“Look in your bed”

Ranked #24 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Worcester
“Look in your bed”
Reviewed October 18, 2009

After my arrival at the hotel, I registered and went to my bedroom. I noticed the loo didn't look clean although the loo paper was nicely triangled so decided to check the bed. On drawing back the sheets noticed they had been slept in. They refused me a change of room but did change the sheets and clean the loo. Must say that for the next two nights I wasuneasy about walking on the carpet!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank WorcesterOlga

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
England
Reviewed October 6, 2009

My partner and I stayed at the hotel to celebrate our two year wedding anniversary. We stayed in a Premier room which was spacious and had great sea views. The pool was lovely and warm and we found the hotel very clean. The breakfast was delicious and the staff were really friendly. Can't wait to go back.

1 Thank coco024
easbyw
Reviewed September 25, 2009

we were kept awake till 1am one night and 3am another by a party of lady? victuallers who were allowed to bring their own booze into hotel..
We left a day early with our visit spoilt.The night porter was unhelpful when we complained.The room we had was adequate but shower was
lukewarm and mirrror light and a spotlight did not work and wre not sorted after complaint.Room did not reflect quality shown on internet
and hotels advert.Advise checking whether a large party is booked in
if you do book.If at hotel and have problem ask for Charlotte.This polite
and efficient young lady offered us a room change(but we delined and
left) and gave us a discount commensurate with problems we encountered.

2 Thank easbyw
AmbassadorOpsManager, Operations Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2009
Thank you for posting your review of the Ambassador Hotel on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by other guests on 2 nights of your stay and that the maintenance issues raised were not attended to.

I would also like to thank you for recognising the manner in which my colleague dealt with your problem and am sorry that it was too late to rectify the matter.

Thank you once again.

Travelers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Wokingham
Reviewed September 25, 2009

Nice location and looked good from the outside and also the website. We had a so call prestige sea view room. The room furniture was old and scratched. The carpet was old and dirty. The bed was cheap with a nasty uncomfortable mattress. The bathroom was tiny with just enough room for one person. Mould in the white sealant. And an old smelly stained carpet in the bathroom. No colour coronation in the room. You can do better for the price.

1 Thank John_Gallantree
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor, I am sorry that your accomodation did not meet your expectations.

We do have an ongoing refurbishment program and the room which you occupied is due for completion later this year. We have several classifications of room, the room type you occupied was a Diplomat Sea View Room, we do not use the term 'prestige' so I am unsure where this reference has come from.

Once again, I do apologise that your stay was below the standard expected.
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Upon booking we paid the full going rate for this room, (not discounted) and asked for a spacious first floor room with a sea view. We were subsequently given an extremely small lower ground floor room with the view of a wall / bank. It appears that there was a coach trip in at the time and they appeared to have been given the best rooms first. I could understand this if we were staying for one night however we were staying for 3 nights and had no doubt paid more than the coach trip customers. Again at mealtimes they were given the best tables and appeared to receive priority service. I would not advise visiting this hotel unless with a coach party!

4 Thank Tim-Suzanne S
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. As always we have read your comments with interest.

I am sorry that we were not able to meet your accommodation request, we do endeavour to meet any special requirements however this is not always possible. Rooms will be allocated dependant upon availability at the time of booking, unfortunately in this instance it appears that your reservation was made online, around 14 hours prior to arrival at which time the hotel was already very full.

The hotel offers several rates and packages, our online rate is generally the lowest and is available exclusively through our own website, this rate is substantially lower than our tariff rate and appears to be the rate upon which you booked.
Luton
Reviewed September 11, 2009

The staff were polite, but not friendly (they acknowledged my presence, but without a flicker of a smile or friendliness). In the dining room when I asked where to sit for breakfast, I was shown to a table, then asked for my name and room number, whereas everyone else was simply served without interrogation. I heard someone else ask about the arrangements and she was asked for her room number too – like they are suspicious of anyone who asks questions.
The room was fine – clean and tidy – but a few things let it down, such as the curtains that weren’t fixed at the ends (which made it tricky drawing them closed) and the bathroom door handle was secured with only two screws. Also, it would have been nice to have had decaf. coffee and tea in the room (luckily I took my own).
There are far more positives than negatives, but it wouldn’t take much effort to remove the few negatives.
The hotel is situated on a nice quite road overlooking the sea, which was a beautiful site. Parking was a little tight when I arrived mid-afternoon, but there were plenty of spaces by evening.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank TeaSlurper
AmbassadorOpsManager, Operations Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2009
Thank you for posting your thoughts on Trip Advisor, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay on the whole and would like to thank you for highlighting some down falls, which as you mention are easily rectifiable.

I am sorry that you found the staff unfriendly, we are usually complimented upon their friendly manner and so I was disappointed to read that this same attitude was not apparent upon your visit. It is normal practice for the staff to request a name and room number upon greeting a guest a the restaurant, this is for a number of reasons, primarily so that we can monitor the number of people who have eaten and ensure that a plentiful supply of food is available. We are fortunate to have a large number of repeat guests and as such I can only assume that other diners were known to the staff on duty and were recorded without the formality of taking their details.

