“Brilliant yet again” 5 of 5 bubbles

Scarborough Travel and Holiday Lodge
Newcastle Upon Tyne
“Brilliant yet again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2010

I stayed here with my partner on our weekend in Scarborough. It was the second time we had stayed here and found it to be excellent yet again. The room we had was on top floor but easy to get to with the lift. The rooms are small but large enough for us both to use comfortably. The bed was comfortable and when we asked the staff for more pillows we were given them straight away. All the staff we met were very helpful and friendly and the hotel was very clean considering it was fully booked. Will certainly use again. The only downside was the noise from the other people staying, and that was to a minimum considering our room was above main entrance.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Huyton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2010

Have stayed here every week for the last 2-3 months ( mon - thurs) and find the accomodation clean, warm and comfortable. The staff are excellent and very helpful in all situations. I would highly recomend staying here. Thanks to all who have made our stay there so enjoyable!!

Mr Marc Dougherty.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Ashton-U-Lyne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2009

Very good location, basic accomodation is probably a bit flattering to the hotel but I suppose you get what you pay for. Each person we spoke to at reception etc.. was very friendly. Room was tiny but clean. The biggest problem for us was you could actually tell what people were saying in normal conversation in the adjacent rooms, you could hear your neighbours using the toilet and I don't mean the flushing and extractors (which were very loud), I mean actually 'using' the toilet. It didn't help that we had a couple arguing on one side of us from 02:30am until almost 05:00am, the hotel team did eventually arrive to have words with the occupants (after the neighbour on their other side had asked to be moved, which in fairness the hotel did) but probably 1 1/2 - 2hrs too late!! I understand this is a budget hotel but I would not stay again regardless of cost, if I can hear my neigbour having a wee, they can hear me and heaven knows what else!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2009

My family and I have stayed here several times and I felt I had to stick up for this place. This is one of the few hotels in Scarborough that allows you to pay per room per night. It is basic and if you are looking for five star accomodation then no, don't stay here however it is well priced and clean and a lot better than some of the hotels in Scarborough, believe me I lived here and my parents visited on a regular basis and this is one of the best places in the town. If you are staying in the motel part in the outside, usually for families then you are free to come and go, my family stayed there with very young children and never experienced any problems. My Mum stayed over and she hates travelling alone with kids but this hotel was safe and she had no problems at all. I stayed here with my husband twice. In all honesty, the first time was noisy as it was the Bank Holiday weekend and we were located right next to the reception desk and the drive way but the room was clean enough and we both slept well, so it wasn't that big a deal. My husband is a very light sleeper so if he didn't complain, it couldn't be THAT bad. The second time was in February and it was great, Very quiet, staff much friendlier as it was so quiet. Both times the room was clean, towels all ready, though possibly needed more but I always take my own anyway. The one thing I would say is not to bother with the breakfast. It's far too expensive for what you get and by taking a short walk into town you can find something better and more ecomomical. The location is wonderful, though you have to climb a bit to get into the town centre but to get to the front is just a five minute trek. Considering it's location, the way it's priced, this is not a bad hotel. If you want luxury then you have to pay for it and even then it's not THAT great in Scarborough!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2009

