“Good value pub grub”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Went for Sunday lunch; There was a good selection of vegetables (which for me was a bonus as I'm a veggie) although I wasn't sold on the battered parsnips, the full menu was also available so the others had the 16oz gammon, turkey roast and a childs lasagne. The amount of food you get for the price is extremely good value (I do understand when people say there's too much but I have a small appetite and opted for the small veggie lunch which was great). It is a good place for traditional pub food at a good price which is cooked to a good standard using decent local produce, if you are health conscious you may struggle with portion size and low fat options but if you're going out for a meal why not blow the diet for one meal?! I'm sure we'll return.

There are newer reviews for Foxhound Inn

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Hungry, on our way out of Filey and headed home to Leeds we popped into The Foxhound Inn for a quick bit to eat.
A large pub with all the trappings you might expect - pool table, various blinking machines promising riches and large screen televisions - it appeared to do what was expected. The menu had all of the usual fare so we chose from the extended range and had a game of pool.
Even at five o'clock on Saturday afternoon there was a healthy amount of people eating and there was a nice buzz around the place. The staff were all very friendly with smiles all round and the smiles continued when I had to go to the bar for a replacement drink for my partner which had barely been touched but taken away. I was given a replacement and my pint of exceptional Abbot Ale free of charge. This appeared to be such a minor issue it barely registered with them and was dealt with very well.
As we were out at the seaside I chose the Moby Dick haddock and chips with mushy peas and it was excellent. Two large pieces of very fresh, freshly battered Haddock and chunky chips, which although lacked any crispyness, the flavour of the potato was really nice. Peas were also full of flavour but unfortunately had the dull brown/green colour of something which had been sitting in a bain marie for too long.
The other meal was a humble jacket potato with coleslaw and cheese. A nice coleslaw was topped with cheese and salad on the side the potato served with it was, in our opinion, probably the best tasting, most floury potato we could ever remember tasting. It was stunning. My partner regards this as the best jacket potato meal she has ever eaten. Whether this was the product of clever product sourcing or not is not really important. Sourcing quality Haddock clearly is important to them as there is a sign with the fishermen and trawler details in the main room and its comforting to know the fish is wild, line caught local fish. The menu is so large I doubt very much this applies to much more of the menu but in the summer time I suppose fish and chips is the best seller - especially when you can opt for the "leviathan" Haddock which I was told was equivalent to three (!) fish and chips.
When you're out and about, hungry and want to relax for a while, The Foxhound Inn is what you want. Nothing more and nothing less.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

If you don't like food then don't go here, it is without doubt the most food I have seen on one plate in a long time.
We visited on a Friday evening and decided to sit in the beer garden, ideal as we had our dogs with us. The service was a bit slow but in fairness they were very busy. The head waitress came and apologised to us for the delay but believe me the wait was worth it.
My wife and Son (who had taken us to Yorkshire) ordered chilli chops and fish and chips respectively and I ordered a steak, When the food arrived there was enough to feed six people quite easily, and this did not detract from the quality, the three of us were amazed at how good it was. the manager came out to see that all was well with our meal and even managed to procure a sausage each for our dogs. Good quality coupled with good service at good value prices equals a quick return for more of the same. Thank you Foxhound inn for enjoyment personified.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

After nagging other half to take me here he recently gave in and I looked forward to my dinner. Arrived at fairly busy time so didn't expect rapid service ( wasn't disappointed!) my dinner turned up, chicken and bacon baguette and hand cut chips, nothing elaborate. Chips like roast spuds and more fat than meat on bacon also barely cooked despite me asking for we'll done. Served on a plate with cracks and chips (not the edible version) and the "table cloth" covered in the last persons dinner. Tried to eat it but couldn't. Just looked around saw others leaving for similar reasons so decided to pay and leave. Mentioned to staff about the poor meal to be asked "what do you want us to do about it" from start to finish this was a bad experience and such a change from previous visits. My advice would be use one of the many other pubs in the area because this place isn't the cheapest cleanest or friendliest around and like other reviewers am only be disappointed. Shame.

5  Thank Lucrue
m507bhp, Owner at Foxhound Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Dear Customer,
Firstly thankyou for taking the time to post a review of you're experience. From remembering you for a past visit, i expteced nothing less than you comments you have made. The past time you visited, you're comments i found offensive and thought that if you decided to return, i would expect nothing different than those you made.
With regards to you're comments about the bacon, bacon naturally has an outer layer of fat and some would argue that this is part of what makes bacon an element of a dish they enjoy. We don't go to any lenghts to seperate fat from the bacon and simply cook the chicken breast in a barbecue sauce wrapped in 2 full slices of unsmoked bacon so if there was too much fat for you're liking, the easy thing would be not to eat this part.
With regards to the chips, yes they are hand cut and as explained to you at the point of you raising you're issue, potatoes change with the season and at present as most suppliers would tell you, the new harvest of potatoes is now what is available and whilst we do nothing different in preparing the chips, cannot control how a potato behaves in a cooking process due to the season they are in.
The chipped plate issue i took the time to check on and will apologise that if this was the case. Im sure you would understand that given the choice of serving you you're meal on a plate unchipped, we would do the latter.
As previously mentioned in my response to you, this is not the first time our paths have crossed under these circumstances and quite frankly you're attitude when visitng us only appears negative and with the mentality that you wish to 'try it on for a free meal' wherever you go springs to mind. On that note, given that you have suggested to other travellers to avoid and take the time to travel further, please do the same as you're personal custom is no longer welcome.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We have just spent the weekend at the nearby campsite (Humble Bee Farm) and this was listed as the local close by pub on their information sheet. We actually had no intention of leaving the campsite, but decided at the last minute to pop out for lunch on Saturday.

On driving past, we weren't that keen, being as the beer garden area (where we prefer to eat when we are out with the kids, rather than inside - it was also a fabulous, sunny day!) was next to the busy car park with no view at all except the back of the pub :-( However, we decided to give it a try as we were all very hungry by then.

So glad we did! We found a table outside, and placed our food & drinks inside. We ordered:

Tuna sandwich with side portion of chips - sandwich was nice and fresh, lovely side salad with coleslaw and watermelon, chips were homemade chunky chips - quite possibly the best chips I've ever tasted!
Chicken fajitas - very tasty, large portion size
Cheeseburger & chips - double burger, good quality
Kids cheese pizza - I think this was one of those 'Chicago Town' microwave pizza, but our 5 year old enjoyed it all the same
Banoffee pie - lovely

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our lunch here and would recommend this place for food. The portions, as others have said, are very large so you'll need to come here very hungry! :-)