“Disappointing experience”

Il Piatto ristorante italiano
Ranked #60 of 376 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 30, 2009

We visited on a Wednesday night in October. The restaurant was busy but not packed, although seemed slightly lacking in staff. Those on duty were working hard throughout the evening.

After being promptly seated, we had a relatively short wait before being offered drinks. The wine list was good and value average.

Sadly we then had an extremely long wait until our order was taken. Even a pack of breadsticks couldn't help kill the time.

The soap starter was of high quality and very tasty.

The main reason for a poorer than average review was what followed. A genuine mistake in the main course order meant a further wait of 15-minutes, when too much time had already been allowed to pass. Only a brief apology was offered but drinks had run out, which coupled with the fact there was no table water made the experience very tedious.

When the main meals (chicken breast wrapped with cheese and parma ham) arrived, they were of top quality, again packed with flavour.

We decided to stay for desert, which was served in a slightly quicker time and was well presented.

The whole eating experience took two hours, which was far from ideal as we had to cut short other plans for the evening. This shouldn'd detract from the good quality food that was on offer.

1  Thank callcrookie

Reviewed September 10, 2009

We went because of word of mouth being good reviews, and as it was a special occasion for myself took my family and friends.. The starters were cold and overcooked and the main meals took over 2 hours to arrive. Only 2 staff were doing everything, only 2 other tables were in the same time as us, no aplogies were made and we've never been back since.

1  Thank aliYork
Reviewed September 2, 2009

We went to this restaurant because it was no. 2 in the Trip Advisor local list . We went early so that we could go to the theatre but didn't have the special offer , we ate a la carte.
None of the four dishes we had were very good , the service was slow and haphazard ; I was brought the wrong bottle of beer and it came back in a glass without the bottle . How subtle , it was of course the Peroni they had opened and not the Morretti I had ordered .
My wife's salad starter was OK but swimming in dressing , my Bresaola was so chilled as to be tasteless. My wife's fresh pasta with seafood had 6 pieces of pasta and a similar array of seafood . I had fish with risotto ; the fish was overcooked and served with boiled rice (no lovely risotto gooeyness).
On the plus side my wife's house red was good.
What a disappointment.

2  Thank DavenWendy
Reviewed August 17, 2009

Me and my husband have just got back from a weekend in scarborough and went to Da-claudio for our 1st wedding anniversary.I had booked on the internet after reading reviews and thought the food was excellent.We had a really good night staff were very friendly and food was good value.Next time we go to scarborough we will definitely book to go there again.

Reviewed August 6, 2009

We found this place recommended on tripadvisor and were really pleased. It looks unassuming from the outside, but inside it's light and spacious. The staff were lovely and friendly and the food was really, really good. They offer an early evening meal until 7, but we were too late for this. However, the food we had was delicious and very good value. It is imaginative cooking using proper Italian ingredients. Highly recommended.