“Hidden Gem”

Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Hinckley, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

11 of us went on a 5 day break with Shearings and were absolutely amazed at what a wonderful hotel we had booked in to. We have been to many Shearings hotels and this was simply the best.
The staff could not do enough to please you. One of our group has an eating problem and the chef went out of his way to blend her food and make it tasty. The building is elegant and very well maintained, the food was very well presented, perhaps the only problem was due to the extreme cold weather a couple of our rooms were chilly but the staff rectified that with an electric heater.
It is situated in a lovely position near to the cliff lift or you could just catch a bus nearby for the town. The excursions were also good and in fact the whole holiday was very good value for money. We will certainly return in the not too distant future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Heavywaite
ruth_janicki, General Manager at Bay New Southlands Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
What lovely comments you have left for us, thankyou. I will be sure to pass these on to all of my team, who will be delighted (especially chef) I am so glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us, and we would be so happy to see you all again if you decide to come back to Scarborough for another break.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Northamptonshire
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed here with 3 other family member for 2 nights (Sat-Mon) and we enjoyed our stay. We had a twin room and a double room and they placed in rooms next door to each other which was good. The rooms themselves were clean (except for some mould round the window frames) but so cold!! The windows are only single glazed and the radiator and tiny storage heater within our room were in a losing battle to heat our room and the blankets in the cupcoard were still not enough to keep us warm through the whole night- this was a problem in the bathroom as well, as there was a huge glazed window in the bathroom which let in so much coldness that I found I had to go next door to my family's room to use their shower as they had a bathroom without a window. There was a heated towel rail but that had a 2 hour timer and wouldn't heat up the bathroom much at all. The beds were also a tad on the uncomfortable side, but nothing major. The food in the hotel was lovely- on our first night there was the Gala Dinner which was nothing special but it did give us 4 free drinks each which was very good- probably saved about £10 each! The food portions were alright for me, but some people who like big portions would leave the table feeling unsatisfied. Our waiter, however was most helpful and made us smile the whole weekend. The breakfast is lovely- a selection of cereals and juices to begin that you get yourself, followed by a cooked breakfast.
Having a smart phone and laptop, it means that I like to have wifi in hotels I stay in. Here they have wifi (the cloud), however it only works in the lobby and television room in the lobby so I had to sit downstairs (albeit a very comfortable tv room with sofas etc) to use the wifi.
Finally, the location was good I feel, as it is close enough to walk into the main town and shops, yet far enough away to be quiet and calmer than the busy centre.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay here (even if I was a little chilly in the room!) and we found it a fantastic deal. We would probably return here in the future as it was a great base to explore Scarborough.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank JelliGirlSW
Thankyou for taking the time to leave us your feedback following your stay with us. I will be sure to pass on your comments to my team. I do apologise for the problems you had with the heating in your bedroom and bathroom. Unfortunatley as you noticed yourself having only single glazing does make a difference especially in the rooms that have the large windows, however we have had some of the coldest weather over the past few weeks which hasn't helped:( but I'm glad to see you still enjoyed your stay with us.The party weekends have proven to be really popular and they are exceptional value for money with the drinks vouchers included. Scarborough is a lovely town with so much to see and do and I hope that we will see you again soon.
Worksop, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2013

For what we paid for 1 night, we shouldn't grumble really so I'll start with the positives first. The receptionist was a very helpful, friendly lady. The public areas & restaurant were very clean & contemporary. The breakfast wasn't too bad (apart from the very overcooked hash browns) & the waiters were polite & helpful. The negatives... Room was very small, view awful, window frames were mouldy, the shower wasn't very powerful & there wasn't a duvet on the small, not very comfy bed. Instead a sheet & blanket?! A little old fashioned & could do with modernising although I do think because we paid so little for the night (including breakfast) & they did appear to be very busy, we had one of the very basic rooms. We were only there for the night, out most of the time so we were able to make do.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank ShazRog
Thankyou for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I'm pleased to see that on the whole you enjoyed your one night stay with us. We are continuously looking at ways to ensure that our guests enjoy their breaks with us, and I can assure you I will look into the issues you had. I hope this won't put you off staying with us again in the future if you decide to come to Scarborough for another break.
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Just got back 4 th Feb very good value food was fine David in Restaurant wore me out watching him and al the rest staff could.not fault staff room upgrade worth it plus some free drinks bit of way out of town but thats all..

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank arrowdlc
Thanks for the comments you have left for us. I'm glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again soon.
Huddersfield
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Our second visit to the New Southlands Hotel. Late booking on Shearings website for 3 nights Dinner, Bed & Breakfast including a Gala Dinner and 4 drink vouchers on the Saturday night. £74.00 per person. Excellent value.
Warm welcome on arrival, smallish room, but clean, warm and comfortable. View of the sea in the distance. Good size bathroom with shower over bath, soft & fluffy towels. An occasional deep clean of the tiles, grout and loo rim would not go amiss otherwise fine. Hotel would benefit from secondary glazing as windows are single glazed and very draughty. Good choice of food for dinner and breakfast. Well cooked and presented. Friendly and efficient restaurant, bar and reception staff. Entertainment very good. Singers who could sing well and entertain, and a good host/compare who could also play the guitar. On street parking permit available for £1.60 from reception. We would not hesitate to go back to this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DeeDeeHuddersfield
ruth_janicki, General Manager at Bay New Southlands Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
What lovely comments you have left for us, thankyou. The party weekend breaks we have been having since New Year are proving to very popular and everyone seems to be enjoying them, especially the Entertainment which is great. I will be sure to pass on your comments to my team as they are always so pleased to know when guests have enjoyed their stay. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

First time with Shearings but wont be the last. Real value for money, hotel, staff coach and driver excellent. Large warm bedroom room 118 but very cold bathroom (it was snowing and minus degrees outside). Lighting in bedroom not for applying make up. Food, though good, had been placed under a hot grill/plate where it either came out with a hard crust on it or congealed. Food & choice plentiful. Hotel 10 minute walk into shopping area of Scarborough. Entertainment on all evenings - very good all round entertainers & catered for all age groups. Would certainly recommend the hotel & Shearings 'Party Weekend'

Room Tip: To avoid been woken up by people walking/talking when passing your room ask for a room at the end o...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Linda A
Thankyou for taking the time to leave your comments after spending a weekend with us and I'm pleased to see you enjoyed your first experience travelling with Shearings. The snow has finally decided to leave us although for how long I'm not sure, although it does make for more breathtaking scenery out on the moors. I will be sure to pass your comments on to all my staff and discuss the couple of issues you have raised. We hope to see you again in the future either here or at another of our many hotels.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed 11/13 January and couldn't fault it. The standard room was very good with bath and shower, food was fine,staff very friendly and I parked across the road with a parking permit obtained from the hotel for £1.60 which covered the 3 days. Our intention was to walk the Cleveland Way down to Filey but parts of the path were so muddy we completed the walk mainly on side roads and returned by bus. We wouldn't hesitate to return to the hotel and we have difficulty in understanding why some of the reviews have been critical. I suspect that at times the reviews tell you more about the author then the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JANDVB
Iam so pleased to see you enjoyed your weekend break with us, thankyou for taking the time to leave us your comments. It's a shame that it was too wet for you to walk the whole way to Filely, although I'm sure you were able to enjoy the views as well from the road. We hope to see you again soon, perhaps when we get some drier weather, so you can enjoy the coastal walks even more.