“Not quite what they say !!!”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #24 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Leigh, United Kingdom
“Not quite what they say !!!”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We stayed for two nights in March 2012.
We booked through Late Rooms. On our arrival we were told we had one of their standard rooms on the side of the hotel. I pointed out that we had booked a Double Executive room. We were then informed that there was a mix up with the website booking however they had a sea-view room on the front, free, that they could let us have, made to feel like a second class citizen comes to mind.
Prior to our booking the hotel, we had received 3 emails about the luxury spa, no mention was made of the spa or any of the other hotel facilities such as the restaurant other than to say that the pool was shut.
The room was on the 3rd floor accessed via the lift. The room was a single room with a double bed squeezed in along with everything else. It was clean and tidy and the bed looked like the one in the picture, as for the sea view, great when you stand up to see it. Looking at the fire escape drawing ours was one of the smallest rooms in the hotel, I presume for anyone booking via Laterooms.
No easy chairs to sit on as shown on the website. One chair is provided at a small desk/table that was filled with the tea/coffee making goods. The kettle was there but with no socket to plug it in. On the window sill that went.
Large Old style Television set is provided, you need a degree in electronics to get it to work, two remote's are provided. The set top box cable doesn't reach to the set top, so that has to be perched at an angle to get it to work.
There was no hot water for a shower, rang to reception who advised that as we were on the 3rd floor it takes a while for the water to get there. left it running for 5 mins by which time a young lady was at the door to offer us another room to have a shower in! The water eventually got warm, a power shower it isn't, a dribble is more like it. I then worked it out you have to run the hot water in the sink for 8 mins and then turn the shower on at the same time.
We had breakfast included in our stay and it was excellent. The staff were pleasant and attentive, they even asked if we had enjoyed breakfast, which we had. They seem to know more about customer service than the hotel managers. If the restaurant staff ask about the breakfast why don’t the managers ask about our stay on the first night?
So what's the big problem with the Ambassador? I don't think there is one, just lots of small ones that they know about and choose to do nothing about. With a little more effort from the managers this could be a really great place to stay.
Would I recommend the hotel to others? No.
Would I stay again? No.
If they take on board my comments? Yes to both questions.

Room Tip: See our review
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Thank you for posting your recent review, I am sorry that your stay fell below expectations on this occasion and would be pleased to address the points raised.
In regards to the room allocation mentioned, bookings coming from third party sites such as Laterooms are automatically booked into our reservations software; we did notice, just prior to your stay that one of the room types sold on Laterooms was not mapping correctly to its counterpart in our software. This has now been resolved and I am sorry for any inconvenience caused, likewise I do apologise if the explanation received on check in was insufficient; we aim to treat all our guests with courtesy and friendliness so it is very disappointing to read that you felt that your treatment was second class.
We are continually upgrading our facilities and are in the process of replacing our older televisions which are currently equipped with standard Freeview set top boxes, I appreciate your pun regarding an 'electronics degree' and will look to put instructions in the rooms for future guests benefit.
I am also sorry that you experienced problems with the hot water supply, our plumbers are investigating this problem.
I would also like to apologise that we failed to check how you had enjoyed your stay upon departure, this should be part of every checkout conversation and I will discuss this with the reception team.
It is a real shame that this experience has left you unwilling to recommend or return in the future, hopefully my assurance that your points have been noted will go some way to restore your confidence in the Ambassador.
I sincerely hope that I will be able to welcome you back to the Ambassador at some point in the future, thank you once again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2012

My partner and I paid for the room through booking.com and received a very good rate for a 2 night stay (£78 for both nights, room only). Due to all the other rooms being listed on there for a substantial amount more, and from reading previous reviews our expectations were not that high. Upon arrival however, the room we were given was amazing! It was on the first floor with a sea view, I am guessing that we were given an upgrade for whatever reason without being told but we were beyond happy with the room! It was very clean and very comfortable and we couldn't fault a thing. We didn't eat or drink anything in the hotel because as somebody previously mentioned, £10.95 for breakfast is a bit steep when you can walk 15 min into the town center where there are plenty of places to choose from day and night. Overall though, lovely staff, great location and a thoroughly enjoyable stay. We will be back!

1 Thank Jen M
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Thank you for your honest review of your stay at The Ambassador Hotel. It was a pleasure to read that you had enjoyed your stay and that your expectations were exceeded. I am sorry that you chose not to eat in the hotel due to the pricing however as I have said in response to the earlier review I believe the £10.95 is a competitve price point for our Full Yorkshire breakfast, the ingredients of which are all high quality, and its accompanying continental buffet selection.
Thank you once again for your honest review, I do hope to welcome you back soon.
sunderland
Reviewed March 7, 2012

The Ambassador is the " new school " of Scarborough hotels and it was great to return for our 2nd visit.... The Hotel is situated in a very quiet location and we paid extra for a sea view which is well worth it. Our room was very clean and modern however shame the bathroom was a little tired - however very clean. We spent some time in the Hotel lounge enjoying live jazz and drinks were very reasonably priced. Breakfasts were good served in a very bright and cheery dining room. The pool was undergoing maintenance during our visit whch was a shame. I did have one slight niggle.... Reception welcome was poor - whilst the receptionist acknowledged we were there she took ages to check us in which was in fact uncomfortable especially when there seemed to be no other urgencies she was dealing with. This might seem trivial however not the best first impression - thankfully everything else was good !

