“GREAT stay at THE ambassador spa hotel”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Just returned home from a 3nt stay at this hotel . Booked a sea-view room AND what a view all across the bay ! PLUS POINTS Room lovely food great , given free parking disc to park in the streets near hotel , staff very friendly , rooms kept clean , good curtesy tray plenty tea,coffee, biscuits , outside seating in the garden . MINUS points NONE . Look forward to the next stay .

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,285)

Reviewed April 22, 2014

The location of the hotel is good, away from the amusements and more touristy attractions and I think it is relying on its "Spa" status too much. We didn't make use of the spa facilites but there were plenty of people that did, so I assume that must be ok.

We stayed in a double room "with sea view". It did have a sea view if you stood at the window and looked out, however my interpretation of sea view is that the sea should be able to be seen while at least sitting down even if while lying in bed is a bit too optimistic! Our first impression was that the room was absolutely tiny. On further inspection it was grubby (the wall by the waste bin where others had thrown their tea bags was stained with tea drips!), had poorly finished decor and the bathroom was awful. Not exactly dirty, but considering the hotel blurb says that all the bathrooms are Boutique (even if the rooms are not), we were very dissapointed to say the least. The paintwork was chipped around the door frame and there was a piece of laminate worktop glued to the shelf above the cistern with three bottles of toiletries, a shower cap and two plastic cups wrapped in plastic. This was not appealing, neither was the unfinished chipboard backing in the under sink cupboard. The electric shower was very powerful which was the saving grace.

We had tried to book one of the better rooms but had been told that this was the last room available so decided to book it on the strength of reviews and the hotel website.

Obviously only the best rooms are photographed for the website and we are fully aware of this, however there was nothing about our room that was special - not even a flat screen t.v. which is unbelievable these days, especially in such a poky room. I feel that if they are letting this room (311) then they should make their guests aware that it is definitely not a Boutique room.

Room Tip: Don't accept room 311 unless you are happy with a small room
2  Thank AnnStorr
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

I strongly recommend this hotel. The staff are friendly and go out of their way to be helpful. We found the hotel by chance and have been back 3 times with our young family. The sea view is out of this world. The spa facilities are excellent (great pool and treatments are relaxing) and it is lovely to relax in the bar.

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I have just recently returned from Scarborough staying at the Ambassador hotel. This is my second time there i cannot fault it. The staff are very friendly and couldnt do more if they tried. The room i stayed in was 210 it is a large room with a king size bed in and twin beds that can be made into double. There was myself daughter and grandaughter. On arrival there was a bottle of wine awaiting in the room chilled i might add. A very nice touch . The breakfast is a buffet one which is lovely. I cannot recommend this hotel enough and will be returning . Oh 1 big plus is the Spa.Overall very pleasant stay. This was just for 1 night Good Friday.

Room Tip: My tip go for room 210 gorgeous with beautiful views over Scarborough & he sea. Its a must.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2014

booked in for an overnight stay, made use of the pool, which was nice, sauna, and had a massage which was very good. the room was okay, small and compact, but as I travelled alone this was fine. it did have a shower, if I had known I would have looked for a room with a bath, as I do prefer a bath - i'll remember next time. very pleasant staff. nice bar meal, reasonably priced. overall a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We stayed at the Ambassador Spa last weekend for one night in room 109. The hotel is in a decent location, it is a short walk to the main areas of Scarborough. Parking is available outside the hotel on the main road, and you get a disc to allow you to park for a certain time period (unlimited in the evening, 3 hours in peak).

The staff at the hotel were pleasant, and I generally found the hotel to be clean and tidy. We also had no issues sleeping, the bed was comfortable and we experienced no noise from other rooms.

Alas we had a few gripes though would would affect returning:

1. The window for our room was facing a brick wall, not optimal for a seaside resort.
2. The bathroom fittings were of poor quality, old shower, poor grouting, browning on the underneath of the toilet seat (I should note it was clean though, just dated).
3. The TV was the old CRT style from the 90s, you don't see many of those anymore
4. Breakfast was not included with the room, and they charge an outrageous £15 pounds for breakfast separately. It's £3.50 - £5 average in Scarborough for a decent full English!
5. The tea making facilities were cheap, Typhoo tea and plain digestives / custard creams, you usually get much nicer than that in Hotels I've found.

We didn't try the pool / Spa so I can't comment on those, maybe they make more of an effort there. With the room, they do unfortunately seem to cut a few corners in terms of quality in places, which would be easily remedied. I've certainly experienced nicer hotels for around the price I paid.

Room Tip: As I mentioned, our window faced a wall, maybe the more expensive rooms have sea views and I would e...
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Polite and professional service. Wonderful swimming pool with great sauna and hot showers. We had a delicious supper and huge breakfast. 2 huge bedrooms both with 2 king size beds. £40 off our evening meal all for £99. Brilliant. Sarah was especially good in the restaurant. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed: April 2014