. Arrived and checked in and found the room to be fresh, clean and modern although the chap on reception could learn from a customer relations course as he was surly in his manner and never smiled once.
Booked a table for dinner for 6:30pm and duly arrived a bit before and got a drink from the bar as we waited. Not many people in the restaurant at this time so we spoke to a waitress and were shown to our table and she promptly walked away without asking if we wanted anything. After a 20 minute wait I finally flagged down a member of staff and asked them to take our order which he duly did. I also ordered a couple of drinks which in hindsight I should have fetched myself had I know how long we'd eventually wait. By 7:15pm there was still no sign of our food or drink and everytime I tried to make eye contact with a staff member they just looked the other way and disappeared in to the kitchen. The phrase "headless chickens" springs to mind. Finally at 7:24 our food arrived but still no drinks so I asked if they had forgotten or not ordered them to which the waitress walked away without a word and headed for the bar. The drinks arrived about 5 minutes later. No apology from anyone about the shoddy service. A table of three were sitting next to us and were getting equally frustrated as they had just been shown to the table and left there for 15 minutes without a menu to even look at. I have stayed at many Premier Inns through work as my company has a corporate account with them and this "restaurant" is by far the worst experience I've ever had by far. The staff don't have a clue whats going on and to top it all they don't seem to care especially the manager who has no customer service skills at all from what we saw. Thank goodness we were only there for 1 night. Breakfast wasn't much better as the person at the entrance who was checking everyone in just took our names and room number and never uttered another word to us but just left us to do our own thing. He simply turned round, leant on the lectern where his paper work was and never moved for half an our and each person that came in got the same ignorant treatment as we did. Unbelievably shocking service so can honestly say I will never stop at this particular establishment again unless the staff are replaced by people that understand the importance of customer service.

1  Thank jarders
WhitbreadHotels, Guest Relations at Premier Inn Newbury Town Centre South (A339), responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi,

Thanks for your review.

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your experience staying with us as it was not up to the standards you were expecting. It is great to hear the room was great as usual but you were left unsatisfied with our Thyme restaurant.

I am disappointed to hear of the poor dinner and breakfast experience you had in our Thyme restaurant during your stay. We pride ourselves on the quality and service our restaurants provide and so I apologise we let you down on this occasion. The issues you experience certainly doesn't sound like the quality or service we would expect.

We're very sorry for the long wait time you had to receive both your food and drink plus the poor service at both dinner and breakfast by the team.

I have ensured your feedback has been passed on to the Manager of the restaurant to look into so that improvements can be made to prevent your experience being repeated.

In future, please do not hesitate to request to speak with a Duty Manager who will be happy to help whilst you are still in-house.

Once again I apologise for the disappointment caused and we hope your next stay with us is miles better!

Kind regards,

Rebecca

Reviewed September 8, 2018

Great hotel, that is modern, clean and well cared for. The family room that I had was spacious, spotlessly clean and well equipped for an overnight stay.

The downside was the staff, that ranged from clueless and disinterested to patronising. In particular, the lady that I dealt with must have been on a bonus for how many times she could say "Sir" in a patronising fashion. Her voice was loud and it was as though she was performing for an audience. A totally can't-do attitude, and was well up on what she couldn't do for customers. Get rid of her, she is doing your lovely hotel a real disservice.

Hello Ian,

I'm very happy to hear you were satisfied with your room. However, I'm most disappointed to hear of the service you received from the staff member. I can imagine how much frustration this caused and this certainly isn't what we'd expect for our guests nor is it how we train our staff. Rest assured, all comments have been passed to the hotels management team for them to have a further look in to this. We wouldn't want something like this to happen again so thank you for sharing your thoughts. Retraining will most likely be looked in to.

If you'd like to discuss these issues further, please do so with our Guest Relations team. You can reach them by calling 0333 003 0025 (option 1). You can also submit your complaint/feedback on our website via the 'Contact Us' page and a member of our Guest Relations team will get back to you within 14 days.

Please accept our apologies for the experience you had. We'd hate to think that this experience would make you think twice about staying with us again so please have confidence that this isn't our usual standard. We also take all complaints and feedback very seriously so thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

We really hope to see you again soon.

Ricky

Reviewed September 6, 2018 via mobile

A standard really. However, all of my party experienced really bad itching which we traced back to whatever the bedding was cleaned in.
The breakfast was of a good standard and the levels were kept full.
Basically it is a premier Inn. You know the standard you get but I've knocked off starts solely due to the itchy sheets!

Stayed: September 2018, traveled with family