“Kitchen needs some attention”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed September 7, 2008

My parents stayed here for 2 weeks and my wife and I joined them for their final night. Overall my parents enjoyed their time here - - not least because they had what must be one of the best sea view rooms in Scarborough . Pleasant attentitve staff are another point in the hotel's favour.

Their main gripe was the quality of the food - and certainly on the night we joined them this left a lot to be desired. I won't rehearse the whole experience, just a few of the problem areas: For an appetiser I had what was billed as 'mussels in a white wine and cream sauce'. I am fairly certain The 'chef' just plonked the pre cooked mussels onto some Campbells condensed soup (you've been rumbled!). This had clearly been done quite a few hours before and then warmed in the microwave, leaving a film on the 'sauce' (paid a a £2.00 supplement for this!). This is a joke becuase it is so cheap to do this dish properly, basing it on a 'proper' fish stock. The potatoes that accompanied the mains were like bullets - some sort of roast type thing, but rock hard. They had probably again been pre cooked many hours before, left to stand and re heated. I honestly can't believe how any self respecting chef/'waiter would allow this rubbish to leave the kitchen - the most cursory visual inspection would have spotted the problem with the 'spuds'. My mother's salmon was similarly hard and tough, again the early prep' reheat trick going amiss.

Breakfast is the dreaded buffet - but not too bad as these things go

LIke many three star hotels the place needs some investment and looks a touch tired in places - but I can excuse this. It must be hard to make a living at the British seaside. I can't excuse basic catering errors.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
AmbassadorOpsManager, Operations Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2008

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments here on trip advisor. As always we read all feedback with interest and with a view to making improvements in our methods and practices.

Firstly may I thank you for your kind feedback regarding the staff, it is always welcome to hear that the team have provided a pleasant and accomodating experience.

Secondly may I apologise that the meal on the final night of your parents 2 week stay was not up to standard. I was disappointed to read your review of the Chef's Mussels in white wine & cream sauce, and while I do welcome all genuine criticism I feel that I must set the record straight in relation to the preparation of this dish.

The Mussels are cooked only when each order reaches the kitchen with the sauce prepared fresh for each dish, and I can assure you that it is not based on a tinned soup but on fish stock, cream and white wine.

As always I must stress how highly we value your comments, as without it we cannot accurately assess our performance.

I would like to thank you again for your feedback, however I would politely request you to review your comment regarding the chef having 'been rumbled'. Although I am sure it is meant in good humour, it is perhaps somewhat unfair given that the preparation methods are not as suggested.

Finally, I am pleased that the majority of your family's experience at the Ambassador was a positive one and do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed August 17, 2008

I do not know what happened this used to be a nice hotel but it has decended into somewhere you would see on holidays from hell we will not be returning ever!!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank unhappy90
AmbassadorOpsManager, Operations Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2008

I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your experience at the Ambassador Hotel, however it would be very useful if you could offer some specifics about what we got wrong so that we can rectify any issues.

Guest feedback is one of the most important measures of our performance and I would welcome any compliments and criticisms.

If you would like to contact me directly to offer further details it would be most appreciated.

Reviewed August 5, 2008

Had a 3 night bed and breakfast break this is a 3 star hotel that gives you a 5 star servis in all departments . the rooms are excelent with great views from the cliff top overlooking southshore and town center (worth the extra for sea view ) located near the beech lift so someone like me with artheritas had no problems in taking advantage of the many attractions availible nearby the starff are very friendley and always helpfull in trying to make your stay as happy as possible without doubt the best hotel we have stayed in so far

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I would particularly like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Ambassador in the near future.

Reviewed August 5, 2008

The hotel staff were very helpful and friendly. At dinner they seemed a little rushed off their feet but still maintained their professional manner, dealing promptly with our requests. The evening entertainment was very good indeed - it must take something special for the artiste to work with a small audience but, with his combination of singing, comedy and magic, Steve Brailsford managed that. We had just come back from a cruise and this entertainment was comparable.
Only one night in the hotel but the superb location on the Esplanade and the helpful staff made for a most enjoyable weekend. We will definitely be back. In the meantime, I do hope the somewhat inefficient lift improves! We were with my elderly mother and she was not too happy with it.

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Check in / front desk

Thank you for your positive comments (I have passed them on to Steve Brailsford as well!). Thankfully the lift is now running fine so this should not pose any problems next time.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Ambassador in the not too distant future.

Reviewed August 4, 2008

Found this hotel over priced. Service and quality of the food very bad had to wait for 30 mins before getting a coffee in the morning also had to ask six times for toast and by the time it came breakfast was either gone or cold.Eight of us had to eat seperately as they brought out wrong starters.the meal on Sunday night £15 was left by all who had beef (just like eating rubber)not to mention the so called yorkshire puddings that the knife would'nt cut through sorry but there must be better hotels out there and twice as cheap

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank jeffMexborough

I am sorry that your experience at the Ambassador was not a good one, I would like to thank you for your feedback and I can assure you that we have taken action to rectify the faults with service in the Restaurant.

With regards to our rates, I do believe that they are competitive, are set in line with comparable hotels the area and do offer good value for money.

Should you choose to return to the Ambassador then I am confident that you will see improvements in the areas in which you have offered criticism.

Reviewed August 1, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times now and we are now planning to return again.

The staff are excellent - very friendly and helpful. Nothing is too much trouble! We stayed for 2 nights with 2 adults and 3 young children. The room we had exceeded our expectations. (Double with separate kids area containing 2 sets of bunks). It is often difficult to find accommodation for a family of 5 so this spacious room was perfect.

The hot and cold buffet breakfast was great with plenty of choice and helpful staff to serve hot drinks.

It may be a little dated in decor but everywhere was clean and the staff were efficient and very accommodating, meeting all our requests promptly.

I would recommend it mainly for young families and retired couples/groups.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Thank you for taking the time to post your encouraging feedback. I am glad that you have chosen to return to the Ambassador on several occasions and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

With regard to the decor we are looking to continue our ongoing refurbishments later in the year and throughout 2009.

Thanks again!

Reviewed July 28, 2008

We arranged a long weekend stay on the spur of the moment. We are frequent visitors to Scarborough and unfortunately our usual haunts were fully booked.The site of the hotel on the Esplanade was OK but does mean a long walk into town if you want to get to the theatre or the various central restaurants.

I had wanted to book a sea view room but that was only available for 1 night. Reception was very helpful and said that if the room became free for the rest of the stay then they would inform us. True to their word we kept the room for the weekend.
'You won't be disappointed with this room' she kept telling us. It was a lovely large room with views over Scarorough South Bay from the town to the headland, this was the best bit. Although newly painted and very clean, the furnishings had seen better days, very 80's beige and brown. The bed was distinctly saggy and lumpy! The bed cover smelled of stale hair and needed laudering. A decent sized bathroom, but they could have gone the extra and fitted a separate shower instead of a central shower head with curtain.

Staff at breakfast were friendly, but I couldn't get my head around the 'fitted kitchen' bit in the restaurant. Very offputting. Very standard buffet breakfast fayre offered, with canned and not fresh fruit available.

We paid £130 per night for B&B at The Ambassador. Having stayed at the Waldorf Hilton in the West End of London just 2 weeks ago for £140 B&B per night - all I can say is - no comparison!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Thank you for your honest feedback, it is always important to us to hear our guests opinions so that we can prioritise what matters most to you.

As you have acknowledged we have recently invested in the decor of the bedrooms and the next phase in our ongoing refurbishment will include furnishings as well.

I would also like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff and cleanliness of the hotel and do hope to welcome you back to the Ambassador in the future.