“Friendly and accommodating”

Ranked #24 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Friendly and accommodating”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times now and we are now planning to return again.

The staff are excellent - very friendly and helpful. Nothing is too much trouble! We stayed for 2 nights with 2 adults and 3 young children. The room we had exceeded our expectations. (Double with separate kids area containing 2 sets of bunks). It is often difficult to find accommodation for a family of 5 so this spacious room was perfect.

The hot and cold buffet breakfast was great with plenty of choice and helpful staff to serve hot drinks.

It may be a little dated in decor but everywhere was clean and the staff were efficient and very accommodating, meeting all our requests promptly.

I would recommend it mainly for young families and retired couples/groups.

• Liked — Friendly staff and guests
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
AmbassadorOpsManager, Operations Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to post your encouraging feedback. I am glad that you have chosen to return to the Ambassador on several occasions and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

With regard to the decor we are looking to continue our ongoing refurbishments later in the year and throughout 2009.

Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Cadiz, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2008

We arranged a long weekend stay on the spur of the moment. We are frequent visitors to Scarborough and unfortunately our usual haunts were fully booked.The site of the hotel on the Esplanade was OK but does mean a long walk into town if you want to get to the theatre or the various central restaurants.

I had wanted to book a sea view room but that was only available for 1 night. Reception was very helpful and said that if the room became free for the rest of the stay then they would inform us. True to their word we kept the room for the weekend.
'You won't be disappointed with this room' she kept telling us. It was a lovely large room with views over Scarorough South Bay from the town to the headland, this was the best bit. Although newly painted and very clean, the furnishings had seen better days, very 80's beige and brown. The bed was distinctly saggy and lumpy! The bed cover smelled of stale hair and needed laudering. A decent sized bathroom, but they could have gone the extra and fitted a separate shower instead of a central shower head with curtain.

Staff at breakfast were friendly, but I couldn't get my head around the 'fitted kitchen' bit in the restaurant. Very offputting. Very standard buffet breakfast fayre offered, with canned and not fresh fruit available.

We paid £130 per night for B&B at The Ambassador. Having stayed at the Waldorf Hilton in the West End of London just 2 weeks ago for £140 B&B per night - all I can say is - no comparison!

• Liked — the views of Scarborough and the Bay
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Thank you for your honest feedback, it is always important to us to hear our guests opinions so that we can prioritise what matters most to you.

As you have acknowledged we have recently invested in the decor of the bedrooms and the next phase in our ongoing refurbishment will include furnishings as well.

I would also like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff and cleanliness of the hotel and do hope to welcome you back to the Ambassador in the future.
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2008

I've just read the other reports about the Ambassador and they are all spot on! I stayed at the hotel for the first time last year with both of my elderly parents who chose the Ambassador. I was actually expecting something average, since this type of hotel isn't really my usual choice.

However, I was totally impressed with the staff, the food and the great service. The staff were a young bunch and would do anything to please the guests and nothing was too much trouble. The food was excellent indeed and we stayed on a BB and Dinner basis, I have to say that I was always looking forward to the well cooked and presented evening dinners. Great choice and couldn't fault any of it - even though I am a foodie and very particular about what I eat.

The only downside for me was that my single room could be said to be a little on the small side, but that was outweighed by the benefits. My parents had a super sea view room and the both thoroughly enjoyed their 5 day stay and we said that the next time we were visiting North Yorkshire we would return.

This month we have booked to stay in the Ambassador once again and I am looking forward to being there and relaxing in the pool, taking it easy and having some more excellent meals. Not forgetting some friendly banter with the staff of course!

• Liked — the food!
  • Disliked — smallish single room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ramsbottom, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2008

We stayed one night in this hotel, the initial impression was not good as the receptionist was busy elsewhere and only spent the minimum amount of time checking us in. The room was acceptable, clean with a small television, the shower was slow but hot and the bed was two singles pushed together, its also a fair walk to the town centre, the address is somewhat misleading "Middle of the Esplanade" implies close to the town!
The next day we had breakfast, it was the standard pre cooked buffet type affair, but what really shone through was the staff, very friendly, easily understood and polite, So overall, its not a 4* city centre hotel, but it is fit for purpose and I would return.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)