I'll start off with the positives. This hotel is in a good location, with free parking. The sheets and towels appeared clean, although we had a wait for the towels, and the proprietors were pleasant and welcoming. However, it's downhill from here on in. We were due to stay for two nights, but could only bear to stay for one night despite being refused a refund for the second. Not a very Christian attitude all things considered! We stayed in 2 double rooms the first night and then were moved to a family room for the second. The rooms are shabby to say the least and while the sheets were clean in this room, it was obvious that it had been sometime since the blankets and throws had seen a wash. Ugh! The bathroom again, reasonably clean considering, but dated with cobwebs and spiders thrown in for free. The carpet had not been vacuumed very well as it was apparent a dog had stayed in the room due to the evidence of dog hairs and the previous occupants grey hair. Yuk! TV only played Channel 4 properly, everything else was fuzzy, but we gritted our teeth and settled down for the night. However, paper thin walls made for a very noisy night. We didn't think things could get much worse, but this room was a palace compared to the scruffy family room we were given. The curtains in this room were gross. Greying with black mould along the bottom. An even more dated bathroom. Loose toilet seat. No hot water for the shower, although I think I would probably have felt grubbier after a shower in this bathroom what with the black mould again and shabby decor. The positive in this room was that the TV did work though! Beds were lumpy and again, bed linen left alot to be desired. Lumpy cheap duvets and grubby throws and blankets. When I pulled back the sheets, I found crumbs. I don't think they'd even bothered changing them, just remade the beds. Room felt very damp, I could feel my chest tightening the longer I stayed in the room, but along with the crumbs, the straw that broke the camels back was the level of noise from the other families staying there. We did complain and it was quiet until the proprietor left and then, bedlam again. We only put up with it the first night because we hoped it would be better the following day and also because our break was only 2 days in total, but it proved unbearable, so with the prospect of another sleep deprived night we packed up and drove home. We were tired, but with my skin beginning to crawl, the welcome of a hot shower and clean, comfortable bed proved too tempting. I would not stay here again even if I was paid to and certainly wouldn't recommend it, at least not to anyone I liked :) It's a shame because with a little money well spent and a bit of soundproofing, due to its location, this place could be a little gem, but at the moment it's more of a grubby unwashed rock. We can do basic accommodation, as long as things are clean, but this place was something else, plus they want £7.95 for a cooked breakfast. Save your money and take the 8 minute walk to the Brunswick centre in town and get one in Debenhams for £2.99. The website for this hotel shows pictures that are certainly not an accurate representation of my experience. Overall, this place is best avoided in my humble opinion.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank MrsJNottingham
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2009

The decor may be a little out of date, the walls thin and the rooms small. This is all true. Scarborough Travel and Holiday Lodge is not a luxury hotel and doesn’t pretend to be.
But if you’re looking for a cheap place to stay that is clean, in a great location (no more than 10m from beach/town/train station) then this is the place.
What really makes this place is the staff, particularly Manager Andy Baddley who is a top bloke. Having visited with a group of friends to do some fishing (most of us beginners), Andy seemed to know a little so we invited him along. He helped us on the trip, took our catch back to the hotel for us, and then prepared and cooked the whole lot for lunch on our return. Andy is a Chef, Tour Guide, Manager, and Fishing Coach all in one.
I tend to avoid food in guest houses, but Andy is a passionate and superb cook. Fresh ingredients; freshly cooked it is difficult to find fault. Don’t be put off by the restaurant decor, the food is worth it. The breakfast, too, is much better than in any of the larger, more expensive hotels I have stayed in.
The service provided by Andy and Hazel Baddley is what makes this place worth visiting, and any guests are sure to be well looked after. Perhaps it is fair to say that with out their commitment (and some extremely long hours), this visit could have been unremarkably average. But it wasn’t. It was an enjoyable visit and I will certainly return.
One last thing: far too much has been made of the religious matter. I did not realise this was an issue until I read these forums after my visit. As an atheist this would have made me feel uncomfortable. There is certainly no problem and don’t let these claims put you off chossing this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Durham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2009

My family & I stayed here for a couple of nights. If you are expecting 5* luxury then don't stay here. However, if you are looking for a basic, comfortable base then look no further. We stayed in the annex of the hotel where the corridors reminded me of university halls of residence. The room was of a similar layout to a travelodge in that it was basic, but clean and functionable. The double bed was smaller than those you find in a travelodge but the children got bunkbeds instead of a pull out sofa bed. The added advantage was that the bottom bunk was a double so great if you have three children. You pay extra for breakfast which was plentiful and fresh with a good choice. The hotel staff were very welcoming with the manager even helping us when our car had a flat battery. There was ample parking at the hotel and the location was good, with a 10 min walk down to the beach.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family