“Every thing I didn't want”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of George and Horn

George and Horn
Ranked #25 of 27 Newbury B&B and Inns
Basingstoke, England, United Kingdom
“Every thing I didn't want”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

On checking Booking.com for somewhere to stay on a Saturday night, I came across the George and Horn in Kingsclere, it seemed to have everything I was looking for on that particular Saturday. Wi Fi in the rooms so that I could finish some work in peace, A fine dinning restaurant so that I could get some dinner and then back to my lap top to finish my work before a bit of TV in peace and then a good nights sleep.
On arrival at the George and Horn I parked up in the some what cramped car park and made my way to reception which was just the bar, This is a locals pub and the bar was packed with locals all quite merry and some more merrier than others. I was shown my room outside in the car park, a converted skittle alley and although very small it was enough for what I needed to do. On asking about food times in the restaurant I was told that this was closed due to a private party being held in there and I could see there was a party style buffet laid out. I was told I could eat in the bar if there was space, this was not really an option due to the amount of upstanding locals who where drinking in there and swaying around in what is not a very big room anyway. Another hotel guest also asked the same question and was told that they could go out and find somewhere else to eat as another option. I returned to my room having decided that I would have to go and look for somewhere to eat but first a bit of work. However the promised Wi Fi was none existent and so back to the bar to question this, the answer was that the signal was not strong enough to reach the outside rooms. Just something to eat was my last option and so back to my room to change and off I would go to find somewhere. Unfortunately during this period there had been a scuffle of some sort and now blue flashing lights where racing into the car park and pulling up just outside my room, turns out someone has been stabbed outside my room and the police are running around trying to find the Victim the Culprit and the Knife. Next they set up a crime scene that includes all access to the car park where my car is parked and nobody is allowed to leave. The party in the pub carries on and so to cut a long story shorter I, along with other guest spend the night in our rooms with no food, no Wi Fi, loads of screaming and shouting from the party goers who where all smoking and watching the police outside and not to forget the constant “BRAVO TANGO, BRAVO TANGO DO YOU COPY” outside the window. I can only finish with my black mildew shower in the morning along with the unorganised breakfast.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Rod S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
East Sussex
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Pub appearance was great and well situated in the village. Allocated Room 7 which is not in the main building so probably better if you don't want disturbance from pub goers and the bedroom was presentable with twin beds. However, the bathroom was in a bad state of disrepair, ie flaking paintwork and the water from the shower shot everywhere hitting the end of the room soaking the toilet and flooring. The flooring is spectactular - not fitted behind the toilet and spongy with holes in at various places which when stood on the water from under the flooring came back up through the holes which left you paddling in water again even though it had been mopped up from the first 'showering' which my partner tried fixing. Had to use the towels to mop up everywhere and when asking for more was told they knew there was a problem!!! Budget accommodation which is what they described it as is no excuse for bad maintenance. Food was adequate - I had chicken and broccoli pie which was advertised as being served with mash and veg which was only provided with mash and peas and when I asked where the veg was I was told they had not had their delivery. On asking if they had any frozen veg they gave me carrots and I had to ask for gravy which was not offered in the first place - why could this all not have been provided as advertised on the board!!!! Breakfast was what you would expect from a pub and adequately cooked.

Room Tip: Room 7 only experienced, no knowledge of others
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christine T

Travelers are raving about these Newbury hotels

Wigan, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I would definitely think again about staying here. If the rooms have been refurbished, I'd like to know what they looked like before. We booked three rooms (the family triple, No.6 & 7). The latter were average to say the least, but the family triple had no wardrobe, a small beside chest of drawers which was dirty and flaking paint on the bathroom ceiling. A black shower curtain in No. 6 make it interesting to have a shower as you couldn't see even with the light on! The power shower over the bath in No. 7 certainly was that and literally soaked the whole room.

For the whole stay ( 3 night) there wasn't a hint of the rooms being serviced and the local residents in the bar were rowdy until the bar closed and then those that stayed removed to their rooms (No.8 & 9) to continue the party.

Whilst the menu was very limited, the lady chef provided reasonable meals (my steak was very tender and flavoursome) but the waitresses at breakfast left a lot to be desired. Breakfast generally was good albeit unimaginative.

Overall the place gave the appearance of being unloved and uncared for. A great shame as it could be a lovely place to stay as the village is quaint and well located..... Sorry but we won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: If you really must stay I'd choose rooms outside in preference to those in the main pub building...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank carol p
Leicester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed at the George and Horn on 19/9, arriving quite late in the evening. Our room was room 4 upstairs, it was a little compact ( im 6.4" ) but actually just enough for us to relax in. Clean bed linen, flat screen tv and clean bathroom with great power shower. Upon arrival we were welcomed by Clare the manager who was very friendly. We ate in the restaurant, good value. I tried a few of the ales at the bar, very nice. A good nights sleep and a hearty breakfast in the morning to set us up for the day. We asked if we could stay later in the room as we had to get to a local meeting later in the afternoon, this was no problem and there was no extra charge. All in all i would recommend this place as a good value stay with friendly and efficient staff.

Room Tip: room 4 has an excellent power shower
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

As I pulled up I thought ,mm this looks nice. I went in to check in, The barmaid was very nice. Took me outside to room 7 in the carpark. Opened the door, Beds unmade. Sorry about this, Could you hold on a minute while I look to see if we have anything else, No prob's. 2 minutes later shr took me into the pub to an upstairs room, I said thanx and she left me to it. This is a very old building I expect uneven wall's and old wooden door's. But the ensuite was loppy. I went downstairs and told the barmaid, " I'm not stopping in there". She was very helpful and asked if I'd mind waiting while she made room 7 up for me. No prob's I'll sit in my van five minutes. The room's look very nice from the outside. They are not part of the old building and dont look very old. When they finished making up the room I got my case out of the van and entered the room. Ok the room's are a decent size, Flat screen TV Clean bedding (as they had just made it up ). The carpet is not very clean. The bathroom is another story. I have never in my life seen a dirty smelly slimey dropping to bits bathroom like it, Oh my god this is the pit's. the floor has a piece of ill fitting lino down over a urine soaked floor that's so spungy under foot that it turned my stomach. It had lot's of hole in it where woman had walked in high heel's and as its so soft the heel's went straight through. All round the base of the toilet bath and sink is black with whatever stains.When I walked around this dump I had my shoes on at all times, I'm not too fussy and have lot's of reviews on tripadvisor for people to read. But this place is a total dump. I didnt go for my breakfast as I couldnt imagine what the kitchen is like. Thank god I was only there for one night, Please keep away from this place. A total dump

Room Tip: None if they are like the one I stayed in. Keep away.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Saywhatisee
Sussex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed here over a Sat night as going to an event in the area. Room was not one above the pub but one of the side rooms off the car parking area. Arrived at about 10am and room was ready which was nice. Twin beds and shower/sink/toilet ensuite. Room was fairly small but had flat screen TV, tea and coffe, towels and toiletries. Arrived back in the evening around 10 and went into the pub for a drink-very noisy and as previous reviewer mentioned full of "white van man" types not sure I would spend a night in the pub but fine for a wind down drink. Didnt find the room noisy and slept well. Shower was good but bathroom on the small side. Room not as clean as it looked at first glance - could do with a bit more attention but nothing that made me want to complain. Cooked breakfast was good, coffee and juice, toast etc but no Tea for some reason....A bit on the early side for a Sunday - 8-9am. All in all an ok stay for one night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

A group of us stayed here for the night as we were going to visit Highclere Castle the following day. Highclere is within easy reach and took us no time at all to get there. On arriving at the Pub/Hotel, we were made to feel very welcome and nothing was too much trouble. Our room had everything we needed and was very clean. We ate in the Restaurant that night after a walk around the very pretty village. Full English Breakfast the following morning was served with a smile by a lovely lady (sorry did not get her name). Overall this is fantastic value for money, and suited us very well as we wanted somewhere reasonable to stay for our trip to Highclere. If I was in the area again, I would not hesitate to book in again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newbury
Good Night Inns Berkshire Arms Hotel
The Bell at Boxford
The Bell at Boxford
#11 of 27 in Newbury
The Carnarvon Arms Hotel

Been to George and Horn? Share your experiences!