“Kathryn”
Review of The Crescent Hotel

The Crescent Hotel
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We have just returned home from yet another lovely weekend at The Crescent Hotel. As usual staff,service,food and room perfect! Our 7 and 5 year old children love it here. Here's to many more visits. Look forward to visiting again soon.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kathryn S
There are newer reviews for The Crescent Hotel

Reviewed February 9, 2013

At the Crescent for the umpteenth time, as ever every thing perfect, room, staff, service, food. If you don't have an executive room have room 14 views on both sides, loving our stay as always. We prefer Scarborough in winter.

Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Alangs
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This hotel in my opinion is fantastic.just returned after 2 nights stay and was heartbroken to leave.we booked the belvoir room(pronounced beaver ???? )paid 180 pounds which for us is pushing the boat out but it was money well spent.from arrival to departure the staff were attentive,but not to the point of intrusion which in my opinion is exactly how it should be.rooms were spotless,housekeeping daily,food excellent.public areas were perfect,the bar had a quiet area to sit and read ,I was especially impressed by the strange contraption that turned Guinness from a can into a pint that was as good as any I've had in sligo or mayo.honestly there's no risk booking here,it's great and we will return asap.
A

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed for one night for a long weekend and we chose this hotel mainly because of its number 1 ranking on Tripadvisor. We were certainly not disappointed - we paid £65 for a double room with breakfast - excellent value for money! The breakfast menu was varied and was cooked to order - beautifully cooked and very tasty! Our double room, although small was nicely decorated and we had a sea view. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very pleasant lady who was informative and helpful. The member of staff on duty at breakfast time was again friendly and attentive. Parking is on-street at a cost of £4 for a permit from the hotel - make sure you display this immediately as we did see traffic wardens on patrol when we arrived and that was a Sunday evening! Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable stay and we would certainly stop here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chris-and-Liz-B
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The Crescent is my hotel of choice when I visit Scarborough and I've stayed in most of them and some are dire. As someone who spends a significant amount of time on the road so to speak I've stopped in many hotels from extrmely good to very poor. This hotel sits at the top of my favourites list.

The accomodation is first class, clean and the rooms are spacious and comfortable. The bed linen is top quality and the bathrooms have plenty of room. Unlike many higher rated hotels the showers deliver hot water in an instant and provide a good head of water.

Breakfast is the pefect start to the day and, if you can fit it in, dinner in the restaurant is excellent and I thoroughly recommned you try it. If you can't accomodate dinner then you will be more tan welcome to eat in the bar where the menu is whatever you'd like from the menu or, if they can accomodate it, anything else. Personally I really enjoy scampi and chips or a round of sandwiches whilst reading my kindle or chatting to Paul who often tends the bar.

If you want first class, good value accomodation coupled with firendly staff for whom nothing is too much trouble then I recommend this hotel.

Paul and Lindsay do a fantastic job and regularly improve the facilities as they are able. My only complaint is that as someone who has to watch their weight my resolve crumbles due to the culinary delights on offer.

So long as I visit scarbororugh this will be my hotel of choice.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Having read so many positive reviews about this hotel I was really looking forward to my two night stay. First and foremost the staff are extremely friendly and helpful, however when we arrived in our room on the top floor, the first thing we noticed on opening the door was an overpowering smell of BO which is not the most welcoming smell in the world. However we went out shopping and left the windows open and fortunately the smell had gone by the time we came back. Even though it was December, the room was extremely hot but luckily it was quiet outside so we slept with the windows open. Unfortunately going up and down the stairs, there was a peculiar smell, something I can only describe as the odour of old people with bladder problems and as I have elderly parents its a smell I am only too familiar with when visiting them. We didn't eat in the restaurant so cannot comment on the meals but the breakfasts were very good although I cannot understand why everything was cooked in butter. On the plus side, we were able to park outside the hotel for free.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Vicki G
TheCrescentHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Crescent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you for your comments and let me assure you that everyone at The Crescent Hotel is disappointed that you did not enjoy stay. It is very much appreciated that you acknowledge the staff were friendly and helpful however, disappointing that you did not take advantage of their approachability to mention your concerns.
I feel compelled to respond to keep the record accurate and while I understand that your comments relate to your opinion of what you experienced, several stated points are not factually accurate.
From the picture you paint, one would expect to find an old people's home with lots of folks walking around who are incontinent. That is simply not the case. We have a very good mixture of adults who visit us which include many young professionals who stay during the weekdays and attend their business duties during the day in local companies.
The smell that was evident in the stairwell was chemicals that had been recently used by our contracted carpet cleaners. These chemicals can smell quite strong and do linger in stairwells and hallways. However, they do dissipate eventually.
On the point of the BO smell in the room; this is not a normal thing and has never been reported before. The room was serviced by our housekeepers before your arrival. However, a quick call to the Reception desk would have had the problem resolved very quickly and we would have moved you to another room.
Further, you assert that "everything is cooked in butter". This is another assumption that could have been corrected if only you had discussed the matter with our staff. We do not cook any breakfast item in butter. Butter is an expensive item to cook everything in and also burns relatively quickly; therefore, we do not use it. Most of the breakfast items are cooked under the grill or in the oven and require no additional oil/butter for cooking. The only items that receive any cooking oil are the deep-fried hash browns or our fried eggs.
Additionally, each room has radiators that can adjust heat to the comfort of each guest or simply be turned off.
Our objective is always to make your stay with us enjoyable. Unfortunately, we are unable to rectify issues that are not brought to our attention while the guest is still with us.

Lindsay Cooney
Director

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Very comfortable hotel in the centre of the town. Owners always on hand and very friendly, as are the rest of the staff. Excellent breakfasts, as are the restaurant meals if required. Lovely bar area with lounge.

Room Tip: Choose a suite.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple