“superb little gem of a hotel”
Review of Red Lea Hotel

Red Lea Hotel
Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We booked a one night need a get a way break, on arrival at hotel we were met with such helpful ,kind courteous staff, and it wasn't just them all staff within the hotel had the same jolly helpful manner. Food in the hotel, evening dinner and breakfast was a high standard and enjoyed by both of us, in fact after check out we returned and had morning coffees. Room 315 had excellent sea views and was newly decorated to a good standard. Would I rec this hotel 10 out of 10 yes we will return. x

Room Tip: 315 was excellent, 3rd floor sea view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gomersal

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Stayed here with a large group of elderly people. Very welcoming and friendly staff. Rooms need upgrading further as varied in facilities and practicalities. Food plentiful but uninspiring. You get what you pay for. Location excellent, close to Spa complex and view from sea view rooms very nice. Nice garden boulevard at the front, and terraced gardens lovely. Quiet area, except for the seagulls.

Room Tip: Sea view room is a must
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank mon725
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Just arrived back from the Red Lea, with a group of 39 clients from our community centre. A fab time was had by all, the owner Sara and her sister Jane were most welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. The rest of the hotel staff were just as kind and helpful. I would recommend the hotel the cleanliness of the rooms to the wonderful food. Once again a big thank you to every one at the Red Lea

Room Tip: Sea view are best
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank tinaperry
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Just had easter break at Red Lea Hotel it was very clean, we had sea view room very nice, staff very friendly and food very good, it is a well run hotel and would definately recommend and hopefully we will return in the near future.

Room Tip: We had sea view room it was very nice.
3  Thank Karen C
Reviewed April 20, 2014

After a difficult six months my wife and I decided to have a night away to celebrate our tenth anniversary. We chose the Red Lea due to the good reviews and we were not to be disappointed.
I had arranged with them to have a celebration package as a surprise for my wife.

When we arrived we were welcomed by a very friendly reception. On entering our room we realised they had upgraded us to one of their front second floor rooms overlooking well tended public parks and the sea beyond. The sun was shining and the view was wonderful. The celebration package of flowers, fruit, chocolates and champagne on ice was sitting waiting for us on the dressing table.
It was all too much for my wife who was so happy the tears began to flow!

We took afternoon tea which we enjoyed in the spacious lounge. Again it came with a smiling, cheerful member of staff. That evening we decided to stay in the hotel and have dinner. Then we took our drinks into their comfortable drawing room. What an amazing, totally relaxing day.

In the morning we came down to breakfast. The Full Yorkshire was delicous but what caught my attention was being asked if we wanted cereal. We have stayed in five star establishments where you are "invited" to help yourself from a side table. However not at the Red Lea. Our waiter actually went to the cereals and fruit juices and brought our choice to the table. A small point perhaps but a good example of the hotels excellent service.

We would like to thank the Red Lea very much and we will certainly be back in the future. We have been lucky to have travelled round the World and have stayed in lovely hotels in cities such as Hong Kong, Sydney, Cook Islands and San Francisco. Scarborough's Red Lea is now without doubt one of our favourites due to its marvelous service.

Room Tip: Pay the little extra for the front rooms. You wont be disappointed.
2  Thank Frankie_Johnie
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Rooms were lovely, clean and comfortable we had a very nice breakfast and the staff were friendly and helpful I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Scarborough.Very close to the sea front and they give you a free permit for parking

Room Tip: It's in a quiet location and very near the sea front
1  Thank Stephanie5918
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Was booked in here through work so wasn't sure what to expect. Very friendly staff, great food and what I can only describe as a comfortable atmosphere.

I was a bit dissapointed that the restraunt closed at 7:30pm but after explaining that I would be coming in from work after that time they then took my order for the following evening and it wasn't an issue.

My room was great, if a tad on the small side, however a colleague I was working with had a huge room. Luck of the draw I guess. I would stay here again, but not if I was paying myself. The £90 per night was a bit excessive for a 3* hotel, especially when I had to park about 300 yards up the street.

Overall, yes it's a good hotel with great service and food but a little bit on the pricey side.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business