“Excellent hotel for Coeliacs”

Bay New Southlands Hotel
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel for Coeliacs”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

If you have trouble, like me, with gluten intolerance, then this is the hotel for you!
They provided a special menu for me each day, which included lovely warm gluten free buns and bread.
The hotel itself is very nice and the entertainment they provided each night was excellent.
I would just like to say a big thank you to this hotel and all its staff for their brilliant service.
Well done !!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dudberg
ruth_janicki, Manager at Bay New Southlands Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
I am so glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to provide a suitable menu for you. My chef is always more than happy to accommodate a varied range of special diets and he will be chuffed to see you enjoyed your meals. I will be sure to pass on your comments and we hope to see you again in the future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I've been visiting Scarborough man and boy for over fifty years and this is the best hotel in the town I have stayed in! We booked a Monday to Friday break through National Holidays at an amazingly low price so our expectations weren't too great but had a delightful surprise. A spacious comfortable room with plenty of tea and coffee, flat screen TV and a convection heater as this was January. Then there was the food - fantastic. Waiter service with choices for all 3 courses which changed every night and the best hotel coffee i've tasted. Breakfast was along the same lines with even kippers on the menu! Rooms cleaned every day, friendly and informative staff and good entertainment each evening. The next trip we take has a lot to live up to!

4 Thank JohnA56
I am very pleased to read that your stay with us exceeded your expectations, thank you for taking the time to post such fantastic comments. I will pass your comments regarding the food on to our Head chef and his team who will be delighted to read your comments. I hope we se you again in the not too distant future.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2014

having recentely stayed at this hotel I would like to share my findings . Excelent value for money .The food was always served with a smile ,varied menu and good ingredients.. The reception staff were always ready to give advice and assistance (I required medical treatment) especially Pam who helped a lot. Rooms are clean and well presented . The entertainment was varied and generally extremely good although monday and tuesday evenings were without doubt the best of the week. As we were there on a five day Shearings we thouroughly enjoyed the two excursions to York and Whitby which were included in the price.I really dont know how Shearings do all of this for the price. We will be there for my husbands 60th birthday celebrations in October, cant wait !!!

Room Tip: We were on the first floor these rooms I believe have been recently renovated. We had a standard roo...
7 Thank joan h
It is great to read such kind comments regarding all aspects of your stay with us. I will pass your comments on to all the staff including Pam as they all work very hard to ensure your stay is a pleasant one. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed both the excursions and the entertainment. We look forward to seeing you again in October to celebrate your husband's 60th Birthday.
Morecambe, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We have just had a wonderful weekend break at the New Southlands Hotel. This was the best Shearings hotel we have stayed at. Our room 106 was large, well furnished and spotless and we are still wondering if we had been upgraded. The whole hotel was lovely. Staff were all very helpful. The dining room was very smart and the meals were excellent. The icing on the cake was the entertainment which was brilliant. Couldn't fault the weekend at all.

11 Thank Barbara L
Thank you for taking the time to post such lovely comments. Room 106 is a standard room the big bay window makes a wonderful feature in the room. It is great to see the nice comments you made regarding the staff we have at the hotel I will pass these comments on to all the departments. I am glad that you enjoyed the entertainment that we had on that weekend. I hope we will be seeing you again in the near future.
Saltburn-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Just returned from a 2 night dinner bed and breakfast stay at this hotel in Scarborough.
We arrived just after midday and although check in was 3 pm , we were hoping to use the car park that we had paid extra for £5.00 per day.So it was a surprise when were also able to check in early.
So here we go ;

Staff were brilliant , very efficient and friendly. Nothing was to much trouble for them.

Food ..was excellent. It was nice to have the food served at your table , rather than a buffet service. I would say that the food was the best we have had in any hotel.The restaurant was a nice place to be with really friendly staff and a great atmosphere.

Drinks.... were a bit expensive but the 2nd night ( Sat ) we had vouchers for 8 free drinks so it balanced itself out.

Entertainment....well we don't bother too much about it but we heard what was going from our seats in the lounge and the guest's appeared to be enjoying it. If you are interested there is bingo and sometimes a quiz.and also a vocalist.

Hotel...is spotless and clean and a lovely place to be.
Not far to walk into town or down onto the esplanade where you can walk all the way round from the south bay to the north bay and then back into town.Takes about 1 hour thirty minutes! But nice to do after breakfast !

Rooms...well the room we had was very comfortable, with a double bed but very small , only had shower no bath. Had we been staying longer we would have probably asked for a room with a bath as it is nice to have a soak after walking about all day.

I thoroughly recommend this hotel and you won't be disappointed. We shall return !

7 Thank bonnieb197247
ruth_janicki, General Manager at Bay New Southlands Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your short break with us and what lovely comments you have left for us thank you:) I will be sure to pass these onto my team. The breaks we are doing at the moment are very good value for money especially with the drinks vouchers you mentioned. We look forward to seeing you again in the future and if you are able to stay longer, please feel free to contact us so that we can arrange for you to have a bath as well as a shower.
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2013

After many years of visiting the hotel it has always been a favourite and a special treat to stay at the hotel so we decided to spend my 65th birthday there, but after being served up a caterpillar in my wife's food we wanted to leave some feedback as we felt our complaint was not taken seriously at the time.

On a weekend break my wife on the first night at dinner found a caterpillar in the broccoli. We called the head waiter over who took the food away and apologised. The morning after I asked the manager if it had been reported and she responded with yes I think something had been mentioned. We have stayed there 4 times but will not be returning due to the lack of customer service received on this visit.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Sarah D
I am so sorry to see that you felt your complaint was not taken seriously at the time, especially as you have stayed here several times before. I can assure you that all complaints are dealt with the utmost importance and I apologise again that on this occasion you felt it hadn't been. Although you had said you wouldn't return to us it was lovely to see you on Friday when you arrived for a weekend break. I hope you enjoyed yourselves and that we will see you again soon.
Hull. England
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed in a superior room, room101, it was just above the entrance canopy to the hotel.
The room was enormous. It had 2 chairs and a table a good size flat screen TV. Lots of storage space and plenty of room to move about in. It was very well heated with 2 large radiators and an oil filled radiator as an extra if needed. We found the room very warm and even turned all the radiators off overnight. The bathroom had a shower over the bath and was very efficient. Everything was clean. Tea and coffee facilities were available in the room. There was no double glazing but it wasnt a problem with either noise or drafts. The room was pitch black overnight when the curtains were drawn, certainly very conducive to a good nights sleep.The only downside was the lighting for reading. The central lights and bedside light were LED and although very nice if not wanting to read were not bright enough to read with. A reading light would have made me give this hotel 5 stars.
The 3 course meal and coffee each night was very good as were the breakfasts. A help yourself cereal, yoghurts and grapefruit followed by a served cooked breakfast,toast and hot drinks. Nothing was too much trouble for the waiting staff bringing extra tea and toast when asked for or extra gravy for the evening meal.
The entertainment both nights was ok but nothing special.
We purchased a reserved parking space in the hotel grounds, it would be very necessary in summer when Scarborough is full of visitors.
All in all a very enjoyable 2 night stay we will be back.

Room Tip: Would recommend the superior rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank shazzy39
Thank you for taking the time to leave such lovely comments for us, I am glad to see you enjoyed your short break with us. The room you stayed in is one of the largest we have one of my favourites and a very popular one. I will be sure to pass your comments on to my staff they all work very hard they will be pleased read such nice comments. We hope to see you again soon.