“Terrible stay, would not stay again!”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My fiancee and i booked this hotel for our 10 year anniversary, for a nice relaxing time away from the hustle and bustle of city life.

Upon arrival, we found our room to be bitterly cold, radiators not working, and were unimpressed with the outdated grubby, industrial grey decor throughout the room with a bathroom that wouldn't have been out of place in the 1970's. The radiator also did not work in the bathroom, and there was a suspicious looking puddle of rusty water by the bath.

Upon contacting reception re: the radiator situation, we were coldly advised that 'someone would be up to look at this.' A few minutes later a flustered greying woman appeared, caressing the pipes desperately feeling for signs of warmth. She eventually gave up the ghost,
rambling about a maintanence man who 'may be on site if she can catch him within the next few minutes.'

Ten minutes passed, she returned with a rasp knock at the door, oil filled radiator in hand, a look of disdain on her face.

After a few moments spent fumbling for a socket, she plugged the radiator by the window whilst myself and my fiancee were shivering on the bed, our noses streaming from the cold.

The oil filled radiator was a little lack luster in warming the room, feeling a little put out, we decided to let off some steam (oh the irony from being so cold!) in the spa area.

After the ordeal of the brisk winter chill in the room, we were pleasantly surprised that the spa facilities were more than adequate. After spending 30 minutes in the sauna to 'warm our cockles,' we headed to reception to book our 10 year anniversary meal for the following night in the hotel's restaurant.

We were advised that we had to book our table prior to 7pm as a private function was being held that night. We booked a table for 6pm and were looking forward to a nice romantic meal gazing out at the oceanic views of Scarborough.

After a lovely day of strolling along the water front, we arrived promptly at 6pm, ordered a bottle of wine in anticipation of our romantic meal.

I asked the waitress where about we would be sitting in the restaurant that was beautifully set up for the evening, candles on tables, lights dimmed and all the finery set out, we were abruptly pointed in the direction of the bar and told that the restaurant was reserved for a private function and that we must eat in the bar area. We were bitterly disappointed as we were expecting to celebrate our anniversary in the beautiful setting of the restaurant rather than the grubby setting of the bar next to the distasteful electric fireplace.

We spoke to the restaurant manager and explained that we were originally advised that we were able to book a table in the restaurant up until 7pm due to the private function, and at no point were advised otherwise (we would have happily chosen another restaurant if we knew this would be the case as we would not have wished to celebrate such a special occasion in a bar setting). After explaining this to the manager, he shrugged his shoulders and said the food is only being served in the bar and that it 'wasn't his fault.' At no point did he apologise which left a sour taste in our mouths.

Feeling dejected and somewhat 'second rate' we decided to make the best out of a bad situation and try to enjoy ourselves in the bar area. We drank our wine and waited for our order to be taken. We explained our situation to the young waiter who was empathetic towards our plight and said he would 'speak to the manager to see what he could do.' He then returned and said he could offer us a bottle of sparkling wine as some kind of 'compensation.'

We agreed to this as we had already purchased a bottle of wine so would be unable to drive to another restaurant and was conscious of the fact that we may have needed to book a table in advance if we were to go elsewhere.

Our food was brought out 30 minutes later, by which time guests from the private function started to arrive. As we began to dine, we were surrounded by people standing around our table, talking loudly and drinking right next to us as we tried our best to enjoy our anniversary meal. Needless to say, this spoilt any hopes we had of making this meal romantic as we were sharing our evening in a bar with a group of undesirables making a ruckus. One drunken yob even left his empty beer glass on our table as we were finishing our meal!

It's an experience we would never repeat and ruined our anniversary, turning a moment that should have felt special, into a moment that felt cheap and blasé.

We were not offered any form of compensation (other than the wine that could not replace the moment lost). We would certainly never recommend this hotel who under-value their guests in place of 'private parties.'

