“Dissapointing”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Stayed here last march, so impressed that booked 2 nights 7th & 8th Feb this year...How standards have dropped! First off the room, 109..as soon as we opened the door , the smell of damp overwhelmed us!! Doesnt management check the standards? I went straight to reception where I was given a different room straightaway. That room was warm and comfortable & good decor, unfortunatly, the bathroom does not match the quality of the room. Had specifically booked this hotel for the spa facilities so was very annoyed to find a notice on the sauna door stating it was broken and that the temperature of the pool was way too cool. It is February & freeezing outside, Doesnt management check the standards? Asked at reception about sauna & was told it had only just broke & they were waiting for a part! I looked on Trip Advisor & it was obvious the sauna had been out of action for about a week!! Also said they would check temperature of water but it stayed the same. As part of this deal we had an evening meal included. Had a choice of about 3 items. Had soup ..way too thick and salty, Followed by steak and ale pie... we were presented with a plate full of tinned meat with a portion of puff pastry in the middle..was disgusting. What a shame that management have let the standards of this hotel drop so dramatically, ......

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,285)

Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

First off, there is ample parking for this hotel! From the hotel up, you can park for free, we got parked outside the front door which made it easy.

We got checked in, although had a delay getting our key due to a problem with the door lock. Staff brought us a cuppa in the lovely bar area to put us on, much appreciated.

First floor room was very warm and cosy. Lots of space and a nice comfy double bed, nice bathroom with big bath & shower.

The view was incredible, straight out to the sea, Scarborough also clearly visible to the left, got some nice photos.

About a mile walk from the harbour, although mostly downhill, close enough to the town centre / train station to walk to and from but tiring up that hill!

Didn't have time to check out the spa facilities or Zen garden, shame as they both looked impressive.

Didn't manage to sample the food but restaurant looked lovely.

All in all, 4/5, would've been a 5 but location not best for walking, and the issue with the door key not being ready. Would recommend and come again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Stayed here recently on a weekend break with my fiance.

The spa is very limited and is actually only a small pool and a small sauna, all very nice and clean though. The relaxation room was good and very good service from the staff.

Our room had a sea view which is a lovely view and didn't tire of looking at it.

The main thing that let this hotel down was the food on the evening, the quality wasn't very good and was a little bland to say the least ( I had Salmon my fiance had the steak).

All the staff throughout the hotel were excellent and very helpful and the breakfast was amazing!

I would stay again but doubt I would eat in the restaurant in the evening.