Room Tip: sea view a must!
3 Thank jojo196
Thank you for your Tripadvisor review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for your positive comments. I am sorry that your check in was a slow process and that little urgency was shown and thank you for mentioning this.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Ambassador in the future.
Thank you.
West Yorkshire
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Myself and my wife have just returned from a short break to the Ambassador Hotel and stayed in room 207 we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist and our room was on first impressions very nice until we entered the bathroom which was clean as was our bedroom but the shower was old and needed updating there was rusty screws holding the bath panel on and well the dreaded shower curtain what can i say (WE DID NOT USE BATH OR SHOWER ) the bathroom just let what could have been a really good room down we had a great breakfast in the very nice dining room .This hotel is nice the staff are good just please sort out the bathrooms and you would have a very good Hotel

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that on the whole you had an enjoyable stay and that you were impressed with the bedroom, food and service. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the bathroom, whilst not all have yet been refurbished they should all be in a good, serviceable condition and your comments have been noted and attended to by our Housekeeping and Maintenance teams.
As mentioned in earlier responses, we anticipate that those remaining bathrooms will be refurbished in the coming months after our Spa transformation; in the meantime should you be returning to the Ambassador I would highly recommend our Premier Deluxe rooms with their luxury bathrooms and stunning sea views.
Thank you once again.
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Having stayed here before I knew what to expect and wasn't disappointed in the slightest! Room spotless and cleaned daily (we had a 2 night stay) beds lovely and comfy, bath nice and big! We did have 2 small issues 1:Breakfast £10.95 each is a lot especially when you can go to the oasis on marine drive for an excellent breakfast and at half the price! 2:Curtains don't expect a lie in with these the let all the light but like I said only small issue didn't effect what was an all in all great stay thanks guys!!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Yorkyboy8
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor, I was pleased to read that this stay met with the expectations created by your past visits. I welcome your comments regarding the pricing of our Breakfast but I believe that £10.95 is competitive given the continental choice offered alongside the full English. I would also like to thank you for your comments regarding the curtains which are of course quite new; I will investigate this further as our guests' getting a good nights sleep is very important to us. I hope that the stunning sea views behind the curtain go some way to appease the matter of the morning sunshine creeping in.
Thank you once again, we hope to see you again soon.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2012

We had a great time thanks. The staff in the restaurant were attentive, the live entertainment (particularly Saturday night) was really good and we thoroughly enjoyed our ‘Mud Bath’ experience. We will definitely return in the future and would not hesitate to recommend the Ambassador to our friends and family.

Thank you for a great weekend break.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sue H
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Ambassador, it is always a pleasure to know that our guests have enjoyed our stay. I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed your Mud Rasul, this treatment has proved incredibly popular since we started offering it.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Ambassador soon.
YORK
Reviewed February 21, 2012

We stayed here a Friday and a Saturday night and found it a bit of a mixed bag. They have clearly had a recent refurb and the bedroom was nicely furnished and tastefully decorated in the brown-and-cream-with-touches-of-turquoise which seems to be the thing, but lacked character – old photos of Scarborough or paintings by local artists would have made it a bit more personal. However, there is, of course, the view which is superb – a huge bay window gave views of the sea, the headland with the castle and the beach, with two wing armchairs to sit in to admire it. The bathroom was small but adequate with nice toiletries and huge towels and the whole room was warm and cosy except when the wind got up, when it was a bit draughty near the window.

The bar and restaurant had also been refurbished and were very comfortable and again had great views. The big let down was the food. It sounds good on the menu but it just wasn’t very good quality – oversweet orange juice at breakfast and very ordinary bread, although the jam was topnotch. I had scrambled eggs the first morning and they were very watery. We ate in the restaurant both evenings; on the first, the receptionist hadn’t passed on our booking so we were greeted with “we are rather busy” but they fitted us in and it was fine although the food was disappointing and rather bland. The second evening, they brought us the starters before we had been brought our drinks! We asked if they would be arriving soon, were told that they would, but it was another five minutes before they did. Not a huge problem, but surely the management could make sure that sort of thing didn’t happen? Curiously, there was very little fresh fish or seafood on the menu – there was prawn cocktail but that would presumably be frozen prawns and mussels which were very small and lacking flavour although the liquor they were cooked in was good and haddock and chips, but why no daily specials of fresh fish?

There was entertainment in the bar both nights, on the Friday, a young chap accompanying himself on the acoustic guitar was not bad at all as he had a good voice. On the Saturday there was a band, again doing covers, but they weren’t bad, just a bit much for a small venue. I’d rather have no entertainment, but if there has to be some, it could have been a lot worse.

The staff were very pleasant and helpful to everyone and although there was an event on in the function room on the Saturday, it did not affect those of us not involved. Parking was easy outside, either free or free with a permit from the hotel.

What I can’t understand is why someone doesn’t open a hotel at the seaside which caters for people who want to be comfortable and have really good food and no naff entertainment. There must be a market for it – a hotel that is a destination in itself, like ones you get inland, but with lovely coastal views. We’d go there often!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VisitorsfromYork
Thank you for your recent review, I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay on the whole. I would also like to thank you for your suggestion regarding the choice of artwork and we will be looking into this in the near future.
I do apologise for the communication error that meant your table was not reserved for dinner but I am pleased that our team dealt with this in a professional manner and seated you for dinner. I am sorry to read your comments on the menu however and will discuss these with the chef, certainly your feedback about daily fish specials, sadly in recent years there has been a decline in local fishing in Scarborough.
Thank you once again for your frank review.