Bay New Southlands Hotel
$199
Palm Court Hotel(Scarborough)
$152
$133
The Crown Spa Hotel(Scarborough)
$187
$122
Travelocity
Weston Hotel(Scarborough)
$122
All reviewsself driveshearings hotelsshearings breakdining roomsuperior roombuffet breakfastevening mealthe cliffturkey and tinselnational holidaysmonday to fridaythe hotel car parkmain townper daypublic areasenjoyable staythird floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Our second visit to the New Southlands Hotel. Late booking on Shearings website for 3 nights Dinner, Bed & Breakfast including a Gala Dinner and 4 drink vouchers on the Saturday night. £74.00 per person. Excellent value.
Warm welcome on arrival, smallish room, but clean, warm and comfortable. View of the sea in the distance. Good size bathroom with shower over bath, soft & fluffy towels. An occasional deep clean of the tiles, grout and loo rim would not go amiss otherwise fine. Hotel would benefit from secondary glazing as windows are single glazed and very draughty. Good choice of food for dinner and breakfast. Well cooked and presented. Friendly and efficient restaurant, bar and reception staff. Entertainment very good. Singers who could sing well and entertain, and a good host/compare who could also play the guitar. On street parking permit available for £1.60 from reception. We would not hesitate to go back to this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DeeDeeHuddersfield
ruth_janicki, General Manager at Bay New Southlands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

What lovely comments you have left for us, thankyou. The party weekend breaks we have been having since New Year are proving to very popular and everyone seems to be enjoying them, especially the Entertainment which is great. I will be sure to pass on your comments to my team as they are always so pleased to know when guests have enjoyed their stay. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

First time with Shearings but wont be the last. Real value for money, hotel, staff coach and driver excellent. Large warm bedroom room 118 but very cold bathroom (it was snowing and minus degrees outside). Lighting in bedroom not for applying make up. Food, though good, had been placed under a hot grill/plate where it either came out with a hard crust on it or congealed. Food & choice plentiful. Hotel 10 minute walk into shopping area of Scarborough. Entertainment on all evenings - very good all round entertainers & catered for all age groups. Would certainly recommend the hotel & Shearings 'Party Weekend'

Room Tip: To avoid been woken up by people walking/talking when passing your room ask for a room at the end of a corridor
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Linda A

Thankyou for taking the time to leave your comments after spending a weekend with us and I'm pleased to see you enjoyed your first experience travelling with Shearings. The snow has finally decided to leave us although for how long I'm not sure, although it does make for more breathtaking scenery out on the moors. I will be sure to pass your comments on to all my staff and discuss the couple of issues you have raised. We hope to see you again in the future either here or at another of our many hotels.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed 11/13 January and couldn't fault it. The standard room was very good with bath and shower, food was fine,staff very friendly and I parked across the road with a parking permit obtained from the hotel for £1.60 which covered the 3 days. Our intention was to walk the Cleveland Way down to Filey but parts of the path were so muddy we completed the walk mainly on side roads and returned by bus. We wouldn't hesitate to return to the hotel and we have difficulty in understanding why some of the reviews have been critical. I suspect that at times the reviews tell you more about the author then the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank JANDVB

Iam so pleased to see you enjoyed your weekend break with us, thankyou for taking the time to leave us your comments. It's a shame that it was too wet for you to walk the whole way to Filely, although I'm sure you were able to enjoy the views as well from the road. We hope to see you again soon, perhaps when we get some drier weather, so you can enjoy the coastal walks even more.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Just returned from a 'Party Weekend' coach holiday at the New Southlands with Sheerings. All in it was great value for money - and a most enjoyable stay. The staff at the hotel were accommodating & friendly - with a special mention for the restaurant staff & the chap on reception who was happy to store my freshly smoked Whitby Kipper in the fridge!

We didn't opt for the entertainment or the free day trip - but we did take up the four free drinks each on the Saturday (you can choose from most that are available in the bar including soft drinks at any time on Saturday). The room was clean - warm and the beds were great. The communal spaces were of a very good standard - retaining much of the period detail with a modern twist on decor - the oak panelled rooms & furnishings creating an air of luxury. The hotel is located in the grander & quieter part of Scarborough - yet easily accessible from the centre of the town.

This was my first time in Scarborough - and I have to say I was amazed at the grandeur of the place. It is a town with distinct areas & laid out on varying levels which all adds to the intrigue. No wonder the eccentric Sitwels loved it! It has some exceptional architectural gems if you go exploring - notably the Grand & Royal Hotel (the atrium in the Royal is breathtaking) - and some fine residential piles - both around the town & around the South Cliff area (which has been used in filming several times). I must mention the wonderfully restored Art Deco ODEON - now the Stephen Jones Theatre resplendent with original neon lighting & obelisk.

The town shops will cater for most everyones needs - and the shopper must pay a visit to the historic market hall and vaults beneath.

All in a great Holiday that I would heartily recommend at this time of the year - and helped of course if the weather is kind as it was to us :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank machineage
ruth_janicki, General Manager at Bay New Southlands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thankyou for taking the time to leave such lovely comments. I will be sure to pass them on to my staff. I am glad to see you enjoyed your first visit to Scarborough. We are so fortunate that as well as being on the beautiful East Coast we are surrounded by some lovely countryside as well as the North Yorshire Moors which at this time of year can offer some spectacular views depending on the weather. I hope you enjoyed your kippers, and myself and my team hope you will come back to visit us again soon.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

i have been using shearings for a good few years simply because of the price. in every hotel my wife and i stayed at the results were the same, bland under seasoned food, nearly warm veg and pathetic portion. but i must congratulate the chef here for absolutely amazing food. every was hot, tasted beautiful and fresh. the highlight for both my wife and i was a pork steak with peppercorn sauce. it was the chefs special and special it was. and finally on our last breakfast we walked in to a fabulous buffet with pastry and fruit salad ontop of everything else i just wish they offered that all the time. i think every other chef in the company work here for a day to see what chef here does so differently. thank chef for making our new year one to remember. when i next book here i will make sure the kitchen is still in the same hands.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank mrsnmrkent

Thankyou for the fantastic comments you have left, I will make sure my Head Chef and his team read them. It really does mean a lot to my staff when they receive such lovely comments as they do take pride in the the level of service we provide. We hope to see you again soon in the not too distant future.