“kgb deal but not their best deal by a long way”

Scarborough Travel and Holiday Lodge
Reviewed October 10, 2012

arrived and was made welcome, however the original room was not big enough to take the cot bed that we had prebooked so it meant a move to the annex. a larger room it was too but sadly too many steps to climb. The evening meal was mediocre with tinned veg rather than fresh ones. Breakfast was ok with plenty of choice, we did not take advantage of the full english for an extra £5 a head. what was off putting was the fact that the hotel allowed guests to take dogs everywhere including the resturant and i assume the bedrooms. this should be stated on their website most promently due to people having health issues / allergies. The room whilst larger than our original one was in need of a good renovation.
although we enjoyed our visit to Scarborough we would not be returning to this particular hotel.

Room Tip: choose somewhere else !!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Helen D, Owner at Scarborough Travel and Holiday Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

I am sorry to hear that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay here with us and I would like to address some of your concerns. Firstly, I can assure you that we do not use tinned vegetables to accompany our evening meals and I am shocked to hear that you thought they were: the produce we use is as locally sourced as possible and we use fresh ingredients whenever possible.
Secondly, I am able to confirm that yes we do allow dogs here at the hotel. Dogs are allowed in the rooms with their owners and on their departure the rooms are fully serviced and bedding is changed in preparation for the next arrival. We are conscience of allergies and hygiene concerns that people may have, therefore the service that occurs when a dog has checked out is extremely vigorous and to an extremely high standard.
Additionally, dogs are not permitted in our restaurant area, however they are welcome to sit with their owners in the bar area.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights while working in Scarborough. Room was a bit small but adequate, clean & well presented. Shower was a bit cold :( Staff were very friendly & helpful. Meals were basic but generally good. We were able to have breakfast at 6.30am which was very helpful given that we were there for work & most places dont serve breakfast until later. Good location for the sea front but unfortunately there was not time to enjoy the delights of Scarborough - maybe next time!!

Room Tip: make sure you dont get the pink room!!!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Just back from our 2nd stay at STHL. Check out my first review when stayed in a themed room (Room 2,Moulin Rouge Theme). This break was booked as we were sent an email offer from STHL and booked immediatley. Our room this time was on the 1st floor (Room 14) which was directley above Room 2 (Moulin Rouge Theme). Yes they are basic rooms, but who stays in all day when on even a short break.
And yes the sink was in the main sleeping area (no problem with that). The room its self was clean and tidy. It was not a big deal about lack of wardrode as the hanger space did the job of storing our clothes.
As for the staff I will say all were extremely help full. When I requested 2 extra pillows, brought them straight away, now thats what I call service (Thank you Basia). Staff reception Joanne and Rebecca were great hosts, always willing to help and have chats with us. Night porter Peter was a friendly person gave us refills of tea bags and hot chocolate to use.
Even when we asked for taxi numbers reception booked one for us (more Great Service).
Will be returning again,again,again,etc,etc,etc.

Room Tip: Don't be put off by bad reviews.
3  Thank Bagpuss4540
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Scarborough Travel and Holiday Lodge is a fantastic place to stay in Scarborough, I had a very enjoyable 4 Night stay with my two Daughters at the end of August 2012. The staff were very helpful and friendly, nothing was too much for them. They made our stay very pleasant anf very welcoming. The facilities were excellent we stayed in a family room which consisted of a double bed, bunkbeds with a double at the bottom and we had our own bathroom which was lovely. the room was very spacious and clean, had tea and coffee making facilities, a tv and space to hang up our clothes. They have a lovely restaurant on site (The Funny Onion) food is excellent value and very tasty indeed! The Lodge is a short walk (5 mins) to the beach and (10 mins) to the town centre. I cannot reccomend the Scarborough Travel and Holiday Lodge enough to anyone. We will certainly be returning in the very near future.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Shirley F
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Just enjoyed a 2 night stay with a Groupon deal and it couldn't have been better value for money, great room, good breakfast and evening meal. Staff were very welcoming. All round good couple of days. Would highly recommend.

2  Thank luckymeCleveland
Reviewed September 14, 2012

we booked at short notice and found the staff friendly and choice of food excellent for the price we did not expect the ritz so we will be back and with our dog, also was happy by being to park the car,

4  Thank Barry D
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Booking via Groupon, I booked a 2 night stay for £69, (the real value supposedly being £185.90) to include continental breakfast and 2 course meal on 1 night. There was an option to upgrade to a SUPERIOR room for £15 a night and upgraded cooked breakfast for £5 per person.I opted for the room upgrade and 1 breakfast upgrade (as my wife only has toast and coffee).
On arrival, the exterior of the building looked "tired" to say the least and inside, the reception,bar and dining area were all competing for space.
The receptionist (lady with short hair and glasses) was extremely friendly and polite and gave us lots of information on things to do and told us not to hesitate to ask if there was anything that she could do to help.
Our room was on the ground floof of the main building and when I opened the door, I couldn,t believe how cramped it was,especially as a cleverly taken picture of it was on display in the entrance. 2 people could not pass one another to walk around the bed, instead of a wardrobe there was a hanging rail less than 12 inches long and anyone who is clostrophobic would not use the en suite shower room. The windows were single glazed and traffic noise disturbed us in the night. In the morning, the windows were dripping with condensation and the windows really needed to be left open all day to try and air the room. Problem with that was Management would not accept any responsibility for loss of personal belongings so being a ground floor room with easy acces via the window, we left it closed. The room was quite cold but on our second afternoon, the heating was turned on for a while. I have to say the room was nice and clean and I could live with the style of decor for 2 nights. I did raise the question regarding a Superior room upgrade but was assured that is what we had been allocated. I have no idea what a standard room was be like so i cannot comment.All I can say that if a standard room was smaller than what we had,I would not have stayed. I do not believe that I had any value for money by paying for an upgrade and feel it was a way of recouping some of the original discounted cost. Again, (apart from the pillock who burnt some toast at 6.25 am and set the fire alarm off), the staff were very friendly and helpfull and, for me and my wife, they saved the trip from being a total disappointment.
Charles & Caroline Glover