“Room for improvement”

Ranked #24 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
York, United Kingdom
“Room for improvement”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed for 1 night at the Ambassador, the hotel is in a good location with a fantastic view over the bay. The room was very small and basic (we stayed in one of the new rooms) not very much space for the 2 of us - double bed, wardrobe, tv, drawers.

The spa area was not very big but it was peaceful with a small pool, jacuzzi, sauna and a couple of chairs. The treatment rooms were upstairs so you had to walk through the hotel in your dressing gown and slippers in front of other guests to get the treatment. The beautician however was very nice and the treatment I had was excellent.

Receptionist was friendly as were the bar/breakfast staff but all very slow, there is a lot of room for improvement from a customer service element. This hotel has a lot of potential its just missing that extra something.

Room Tip: Ask for a new room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last week with my partner to celebrate my 28th birthday. We went their via a groupon deal which was a very good price, I now see that the hotel has its own very good offers too so I think we might stay again in the future.

When we arrived at the hotel the exterior looked impressive and you could see that effort had been made. Inside was beautiful, so modern and stylish but not OTT. It felt very warm and welcoming, the bar had a range of different seating to suit all but it also made it look more appealing.
The service in this hotel was impeccable, you never waited long for anything, drinks were brought to your table and in 1 room (relaxation room) you could even ring a bell for a waitress to come and take your orders!
Breakfast had a really good selection, my partner and I felt that quality did go down as we came to the weekend and the hotel got busier but this was more around smaller potions (tea/coffee) and the tableware was not of the same quality.
The spa was lovely, on the small side but there was plenty to do. I'd not want to go there at a peak time though as you would be queuing for the sauna. Please please turn the pool/jacuzzi temperature up too - I never used this because it was cool and I do like to swim and especially enjoy a hot jacuzzi. Loved the rainfall showers, foot spa and mud rasul treatment.
The relaxation room was amazing, one of the best rooms that I have ever been in. After my mud rasul treatment I sat in there and I really did reach a relaxed state, something I do not think I ever have done before. Just beautiful!
We didn't use the zen garden, there was thick snow during our stay so it didn't appeal. Probably is nice on a cold winters day just not that cold.
Our room was very nice, I would have liked a sea view but beggars can't be choosers. The bathroom was (as said in other reviews) old fashioned but I have no complaints; it was clean, everything worked and we had hot water.

My only criticisms of this hotel would be:
Double/king beds were 2 singles pushed together. My mattress was terrible (I didn't sleep well during my stay) it needed replacing due to big body shaped dints! Room 201.
Restaurant menu - not available until 5pm. Not really acceptable and I don't see any reason why that can't be available first thing everyday. Surely they have a rough idea of what they are going to be cooking the night, maybe even week before? The menu choices were very very limited too but the bar menu was good in case you couldn't find anything on the restaurant menu.

All in all a very nice hotel where I had a lovely relaxing birthday and would stay there again. Thank you for a nice break away from it all :)

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

My party booked for the week end on line due to the great deal on offer..... and we were not disappointed! The chap on reception was very welcoming & chatty,as we had travelled through the snow to get there. We started off being fussy by asking if our 2 rooms could be near one another, to which we were given 4 room keys & told to choose which we wanted. We settled on 308 & 309. Both very lovely, clean spacious rooms. We did have a little hiccup with the heating in room 308 which was resolved quickly. Again the chap on the front desk very courteous, nothing too much trouble & job done with a smile.

Bed very comfy & warm. Bathrooms clean, hot brisk showers, soft clean towels.

We had bed, breakfast & evening meal. All meals were very nice, quick service & again nothing too much trouble.

Extra bonus of the spa & relax room. If I had to be picky.... the pool was a little bit cold (but we soon warmed up in the sauna), the window in 308 is a bit drafty and someone had eaten a meal in the relaxation room & it smelt of vinegar & chips.

But overal, a total bargain of a week end & can't wait to return!

1 Thank martin s
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Pleasant Hotel, courteous staff nice food though a little overpriced as were the drinks.
Very clean everywhere a very nice room although a tad small for a double bedroom, but all in all I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Maybe ask what size the rooms are, ours was on the small side
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank steve s
Sunderland, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have recently returned from this hotel, having read some of the previous reviews I was a little dubious.we had a wonderful time! the room was clean and in order when we arived... the bathroom was dated as mentioned in previous reviews however how long do you spend in the bathroom when your away!! it was clean and functioning thats all that mattered!. we did have an issue with hot water however we contacted reception and they advised due to limited people in the hotel we would need to run the tap for 10 minutes till it heats up ... worked fine after that! we loved the spa and the mud rasul is a must. there is a small sauna, pool and showers and the hot tub is actually in the pool. it was very quiet while we where there so we had the place to ourselves. the beauty therapist was wonderful and very professional. we booked in our evening meal ( included with the package) and we were the only two in the resturant on the first evening, although we had to eat from a set menu we enjoyed it all the same! on the second night we ate from the normal menu and the food was delious. I wanted a cocktail from the menu I had spotted in the relaxation room, it wasnt on the normal menu however after a quick chat with the waitor he sorted this for us. we had a lovely time here and wouldnt hesitate to return. the staff were super friendly and nothing was a bother for them. a very relaxing break!!

Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I booked this online because of the offer that was presented, I had been to Scarborough for a day trip but not a break. I had intended to see the sights and travel on public transport to Robin Hood Bay, Whitby, Filey, York to name just a few but due to the adverse weather SNOW!! I was not able. The hotel had many amenities as a Spa but not for me!! It is situated only a brief walk from town, a pleasant walk following the coast path overlooking the bay nice when sunny.I only had bed, had to pay for my meals. I could of walked to the town for them as I had intended but a bit cold. Not much choice & expensive

Room Tip: I would of been content with my room if a fault had not developed with the flushing cistern on my fi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed here on New Year's Eve for the gala dinner, which was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, with good food and an excellent atmosphere. The hotel itself was very comfortable, with a great bar and extremely helpful, friendly staff. The only thing that left something to be desired was the swimming pool, which was a little too small, but you can't have everything!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family