“Fantastic fish at a reasonable price”
Review of Cafe Fish

Cafe Fish
Ranked #9 of 363 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Fantastic fish at a reasonable price”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We had a lovely meal. The owner offered suggestions based upon what we said we liked, but left us to choose. He was very helpful when I said I couldn't eat tomatoes and said it wouldn't be a problem with any of the dishes (which shows they cook everything freshly). He even checked we were warm enough in the restaurant.
There is a good choice of both starters and mains. Prices for starters are similar to pub prices but the food is really good. I had king prawns for my starter and they were some of the best I have had, cooked perfectly.
We will certainly go again.

Dear Sir/Madam ,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review about your last visits at Cafe Fish . We appreciate all our customers feedback . We are pleased that you have enjoyed your dining experience with us . We do try do keep our prices at the lowest , so that they are fair and reasonable to all our customers.
We are hoping , you will pay us a visit again .

With regards,

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
“Shocking”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

After being recommended to us and family members visiting this restaurant previously we thought we would give it a try!! Not only does the manager William try to choose your food for you he acts very strangely towards all female customers (quite disgusting for an older man) when our food was served it was sub standard the chouder was dry and flavour less, our fish came out rolled over and very dry when we informed our waiter (who could not speak much english) William came barging into the middle of the restaurant demanding who had sent there food back and spoke to us like we didn't know what we were talking about very aggressive and rude we were not making a scene but he was. I wouldn't go near this place again over priced garbage.

• Visited August 2013
11 Thank Nicola T
Dear Sir/Madam ,

Firstly ,I would like to apologize for William's manner of speaking to you and that you have found him rude. He didnt realise , he made you feel uncomfortable and for that , I am sincerely sorry.
Unfortunately, on this occasion I wasn't at work , otherwise i can assure you , I would have dealt with your complaint efficiently.
Secondly , you didnt enjoy our food too, which i can only apologize it wasnt up to your taste. Our chowder is one of our most popular dishes and is always creamy ,full of fish and shellfish and we find it hard to understand how you can describe a soup as dry ? I have spoke to the chef and the waiter about the main course which you also described as dry and in our opinion the fish was cook fresh and juicy . However , I understand that it wasn't the right choice for you .
I hope you will give our restaurant another chance and i promise you , you won't be disappointed. If you decide to come back , please ask about me on the phone when making the booking and I will personally make sure your will have a great dining experience with us .

With regards,
Leeds
“Don't go on a Monday !”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I have been in this business long enough to know that really fresh fish is not available on Mondays but as this place was open we thought we would see what was on offer and the answer was 'not a lot'. The owner may be a character but I wish he would have his shirt in or out and invest in a comb ! There were no oysters, so we had scallops - the smallest ever for a heck of a price and then the scampi. The batter was the same as on the Brie and not particularly pleasant but the real eye opener were the chips, described as rosemary chips they were frozen steak fries with a tiny amount of dried rosemary scattered over !! Desserts were nothing exciting and the strawberry meringue looked as if somebody had gone bonkers with the squirty cream. Such a shame but not again for us.

3 Thank johnboyLeeds
Dear Sir/Madam ,

Firstly , I apologize that you didnt enjoy your meal at our restaurant. As you correctly stated there is no where we could buy a fresh fish on a Monday , therefore we use our stock from Saturday when all the fish was bought .However , we have informed you about this at the very start. I am sorry , there were things we have run out of due to our busy weekend , but we are a fresh fish restaurant and do not freeze any of our food , therefore we cant always promise the particular things on the menu will be available on the night . Our scallops , were Scottish scallops , and when we buy them fresh sometimes they are a king scallops and sometimes we get the queen scallops which are smaller , but we make sure when they are significantly smaller ,we put an extra scallop so our customers still get value for money .
I am slightly confused with the comment about the brie , because we do not batter our brie , its breadcrumbs so there is no possibility of your brie being the same as scampi .
Our chunky chips are very popular and i can not re call the last time someone has ever complaint about them . However , I can only say sorry they werent up to your taste.
I hope you will give our restaurant another chance , and maybe come on a weekend when mostly everything on our menu is available and all the extra specials are on .
With regards ,
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“One of the best in Scarborough”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

It is a couple of years since we ate here, and from some of the reviews I wondered if we would still enjoy our visit, but we had a lovely evening. We decided to go for the William's choice (£20 each for his choice of starter and main, based on what was available). This was great value and beautifully served, with very nice bread on the table - not so often automatically provided these days. William also helped with our choice of wine. The restaurant is being enlarged to take in part of a neighbouring property, and going to include an oyster bar, looking forward to seeing that.

Dear Sir/Madam ,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review about your last visit at Cafe Fish . We appreciate all our customers feedback. We are glad , you have enjoyed your meal at our restaurant once again .We are also very excited to open our Champagne & Oyster Bar , which hopefully be open before Christmas , and no doubt we will see you again soon .
Thanks again.
Brighton East Sussex
“Good honest food - loved it”
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Visited on a Wednesday night out of season, so they were quiet. The aforementioned owner sat down with us in the bar area and explained what he had in his fridge for the catch of the day specials, which seemed a great approach. I can see where the 'idiosyncratic owner' comments come from, but the world would be a sadder and blander place without characters like this running their own establishments however they want to. I had the chowder to start and seabass with monkfish as a main course, both were exellent, and I will definitely revisit here on my next trip to Scarborough. Much better than I expected to find on a Wednesday night in October in a seaside town, although they weren't very busy. Worth a visit - great food!

Dear Sir/Madam ,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review about your last visit at Cafe Fish . We appreciate all our customers feedback. We are glad , you have enjoyed your meal at our restaurant , even though ut was on a quiet weds night ! We will hopefully see you again. Maybe try out a weekend when the restaurant is a lot busier with a great atmosphere!

With regards ,