Room Tip: Got to be a sea view!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I researched this hotel, as I always do, on TripAdvisor. I chose for this reason.
The room was quite small, and although had been recently decorated it was a little tired. When we actually got to bed I noticed that it was actually 2 single beds pushed together, but what made it worse was the levels of the beds were different heights. It was too late to get a room change. Then the shower was either scolding hot, or freezing cold. The old mixer taps need to updated.
Breakfast was nice, things were nice and fresh, if not the best quality.
Then we went to the spa, which I thought would be the best part of the hotel. At the start they had run out of robes. Then the sauna was broken. The spa hasn't got great facilities, and is quite small. The relaxation room is OK, however through out I didn't see a water cooler. There are 2 small cubicles to get changed in, and the changing room is so hot it was impossible to get dry, and small. This spa is obviously a recent addition, but needs more work.
I have been to many spa hotels, and I would certainly not recommend this one.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JPHBradford
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Our groupon spa visit was reasonable value for money, but if we had paid full price I would have been dreadfully disappointed.
I would like to say nice things about the hotel spa as the staff were nice (if rushed off their feet) but it was not brilliant. Changing area is far too small and go very crowded when there were 6 people waiting for the two cubicles. The sauna wasn't working, and the 'zen garden' was not mentioned in our intro when we arrived so we assume it was closed/out of order too.
The mud rasul was fun but the room is very dark and for some reason there are no hooks or shelves in the dry area so we had to leave our slippers towels and robes outside in the corridor and run out in bathing costumes to get them.
The swimming pool is very small with strange pink neon lights (not at all relaxing and spa like) The foot spas are just two bowls on the floor that you can fill up with water. There were only 4 seats by the pool, all occupied so we couldn't sit there. No magazines or newspapers or anything to read by the pool (rack empty).
Relaxation room was nice, although a real fire would have been better than a picture of one.
Again not much to read - just a handful of dog eared magazines.
We enjoyed it, but would have liked a better guide to the facilities as we feel we must have missed something. There are lots of little things that could be done to make it so much nicer.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We found this hotel after we decided not to stay at the Grand. The staff were absolutely marvellous. We were given a warm welcome and a complimentary upgrade. The room was clean and comfortable. We were also given directions to several restaurants as, by the time we arrived, the kitchen had closed. I would say don't eat at the Mexican restaurant down the road. The service was appalling. The following morning I had received a call to say my burglar alarm at home had gone off. Once more the staff were fantastic. They let me use the hotel computer to sort things out. The hotel is also flexible on checkout, offering you a range of options though this might be different in the summer. All in all we had a a lovely stay. Thank you to all the staff. Note to the owners and management: pay them what they deserve!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gary d
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Stayed here on Friday with a friend for a little spa break as a treat for her birthday. We paid £79 for bed, breakfast & evening meal which is a great price and we booked spa treatments separately. From the outside the hotel looks quite nice and has a great spot on the seafront in the quiet side of Scarborough. The lady on reception was very welcoming and she provided us with a parking permit to allow us to park on the street. The room although small was very cold but otherwise was ok however a little tired especially the bathroom and the view was disappointing as it was onto buildings but we did not go to stay in our room! Included in the price was a bottle of Prosecco, in an ice bucket left in the room. Very nice touch! We went for lunch in the pleasant bar and my friend had the Thai fish cakes which were spongy and unpleasant whilst I had the pate which consisted of two very small slices and came with one of those 'par-baked, bake yourself' rolls and no butter. There was just enough pate to cover the roll however at £7 it seemed a tad expensive and not at all special. We both agreed that the salad that accompanied lunch was nice. We chose not to complain as we had gone there to chill! Dinner in the evening which was included in the price was a set menu of four choices for starter & main. We both went for the chicken and bacon salad which was a large mound of chunks of cold chicken & bits of bacon smothered in mayonnaise (like a sandwich filling) - plentiful but a bit tasteless however salad nice again. We did not fancy any of the main choices so instead chose off the main menu at an extra charge and both went for the lamb shank. This was cooked perfectly, served with mash and almost raw veg. The lamb was very nice but again the meal was just not special. We had two cocktails with dinner which were special! Staying with the food, the buffet breakfast was very good and plentiful. Overall although the food was below average, we would have been more than happy to pay the price we paid for just b&b!

Now to the Spa. The pool is lovely and there is a relaxation room where you can chill - we could also have had lunch in there - wish we had known! We had booked four treatments, however they kindly squeezed my friend in for an eyebrow tidy even though they were very busy. We had our first treatments in the same room together but it was a very pleasant room and the beauticians were really lovely girls. I had a facial which was very nice and my friend went for the slim treatment. One of the beauticians had collared my friend earlier saying that her treatment should be taken as a course (no mention of this on Spa menu description) and when we arrived she asked her if she was going ahead with it. She had booked an hour treatment so said yes. She felt like the beautician was not familiar with the process of the treatment and was almost winging it! The description mentioned a massage which never happened and my friend was very very disappointed. Both our treatments were supposed to last an hour however as they were running behind we went in 10mins late and finished at least 5mins early!! I paid £45 for my treatment & my friend £55 so not exactly value for money however must reiterate that I did enjoy my treatment. We had an appointment later in the day - me for an evening make-up and my friend for an hour pedicure. We had a call to say that the appointment had been moved as running late which was ok although we were surprised as our treatments had been cut short earlier. Again I had no complaints and the beautician gave me some good tips. This time we were again together but in a tiny room which was more than a little crowded. The beautician said to my friend that because of the messing around with appointment times she would only charge her £20 instead of £35 which we thought was very generous however the appointment then only lasted half an hour if that. There was no foot spa, just straight on to removing dead skin, a quick massage and then painting nails. When she had finished she said she would knock some more off the price as not full time. This was good of her, however my friend booked an hour's pedicure and was more than prepared to pay for it! It was obvious that they had more bookings than they could deal with and we felt we suffered for that.

Overall the hotel rooms were comfortable but tired - money had been spent on the public areas though and the deal for the hotel was a very good price but the food apart from breakfast was very disappointing. The Spa was also disappointing and expensive for what was offered even if we had had our full quota! Won't be returning which us a shame as the staff were great!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends