“Pre-theatre”

Ranked #133 of 371 Restaurants in Scarborough
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Went as a group of 7 and ate from the pre-theatre menu as we were going to SJT. Good choices and all home made though it threw them a bit when we asked for custard with our crumble! I would have liked veg. with my cottage pie and the waitress said they no longer did it as they threw so much away. Maybe they could give you the option at least and I would have liked a pot of tea rather than a cup. Opens at 5.30 so gives you plenty of time to enjoy your meal. We'd definitely go back. The 2 sisters who served us were very friendly and there was a nice feel about the place- very" French Bistro"

Reviewed May 30, 2014

On holiday in Scarborough and looked at the fixed price menu displayed outside at 5 pm and decided to eat there later that evening. Arrived at 7.45 pm and was seated and given menu which was completely different to menu still displayed outside. On speaking to waitress was advised that the chef had changed menu that afternoon and not changed menu outside. My wife had mentally chosen her meal from outside menu and was very disappointed to find a much reduced choice and chose mushrooms in cream on toast. When this arrived it looked like the mushrooms had been placed on the toast and fresh cream poured all over them. My wife loves mushrooms but could not eat this dish. Worst was to follow with the mains described as coottage pie on the amended menu, a mush of vegatable with small pieces of meat covered in sickly cheese- very sweet and not tasty. Maybe a coot would have tasted better.My wife also had a glass of house white - £5.50 for a revolting glass of undrinkable wine. With the evening ruined I went to pay and advised the waitress we were disappointed and at this time the chef spoke to me and basically said we should have left straight away if the menu did not suit. I advised him we were on holiday and as we had been recommended to go there we assumed the alternative menu would prove to be good. To be honest his manner was very rude and aggressive and I was aware that our conversation could be overheard by other diners but he did not give them a thought and let rip- a very poor dining experience from frankly a third rate chef . A total waste of over £33 and not once did he offer to reduce the bill .I am not usually a person to complain but the chef's attitude and that of the older waitress ( who confirmed to me that they are related) stank. His background says he worked in Michellin star restaur
ants it does not state if he actually cooked in one! The Green Room is one to avoid.

4  Thank Al565
Reviewed May 30, 2014

The food at the Green Room is truly excellent. I had the pre-theatre menu and it was extremely good value. I am a vegetarian and the chef went out of his way to adapt the meal accordingly, even though I was having the set menu. I was really impressed with the whole experience and plan to return to try the a la carte menu.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

What a lovely evening in a lovely restaurant.
The food was fantastic, when i said i did not want the sauce that came with the steak, the chef made me a different one, which was absolutely fantastic.
The taste of chocolate dessert was as good as anything that has been prepared for masterchef......
The staff were first class.
Will definitely be going back.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

We have enjoyed many tasting menus over the years including the Fat Duck, Sat Bains in Nottingham and (6 times) the Michelin starred Neptune in Hunstanton so the £30 option at The Green Room in Scarborough looked to be an absolute bargain. It was superb. The courses flowed naturally, the natural tastes of the ingredients were brilliantly presented and the flavours shone through, not overwhelmed by salt. This is far and away the most intelligent cooking we have enjoyed in Scarborough (including many excellent meals at Jeremy's and the Lanterna) and our only surprise was the lack of fellow diners, albeit on a damp Thursday evening. We will definitely be returning with friends this summer to enjoy the monthly updated menu. We also appreciated the limited but well considered wine list at very reasonable cost.

1  Thank Busyskiing