I am sorry that there were some maintenance issues in your room and was surprised that you were not provided with tea or decaffeinated coffee which should be in all rooms in time for arrival. Had these matters been reported I can assure you that we would have rectified them immediately.

Thank you once again for the feedback, I can assure you that we will take any neccesary corrective action regarding the faults that you raised and I am confident that you will see an improvement on your next visit.
lancashire
Reviewed September 10, 2009

Arrived at Scarborough approx 1 pm and went to the Ambassor Hotel to book infor a two night stay and ask for a parking permit. The receptionist advised me the room would not be ready until 3pm. The room was costing £119.00 per night bed and breakfast with a sea view.
We went back to the hotel at 5.10pm and was given the key for room 116. We booked two evening meals for £21.95 each.
When we went into the room it had not been cleaned from the previous occupants. I rang reception and the receptionist came up wearing yellow rubber gloves and a cloth 'to wipe round the bathroom'. I pointed out the key card left by previous customers, the rubbish, the towels on bathroom floor and behind the room door; soap was stuck to the bath and a used glasse in the sink. Worse still the bed had been covered up with dirty/soiled sheets and pillowcases under the bedspread!!!

The receptionist then brought a cleaner who said she was not responsible for not cleaning the room earlier and agreed the room had not been cleaned. I said I was not happy that I had waited for the room to be cleaned and asked if there was a manager.

A man knocked on the door 5 mins later, I asked if he was the manager and he informed me that he was the duty manager (but didnt give his name). I thanked him for coming up so quickly but explained I was not happy with the room. He stood inside by the door and just kept on shrugging his shoulders and lifting his arms up saying 'well there's nothing I can do about that'!!! I asked him who was over the cleaners and he said the person over housekeeping was off that day, and that each cleaner was responsible for themselves. I said surely that if a room was not cleaned then as duty manager the responsibility lay with himself. He shrugged his shoulders again saying as before saying 'well what can I do about that' I said the least he could have done was introduced himself when he came into the room and apologise. He just stood and said nothing. I repeated that I was looking for an apology at the very least rather than just keep seeing him shrugging his shoulders. He shrugged his shoulders - again- and said he was sorry but he couldnt do anything about the problem but he would speak to the cleaner tomorrow. I asked him to look round the room and examine the bed himself, He refused and told me he had no need to to that, so I said I wanted him to see himself what a mess it was. He walked over to the bed and said he had had enough of this and 'he didnt need this or have to put up with me complaining any longer' and walked toward the door. I said I wasnt going to stay in a dirty room and he went out saying 'whatever' then shut the door on me.!!!

Needless to say we did not stay any longer and left the hotel.

3 Thank 123bubbs
Having written to you personally after the problems which occured after booking into the Ambassador I am quite disappointed that rather than contact me to discuss the matter you have chosen to vent your anger in your review.

I am truly sorry that your room was incorrectly prepared for arrival, this should never have happened and is an absolute first to my knowledge in all my time at the Ambassador. I make no excuses for failing to have the room serviced and have offered the reasons that it occured in the letter sent to you immediately after your departure from the hotel.

Standard check in time at the Ambassador is 3pm as is stated on all confirmations, by this time all Housekeeping duties should be complete, once again I sincerely apologise that your room was incorrectly prepared.

As soon as the matter of the bathroom cleanliness being below standard was reported my colleague attended the room ready to make things right, it was at this point which it became apparent that the whole accomodation was incorrectly cleaned and as such she contacted a member of the housekeeping team whose duties were in another area of the hotel.

As far as I am concerned, 3 members of the hotel team (myself included) have apologised unreservedly for the error and we tried to make amends. We offered to clean the room correctly and we offered complimentary refreshments while this was carried out. Our offer was flatly declined and my colleague was informed that you did not wish to stay at the hotel but would like a manager to attend the room. At this stage, having declined all possible solutions there was little more that we were able to offer.

While I agree that finding your room unready for your arrival is unacceptable, all of our team have been trained in customer service and are advised that if a guest becomes aggressive towards them and makes a personal attack (in this case verbally) towards them that they should walk away from the situation and contact a senior member of the team. I appreciate that the situation was most upsetting for you, however the Manager on Duty acted (in my opinion) in the correct manner given the aggression shown towards him; regardless of the circumstances we have a duty to protect all of our employees from any form of abuse.

As soon as the Duty Manager left your room he contacted me, however before I could speak with you personally you had already departed, hence the letter sent to you immediately.

I feel that your account of the events is somewhat inaccurate, particularly in relation to my colleagues' handling of your complaint and for this reason alone I have requested that it be removed from Trip Advisor.

Once again, I offer my full apologies that the room was incorrectly prepared, the necessary actions have been taken to prevent this from happening again.