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CraigPayne
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Thank for taking the time to review your stay at the Ambassador Spa Hotel, I am sorry that your experience fell below expectations.
I do apologise for the lack of heat in your room and that this matter was not resolved to your satisfaction. I am of course very disappointed that you found the room to be uncomfortably cold and can assure you that we have had heating engineers look into resolving this problem. I think it would be remiss of me if I were not to mention that I find your comments about my colleague who attended your room somewhat irrelevant to the problem and potentially offensive; to describe someone whose only action was to attempt to resolve the problem as 'greying' has no bearing on the matter and is, in my opinion, rather ageist.
I would also like to apologise that your dining experience was not to the expected standard. We pride ourselves on the quality of our menus and service and I do apologise that a table was not available in our Restaurant on the evening that you stayed. For the benefit of readers who have not previously stayed at the Ambassador I would like to mention that the Bar and Restaurant are open plan and open onto one another, I can assure you that it was in good faith that my colleague offered a table in the bar area.
I am also sorry that you felt that your evening was spoilt further by other guests in the hotel, however I again feel it would be remiss not to mention that describing strangers as 'undesirables' and 'drunken yobs' is also unfair to those individuals who, like yourself, had come to the hotel to celebrate an occasion. There were several parties attending the function on the evening that you stayed, two groups employees of reputable companies and two families with members of all ages.
I truly am very sorry that your experience fell below the standard expected and would have welcomed the opportunity to discuss this matter with you either during your stay or afterwards. It disappoints me that you have not contacted me directly to resolve your complaint; having spoken to my colleagues who dealt with your complaints during your stay, they felt that the matters had been resolved to your satisfaction and so they had not been escalated to me.
I hope that you will accept my apologies for your dissappointment and for any upset caused.

There are newer reviews for Ambassador Hotel

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed here for 1night as part of a coach trip holiday to York. Room was spacious and tidy with the usual tea facilities and new tv and nice finishing touches such as cushion and bed throw

Meal was perfectly adequate if served a bit late for coach party at 8.30pm. Breakfast was nice and good variety,

View across the esplanade is lovely and near all of the beach facilities useful in the summer. Al in all for a coach holiday stop over a nice and pleasant surprise

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank startrek44
Reviewed November 30, 2012

The hotel is trying hard with a reasonably sized pool for a hotel plus the spa with sauna and jacuzzi. We also tried the mud treatment. You put the different muds on yourself and it's automatic from then on first with steam then a rain shower to wash everything off. It's in a private room so, like me, you can strip off if you want. You can also pop back out into the private changing room if the steam gets a bit much and step back in again.

Our room was lower ground: small but nice enough. Some updating will maybe soon be needed but otherwise fine for a couple of nights. Breakfast is buffet style and truly excellent quality. I paid to upgrade from continental to full English but I needn't have done as there's no system to check who's having what - I guess 'continental' is something that's there if you really want it. We met friends for dinner so didn't eat in the hotel.

Parking is on street, but it's far enough from the centre to be quiet and absolutely safe. One side is unrestricted free parking, the other is either disc or 2 day voucher which the hotel supplies for free.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed here for a 3 night weekend break from 9th to 11 November this year(2012). This was the second year in a row that we have been at this hotel and we have enjoyed it very much both times. The staff are very helpful and friendly, the food is excellent and service very good. Our rooms the first year were cheaper, being on the inside, with windows opening onto an inside service area which wasn't great, however the room was clean, smart and comfortable. This year we paid a bit extra for sea views and on arrival, they upgraded us from a small double to a wonderful large family room with bay window and stunning views of the bay! Some other hotels in the area with sea views do seem a bit less expensive, but this hotel is very close to the beach and an easy and very attractive walk along the seafront areas into the town. Views from the restaurant and lounge are lovely and they do have a swimming pool which all residents can use and sauna and spa which can be paid for. We would definitely go again, and would recommend it, if you don't mind paying a little more for good food and great sea views.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, take a room with a sea view, since the views from this hotel, being high up on...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lynette O
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We spent 5 nights at this hotel and I would be happy to return, or to recommend it to frends.

I have a gluten free diet and the staff went out of their way to ensure that I had something to eat and I was very impressed that they had a stock of gluten free bread and buns.

A good location, helpful staff , a very comfortable bed and a room with a great sea view.

Room Tip: The siew view is excellent.
1  Thank aberdeen207
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed here for a 2 day break. We had a Great room with a sea view and the room was big and the decor was really classy. The food was great and probably too much and the service we could not fault. Enjoyed the swimming pool, jaccuzi and the sauna etc. this was a plus point. This hotel we will definately go back to and the same room. Could not fault the staff 100%. Had a Great 2 days.

Room Tip: Have a look at rooms if possible before booking.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here for a 2night weekend break, booked at the last moment & although it had been recommended by friends we don't usually stay 3*, but we were very pleasantly surprised. The hotel has seen better days & general decor in corridors, stairways, reception etc was rather shabby. However our room was ok and the bed was clean & comfortable, although it was very cold when we arrived, but when we spoke to reception this was quickly rectified. The hot water did take a long time to run through, about 5mins, but eventually we had plenty of hot water for baths & showers. Also the extractor fan in the bathroom was filthy and desperately needed cleaning. However we're large, warm & fluffy. The staff were good & the food was very good, both at breakfast & dinner. Overall good value for money although wifi was very erratic!

Room Tip: Lovely views over sea at front, no views(other than bins) in other rooms.